Going through the same agonizing decision myself. Either a 16'' Vepr 308 Version 2, or a 16'' Saiga 308. Seems like a the Saiga has more options for magazines, and furniture, but the Vepr comes almost readily converted with only a few parts needed for 922r.

I'm pretty well read on the Saiga 308, lurking these forums and what not. I wish I knew more about the Veprs, and if it would be as viable converting to a battle rifle type setup.

Ok. Update!!!! I made up my mind. Especially with the price that Centerfire systems has. $599.00 for the vepr 308. i got the 21 inch barrel. the hunters and supers are at $899 right now. I can't believe i missed out on the $499.00 left hand stock ones.

Anyway after agonizing forever here's why i decided to go with the vepr.

One the obvious reinforced rereceiver and cold hammer forge barrel. already converted and if i want to ....there is a rereceiver mod that i can buy from carolinas shooters to change it from a slant receiver to square for about $40.00 bucks. I figured i will shoot it like it is and if i just have to go with stock configuration it would be pretty sinmple to switch it over.

Mags are and issue but with Csspecs mags, Unita and promag i figure i would be able to get a stash of viable mags with not much fuss.

I went with the stock thumb hole as i guess the more i shoot my converted saigas the more i appreciate the simple rugged practical design of the AK.

The super vepr and hunter seemed to add to much weight but........ those stocks and that fluted barrel Oh my!!!! Still i couldn't live with the added weight, push button safety, mag release in trigger guard and only a three hundred yard non windage adjustable rear sight. Others may see them as upgrades i see them as unnecessary and awkward. Oh yeah and the price!!! anyway to each his own.

finally, Again the recent price drop for a NIB vepr when the Saigas i have found are the same or higher and will require extra $100.00 or more to convert.....It seemed to be a message from the God's.

Well it should be here within the week. I can't wait.

thats my story and i am sticking to it!!!

• Like 2

Pifft they go out of business every year..

Except this time there is other evidence to back it up.

They have been in distress for a while to be sure but unless you want to tie to a dying horse choose the Vepr or other.

Doesn't matter if we like it or not just is what it is.

I payed $699 for mine. (20 inch bbl, version 2)

The justifyable part for me. It came with a Cspecs 20 round mag. :D

VEPR is where it's at. I don't have to grind, punch out rivets and pry stuff out/off.

However. I will admit this. If it were not for my Saiga 12, I may not have so easily found my professional calling in life. I love Machine & Tool Tech class. :)

Thanks for the info Rhodes.

DAM!!! Its an end of an era. This will probably mean that other manufactures will bump up their prices. No wander i couldn't find a new inexpensive Saiga. Glad i i have the 7.62 x 39 and .223 in the gun safe. i was going to sell the 7.62 x 39 and all my mags and ammo to fund gearing up for the .308 but now i may just go on a TOP Ramen diet for a while to make up the funds. Hmmmm!!!!

Still i love my saigas and had it not been for the great price on the Vepr I would have continued to look for the Saiga. I can't wait to get my hands on the Vepr and sling some lead down range.

Wish I had bought a truckload back when I could get S308s for 399.00. Ah well now I have to decide which route to take Vepr or FAL. Maybe even M1A if I can find a good one. Damnit

I shot a FAL it was great. But I went to the VEPR .308 out of price and known reliability. I was in the market for a hunting rifle in .308 and I had been wanting a Semi-Auto .308 for some time. So the idea merged into my VEPR. Price, reliability and a rifle type that I have the most trigger time on. Not to mention the VEPR is designed with hunting in mind.

I like it and now that I have the pistol grip and Warsaw polymer stock on it with the adapter, I like it even better, feels more natural to me. Can't wait to slay a deer with it. I'd take pictures but my Ronin fore grip has not come in yet so it has a polymer stock and pistol grip in black but a walnut foregrip. I want to take pics when it is complete.

But since you're thinking about any of the three, may I suggest all 3 and a Garand too? :D

Classic Firearms

They used ye old G2 single hook.

considering the G2 cost around $30, the 10rd to 20rd mag upgrade another $20, and if I remembered right, centerfire charges 3% credit card fee.....classic's price is about as good as the centerfire's "sale" price. Too bad they are also out of 20" V02....

Classic Firearms

They used ye old G2 single hook.

considering the G2 cost around $30, the 10rd to 20rd mag upgrade another $20, and if I remembered right, centerfire charges 3% credit card fee.....classic's price is about as good as the centerfire's "sale" price. Too bad they are also out of 20" V02....

Sorry, I think I literally grabbed the last one they had in stock last month. :) (Not kidding)

I'm digging the Warsaw stock on this thing though. It's inline with the barrel, should make the recoil come straight back and I can still line the sights up easy. The wood stock adapter though, for my particular rifle was a few thousanths off at the end where it hooks in under the pistol grip nut. It would literally not let me pull the trigger when I tested it after I installed everything. Without my stock I could pull the trigger but with it it could not. So I removed it all and went to the dremel and shaved a few thousandths off, removed the burrs and put it all back on in a mock up, bingo, problem solved. So just a heads up about that out there. And the Kvar stocks need a lot of material removed on the insert section in order to fit, just saying. Just reprofile the insert section to the heights and widths of the insert section of the wood stock and you'll be pretty close starting off. As for the longer step down. It needs to be even smaller so it fits in behind the safety and grip screw. Some of the rear trunnion and it's rivets get in the way. It's solid as a rock and ready to go now. :)

You know, this is just from the perspective of one lone man, but You guys are an influential forum on the internet, and Its my bet that if you petitioned the importers such as RAA and EAA to import a bunch more of saigas(or at least have them inquire about doing so) then the factory wouldnt mind paying their workers a bit more in return for the huge orders that would be processed.

I don't like milled receivers. SOrry VEPRs, but rivets were what kalashnikov chose rivets, and effectively made milling obsolete.

Come on, make your voice heard, get some noise going to the importers to import the saiga.

You know, this is just from the perspective of one lone man, but You guys are an influential forum on the internet, and Its my bet that if you petitioned the importers such as RAA and EAA to import a bunch more of saigas(or at least have them inquire about doing so) then the factory wouldnt mind paying their workers a bit more in return for the huge orders that would be processed.

I don't like milled receivers. SOrry VEPRs, but rivets were what kalashnikov chose rivets, and effectively made milling obsolete.

Come on, make your voice heard, get some noise going to the importers to import the saiga.

vepr's are not milled. they are merely a thicker receiver stamped in a similar process. also many sections are welded together. even the AK-47's have welds holding them together. Edited by Dracozny

vepr's are not milled. they are merely a thicker receiver stamped in a similar process. also many sections are welded together. even the AK-47's have welds holding them together.

Ah. Still, i find the extra pound not worth it. Ive also seen the difference between both receivers' rear sections. Its an ak100 series rifle vs the rpk. And the ace stock the vepr has is not pretty. If i wanted a target rifle, a pretty one, id get a vepr.

I bought my super, not because its pretty but because its built like a brick S#!! house. its not the lightest thing in the world but if I drop it I know I can pick it up and it will not have any issues, and I can beat the crap out of my enemy if I needed to as well. fitted out scope and all its just over 15 lbs. which from my experience in the military is still a fairly light rifle.

that depends on a number of factors but sure. let me know how well clubbing someone over the head with an Ar15 goes. the point is I bought it because it can take the punishment when it needs to.

its doable. But i dont fancy Ar15's. civilian clones of the sr25, sure. but id rather use the barrel as a weapon on those.

[editing out me saying that saigas are better]

EDIT: you know, its those great moments where you're thinking about what exactly you're putting down, and you realize something. The trigger on a vepr is already forward. putting that adaptor on makes things a whole lot easier. although, i heard that the front handguard is difficult to change. Im also now concerned about 922r, seeing as you arent changing the trigger. for the record ive hopped off the .308 train. would much rather play with cheap ammo.

What are your plans with your gun? Im going to look into how you turn these things into something mean but, im curious.

Edited by BK201

that depends on a number of factors but sure. let me know how well clubbing someone over the head with an Ar15 goes. the point is I bought it because it can take the punishment when it needs to.

its doable. But i dont fancy Ar15's. civilian clones of the sr25, sure. but id rather use the barrel as a weapon on those.

[editing out me saying that saigas are better]

EDIT: you know, its those great moments where you're thinking about what exactly you're putting down, and you realize something. The trigger on a vepr is already forward. putting that adaptor on makes things a whole lot easier. although, i heard that the front handguard is difficult to change. Im also now concerned about 922r, seeing as you arent changing the trigger. for the record ive hopped off the .308 train. would much rather play with cheap ammo.

What are your plans with your gun? Im going to look into how you turn these things into something mean but, im curious.

I love the round, its versatile and comes in a ton of options, I know its not the cheapest of rounds but with reloading prices can come down a bit.

The only big change I am considering is swapping the stock, I haven't decided yet. the main reason is I may be taking my super with me on a new job which will subject it to some more environmental factors. wood is nice and although I know it can take a beating fiberglass might be a better choice. I don't think I would change the overall look of the rifle. I think its laid out just about right so just cloning it in fiberglass, maybe slim the profile of the foregrip a tad. the trigger group is a tad too long of a pull so I would like to do something about that at some point as well.