I just ordered my conversion from TAK-47 for my Saiga 12 and that got me to thinking. Is it also legal to convert my MAK90 with 922R parts? If so then where do I find a US made stock or any PG type stock to match the slant cut on the back of the receiver? I have had an ATI thumhole stock on it for years and really want to change it!

Ironwood Designs makes one of the few angle-cut 922r stock sets for the MAK. Are you sure that it is angle cut? I got mine home after purchase and that was the first thing I did with it, but I may just be neurotic about finding stuff like that out. If you can do other things besides the trigger group to convert, it may be best. The stock trigger on them is very good. I used a double hook G2 in mine but opted to keep the chinese hammer. Still feels as good as it did before. And now I'll pic whore mine:

post-38885-0-77782700-1351282054_thumb.jpg

Tapco Timbersmith stock, Tapco standard AK PG, G2 internals (minus the hammer). Just keep in mind if you DO NOT have an angle cut, you can fit any standard AK stock to it BUT it will take a bit of sanding to the areas that insert into the receiver because the chinese receiver is 1.5mm instead of the Romanian standard 1mm. Good luck with it beer.gif

Edited by VR6Shooter

NICE ,you want to trade? Thanks for the reply unfortunately I am sure it is a slant cut, I actually put a PG stock on it once and made a small metal filler piece. I had it out one day and the A hole I bought it from started shouting that I had an illegal gun and that I was going to jail. I just left, took the stock off and sold it and NEVER bought anything from him again! I didnt know anything about 922R untill I logged on to this forum obviously he didnt know as much as he thought he did.

MOST AWESOME I just looked at the ironwood designs page thanks a bunch VR6 Shooter!!

Edited by misterT

Nothing illegal about them now, that finding compliance parts cant fix. Hell, being in a free state you can thread the barrel and add a US made brake. Won't add a part for compliance but it will be functional. Just pick up parts, and verify you have enough using this (http://gunwiki.net/G...erifyCompliance) and you will be set. the Ironwood sets I have seen on MAKs while I was searching look beautiful. You can choose how you want it to look and stain the wood accordingly. Makes for a very nice job and a beautiful rifle. You could even get a stain job and have the Red China flag painted on, probably really piss that guy off once he seen it 021.gif

Edited by VR6Shooter
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks to Vr6 shooter for the info on ironwood designs I really like the Walnut stock but it is $200. Years ago I made a filler piece to attach a regular AK47 stock to my slant cut MAK90 then took it off to be legal

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/gallery/image/7776-mak-90-filler-plate-fro-ak-stock/

I am thinking about using it again with the proper 922r comliant parts to keep it legal. Any thoughts, will the stock be supported enough. Maybe add a flat head screw above the PG into the bottom of the stock tang. Or should I just not be so cheap and buck up the $200 for an Ironwood stock?

I really did not want to weld onto the receiver either, I do have a wire welder. But it would throw weld spatter all over everything and I would be concerned about the effect of heat on the receiver. If I had a TIG welder I would consider that, I just wondered if attaching the filler piece to the stock for cosmetic purposes mostly. Then maybe using a flat head screw from underneith would suffice. I am just not sure how much support is added on the sides and the bottom by having the stock firmly butted up against it on all sides.

Edited by misterT