that depends on a number of factors but sure. let me know how well clubbing someone over the head with an Ar15 goes. the point is I bought it because it can take the punishment when it needs to.

its doable. But i dont fancy Ar15's. civilian clones of the sr25, sure. but id rather use the barrel as a weapon on those.

[editing out me saying that saigas are better]

EDIT: you know, its those great moments where you're thinking about what exactly you're putting down, and you realize something. The trigger on a vepr is already forward. putting that adaptor on makes things a whole lot easier. although, i heard that the front handguard is difficult to change. Im also now concerned about 922r, seeing as you arent changing the trigger. for the record ive hopped off the .308 train. would much rather play with cheap ammo.

What are your plans with your gun? Im going to look into how you turn these things into something mean but, im curious.

I love the round, its versatile and comes in a ton of options, I know its not the cheapest of rounds but with reloading prices can come down a bit.

The only big change I am considering is swapping the stock, I haven't decided yet. the main reason is I may be taking my super with me on a new job which will subject it to some more environmental factors. wood is nice and although I know it can take a beating fiberglass might be a better choice. I don't think I would change the overall look of the rifle. I think its laid out just about right so just cloning it in fiberglass, maybe slim the profile of the foregrip a tad. the trigger group is a tad too long of a pull so I would like to do something about that at some point as well.

i saw a 762x 39 with stock furniture and a high cap mag. now, i wish i could figure out how to do that 922r compliant. it was beautiful. then again, i will more than likely go for a thumbhole stock for a saiga. i just have better availability on what im looking for with that. But i do think a vepr looks sexy if you just change the mag

my personal opinion on the 922r is, its a matter of actual enforcement. most cops don't even understand the ruling. and unless your one of those who get inspected by the ATF for some strange reason or you have an FFL than its unlikely you will have an issue.

the 7.62x39 is capable of accepting most standard AK mags and drums fyi.

Edited by Dracozny

I finally got to put my hands on the vepr this weekend. It definitely feels more substantial than the saigas. The fit and finish is a level above. It does feel a bit nose heavy not too much but noticeable. I hope to get it out to the range this weekend see what it will do. I don't know if i will change the trigger to the tapco g2 as the width of the trigger seems a bit narrow. I guess i am just used to the tapco's trigger. the veprs trigger seems a little on the heavy side but that will lighten up with use. I am not sure about the grip angle of the wood stock,,,,i am used to the hogue grip on my others. Only time will tell. Sweet gun glad i took advantage of the price drop. Oh yeah!!! it is a 21 inch barrel. don't know what everyone has been on about the length it seems rather manageable. If i ever find that i don't like it then i will take it down to 18 inch and thread it for flash hider and suppressor.

im actually leaning towards an ak variant instead of the saiga. I've managed to get a relative in on the idea, and, piggybacking on the political and economic questionability of the future, will have some earlier funding and a slightly higher budget to go after say, an AMD and do ti the way i want. Ergonomics aren't a problem, I already like it and know what needs changing.

Unless anyone has heard of the darn thing shortstroking like one person tried to tell me. I searched the heck out of the rifle on the site and found nothing but rainbows and daisies

I had an AMD65 in years past. great little weapon, i found it loud but accurate for what it is. easy to carry, quick to deploy in cramp environment etc. I prefer to be able to shoulder the weapon and fire for more accuracy. still all in all its a fun weapon. never had an issue with mine. stay in touch and let us know what happens.

I had an AMD65 in years past. great little weapon, i found it loud but accurate for what it is. easy to carry, quick to deploy in cramp environment etc. I prefer to be able to shoulder the weapon and fire for more accuracy. still all in all its a fun weapon. never had an issue with mine. stay in touch and let us know what happens.

i will. ill be having more than one shooter "training" on the platform, so ill make sure i get some comments from them as well.bear in mind, they won't have much gun knowledge. haha

I finally got a chance to get out to the range. Man I have a new favorite rifle. Other than ammo cost, I don't know why most people aren't using the .308 (vepr or saiga). i don't think the percieved recoil is much more than the 76.2 x39. it didn't take more than 20 rounds to get it on at 100. I took my time starting at 25 yards....where of course with the sights on the bull the impact was about 6 inchs low and about 4 inchs low at 50 yards. it was here that i actually moved the sight to hit a several bulls with a 6 o'clock hold. I had to adjust the sights again at 100. It was all cake after that.

Seriously, I was expecting more of a sharp recoil. It was a soft push very easy to shoot and absolutly no discomfort. i went through about 50 rounds. I should have been shooting this a long time ago.

honestly I think the 20 or is it 21 inch barrel is not that big of a deal in handling of the weapon. i guess time will tell.

this is a bone stock vepr right out of the box with a little oil. I thought i wasn't going to like the trigger but the two stage feel wasn't all that bad. I am sure with a little polishing it may be a keeper.

I had decent 2 some 3 inch groups out at 100yds with tulla 145 grain. Man i was impressed with this weapon.

Now my tendancy to never leave well enough alone i replaced the rear sights with krebs peep. Yes i have them on both my saigas so why not. I took one from one of my saigas and figured i would give it a go. I definitley could acquire the front sight post quicker and see it with greater calrity. due to the height of the peep i had to adjust the front sight and 3 turns down to get the impact on the bull.

groups opened up a bit as there really is no uber reliable way to lock in horizontal alignment. My eyes were getting a little tired at this poitn as well. Thats my excuse and i am sticking to it!!!

Anyway for the first outing i was super pleased. i am going to continue to switch between rear sights to see which one i like the best. I am may try to open up the OEM rear notch to allow more light for quicker accquistion.

i am feeling like a kid in the candy store for the first time. Great weapon and round.

Now to get it to 922r compliance for high cap mags, i may have to give up the stock trigger. correct me if i am wrong as all in need is the trigger group say the tapco g2 single hook and a new piston.

dam can't weight to get it back out to the range again.

the perma grin is casuing my teeth to hurt. LOL

• Like 1

To my understanding. According to the jobson site, the mag is counted as mag body, mag follower and mag floorplate. I selected Saiga Rifle and then selected the AK and with a US FCG, I was good to go. This explains my high cap mag conversion that was done before I bought my VEPR .308 They used the Tapco G2 FCG and that's it. According to jobson, whoever did my conversion did it properly.

This is what I've discovered. Btw, with the Saiga rifle the jobson site says you only need two of 3 of the FCG parts to be US made to use US made magazines. The AK selection, jobson site said you need all three for using US made mags.

I can say this site link is not given enough on this site. It makes 922r stupid easy. I'll link it, no one will likely complain as it might help the company site affiliates sell a few more US made parts. :)

http://jobson.us/922r/