How To Improve Saiga Trigger And Stay In Sporter Configuration?

I'm in California, and I do not like bullet buttons, so I want to improve my Saiga 5.45 trigger without converting it to AK configuration (keep it in the sporter configuration).

Dinzag sells a FCG for the sporter. It is apparently a Tapco G2 single stage FCG with the trigger milled off.

Apparently the Saiga comes with a 2 stage FCG.

Would replacing the 2 stage FCG with a single stage FCG improve the trigger?

Is the single stage FCG safe?

What other options might there be besides the Dinzag FCG?

How new is your rifle? I know when I got my used 2002 7.62x39, the trigger seemed alright, it had been shot a few times before it got to me though. If yours is brand new it may not be worn in yet.

I would lightly polish the contact points on the linkage first. I think the more material you take off the linkage, the more slop you will get in your pull, so go easy. As for the hook and hammer contact points, hit it with some 600grit, and polish then see what you get.

Sometimes two polished surfaces seem to create more friction than if they were lightly sanded in the direction they slide off each other. So if you dont get what what you like after they are polished, go back and re sand and see if it gets any better.

But seriously, converting your gun is the only solid remedy to your question. It feels so much more balanced, the trigger pull is better, not to mention it actually looks like an ak (not a kalashnikov mini 14). I think you would get the hang of the bullet button quicker than you think, and have the added benefits. 2c.gif

The Saiga is new.

Its not just that I don't like bullet buttons, its also that legislation was introduced this year to ban rifles with bullet buttons in California. It failed to pass because it was introduced too late in the year, but it will probably be back early next year.

I actually plan to make the rifle 922r compliant so that I can install a bullet guide while keeping it in the sporter configuration. So I definitely need to replace the FCG.

The Saiga is new.

Its not just that I don't like bullet buttons, its also that legislation was introduced this year to ban rifles with bullet buttons in California. It failed to pass because it was introduced too late in the year, but it will probably be back early next year.

I actually plan to make the rifle 922r compliant so that I can install a bullet guide while keeping it in the sporter configuration. So I definitely need to replace the FCG.

You won't have to swap out the FCG to make it compliant. Tapco ten round AK mags & Tapco Saiga Interfuse HG will make the rifle 922 compliant.

Why install a bullet guide when mags over ten rounds are banned in California? Saiga factory ten rounds mags can be found for around $15 or less.

http://tapco.com/products/ak/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=300

http://tapco.com/products/saiga/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=155

Those appear to be AK mags, not Saiga mags. I can use 10 round AK mags with a bullet guide. Factory mags are over $40 each and hard to find.

I also want to improve the trigger and keep the sporter configuration.

Edited by tbryanh

Those appear to be AK mags, not Saiga mags. I can use 10 round AK mags with a bullet guide. Factory mags are over $40 each and hard to find.

PM sent

Here is a Youtube tutorial on how to improve the trigger on the stock Saiga.

Thanks for that! I've got three with that type trigger and now I want to do that mod to them. Not a problem on the .308's though, they have a crisp trigger already (besides the funky shape) and work great for me...

I've seen that youtube video. The mod looks good. I should get the same results with Dinzag's FCGNPG FCG Non PG (non pistol grip).

Dinzag takes the Tapco G2 FCG and mills the trigger off. The G2 is single stage from Tapco.

Dinzag also narrows the FCG a little to fit the Saiga. The G2 is for an actual AK, so it won't quite fit the Saiga unless it is narrowed. At least that is what I have heard.

Dinzag also polishes the hammer and sear where they contact each other.

I considered doing the mod in the video, but I plan to eventually make the Saiga 922r compliant, then I can add the bullet guide and put AK mags into the Saiga. Of course while I am in California, I will stick to 10-round mags. All this without needing a bullet button.

Side note: I am new to rifles, but is seems a little strange the disconnector in the stock FCG contacts the hammer just before the hammer releases. This creates the second stage. Seems like an odd way to make a second stage. Maybe in the AK, it feels good, but it is funky in the Saiga. I know the Saiga trigger linkage adds to the problem, but in my limitted experience, it just seems odd for the disconnector to contact the hammer.

Edited by tbryanh

I just did the mod to my new 5.45 and polished the contact surfaces. I have to say I am impressed. All this with a hand file, some fine sandpaper on a paint mixing stick and some metal polish. I am going to convert mine and go with the Tapco anyway, but with funds being limited after buying the rifle, this will have to work for now. It's not too bad with the skeletonized Saiga stock that I had laying around and put on it.

As far as narrowing the FCG, that is only necessary if you go back in with the bolt hold open. I left mine out on my 223 for now until I have the time to modify it so that it doesn't hit my trigger finger so much.

• 2 weeks later...

I installed Dinzag's FCGNPG FCG into my Saiga. It is a modified single stage Tapco G2 FCG.

This FCG has improved the trigger so much. The trigger is now better than the stock trigger in my near new mini 14.

I recommend Dinzag's FCG to anyone who wants to improve their Saiga trigger and keep their rifle in the sporter configuration.

Edited by tbryanh

I know my Saiga 7.62 mags were around ~25 from Mississippi Auto Arms, I live in KA too which is why I left my Saiga alone. Shoot it more and it will get better. I'm not too worried about Yee and his gang of thugs as I have family out of state...I'm more worried about crap happening at the Federal level.

• 2 months later...

Looking for 10 rd, Tapco mags in 5.45 cal.

NYS law makes buying 10 rd mags ( AFTER April , 2013)....illegal, after April can only buy 7 rd mags for ANY gun.

So...I'd like to get some now but EVERYONE is out of stock.

Does anyone here have any?....even Saiga 10 rd mags? My clock is ticking.