Rear Plate that Actually Fits Saiga 12?

I bought a Saiga back in the distant past, but I didn't finish the conversion. I moved the trigger group back, and I cut off the tang and got myself a Magnolia State Armory adapter to mount a buttstock.

It turned out the adapter didn't really fit. I laid the project aside, and now I want to finish it. I could weld a plate in there, but the receiver looks to be about 1/16" thick, which is REALLY thin for MIG welding, and I don't see how I can get the tip of a welding gun in there without destroying everything.

I can make the existing adapter work, but I'm wondering if there is something better out there. Also, I rounded off the upper corner of the receiver and trunnion (don't ask), putting about a 1/16" radius on it. Wondering if there is some way to fix this.

Today I got new screws for the Magnolia State adapter. I thought it took four M4 screws and one M5, but the screws I bought don't want to go in.

I could weld a plate in there, but the receiver looks to be about 1/16" thick, which is REALLY thin for MIG welding, and I don't see how I can get the tip of a welding gun in there without destroying everything.

If you have a good hand, stick weld it from the outside with a 3/32" electrode @ 70 amps & you should have sufficient penetration.

If you're not really good with an arc welder, I wouldn't try that though.

You can cut the sticks in half for precision work if your hand is not steady enough with the full length! Maybe post some more details and pictures as to why it does not fit, their are a LOT of members on here that have done that before. I am sure you will get the answers you need to make it work.

The adapter will fit, but you have to make if fit. The reason the screws won't go in is because the holes don't line up exactly. Do what you need to do to line them up.

If you want to weld it in there, just have it TIG welded at a good welding shop. They can also fill in your rounded off mistakes and old rivet holes.

If you want to weld it in there, just have it TIG welded at a good welding shop. They can also fill in your rounded off mistakes and old rivet holes.

What's your rationale for specifying TIG welding a plate over other processes (gas excluded) if done skillfully?

Just curious.

What's your rationale for specifying TIG welding a plate over other processes (gas excluded) if done skillfully?

Just curious.

Yes, you are right, a skilled welder can do it quite nicely either way, I just like TIG better because it is less sparky and smokey etc.

• 3 weeks later...

I got this thing installed. It's not beautiful, but it will work. A long time ago I started making one from steel. I should finish it and toss the aluminum.

I recently bought an AMD65 rifle. I like the folding mechanism. I think I should look the guns over side by side and see if there is any possibility of putting something similar on the Saiga.

The screws that came with my adapter are larger than the holes in the receiver. I had to open the holes up.