steel s12 mags. Project completed.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We made the call today to suspend low capacity production for the time being on all products. 8 rounds will be the smallest 12 round the largest. We will make the small sizes later if/when restriction

Update of sorts. Ended up getting stuck on a vepr .308 batch for a few extra days. Had to come up with a new clamping fixture for the S-12 since the first one gave me a sore elbow in 20 parts, took a

He has already said in this thread first batch will be 8 rounders.   I want larger magazines, but mostly I look forward to that first batch and I want that first batch to be good, and I want it as

Posted Images

What would be the interest in 3, 5, 8, 10 and 12 round capacities? With those options how many of what do you want (not looking for any preorder type thing, just what kind of popularity for each size).

As for Mag well compatibility. We would probably do that as a side project down the road if possible.

Oh 12 or even more would be awesome, but I figured you would have better success selling the 10s.

I think most people would be looking to buy 1-2 steel mags for the night stand gun, etc. Whether it is true or not, people seem to think that 8 is the magic number for length and reliability.

IMO, even if that is true for existing mags, there is no reason why it has to be true for yours. I mostly think this is part of the whole "factory must be best" mentality. There may be some truth for existing 12 rounders, but I am not aware of any evidence that 10 rounders perform any worse than 8 rounders. There are franken mags that work with light loads up to 20 shells. I am sure that with a good strong spring, you could make a 13 rounder that could reliably lift 12 or 13 heavy 3" loads without lagging. People whose gun has issues with a drum would probably have the same issues to a lesser degree with a stick mag and strong spring, but you can always say so up front. I think the people who want these for durability and more certain reliability would be the same people willing to do the proper gas/friction mods anyway.

Of course, you could simply obtain an IZZy 8 and give it to your beta tester along with your mags and have people count the failures and replace the hype with numbers.

I don't expect you to make ready made magwell models, but if possible, making them such that I could grind down the front and have the back angle relative to the lug match the external dimensions of the SGM mag would open up that whole market for you.

Or it may be more profitable to make one just for the 030/vepr crowd. Those guys are already willing to pay extra.

Side thought. give it a bit of clearance in the back portion for those with LRBHOs such as cadiz makes. It won't hurt for anyone else's gun, and would just mean a bit deeper dip in the stamp that punches out the mag.

• Like 1

And a S12 8 round.

Rock n Lock, like the factory.

This. 8 round steel mags. Must be reliable with 3" shells. Preferably with 2-3/4" also.

IMO the 10 and 12 round mags are for use by gamers and as range toys. The currently available plastic mags are generally adequate for that. For a fighting shotgun, 8 round mags would be ideal, but we need dependable magazines that are available in usable quantities for less than the russian 8 rounders.

• Like 2

I don't know about the feedlips, but on the mag angle are you referring to the curvature of the mag? Are you thinking about making it more strait, or curving it more? Personally I don't care, whatever you do to make it reliable is fine with me.

On the S-12 mags is anyone bothered by changing aspects of the design away from the Factory design? Like feedlip length or changing the angle the magazine hangs from the shotgun?

I would assume you would change it to improve it. Anything that actually works better is better. You obviously are capable of making things that work, and I don't necessarily think that the factory got it perfect on the first try. Change away.

I would think something that holds the shell in line for more of the feed stroke would be a good thing. I.e. the majority of users have guns that predate the extended barrel hood, so there is a potential for jam there with shells that are shorter. If your design can hold the shell by more of the length in the brass area, it may keep a shell from shifting so that it points upward of the intended alignment. I bet adding even an eighth inch more length to the forward edge of the feed lips would create enough leverage in favor of the mag spring to significantly reduce the possibility of a barrel hood jam. Am I making sense?

Another concern for me with metal mags/ feed lips is rough or sharp edges on the feedlips. I have noticed that my factory mags have rough stamped edges on the steel feed lip clip that cause a very gritty drag on the shell as it is pushed forward. The SGM mags are smooth. While both work fine, smoother is obviously superior. Now that I am reloading, paying attention to damaged brass is more of an issue too.

Just to be fair in giving you market assessment. I figure I would buy at least one. I am happy with the magazines I have, so I doubt I would buy more than three.

If MD ever drops the DS mags (and they work well), I'd still pick up one or two of yours, but would probably focus on the DS mags. I am mostly looking to have a very solid magazine for HD, for each of my guns. I trust the ones I have now, so yours would just rotate to primary duty with the old ones as backup.

I am sure there are guys who believe in steel, and will sell all their plastic mags and trade in for steel, but I am not one of them.

On the other hand, if I manage to get the local competition style play going, and I can make your magazines work with the magwell, I might get a few for that. It depends on whether yours work with a magwell and whether dropping them in a hurry will beat them up.

I don't like dropping SGM mags onto rocky ground. With steel, they could either be more durable, or prone to dents.

8-10 round are my preferred size mags.

Feedlip and curvature change not big issue for me.

Maybe window or some round indicator holes? Like glock mags

Edit to add rock n lock preferred

Edited by garnaz

On the S-12 mags is anyone bothered by changing aspects of the design away from the Factory design? Like feedlip length or changing the angle the magazine hangs from the shotgun?

I would assume you would change it to improve it. Anything that actually works better is better. You obviously are capable of making things that work, and I don't necessarily think that the factory got it perfect on the first try. Change away.

I would think something that holds the shell in line for more of the feed stroke would be a good thing. I.e. the majority of users have guns that predate the extended barrel hood, so there is a potential for jam there with shells that are shorter. If your design can hold the shell by more of the length in the brass area, it may keep a shell from shifting so that it points upward of the intended alignment. I bet adding even an eighth inch more length to the forward edge of the feed lips would create enough leverage in favor of the mag spring to significantly reduce the possibility of a barrel hood jam. Am I making sense?

Another concern for me with metal mags/ feed lips is rough or sharp edges on the feedlips. I have noticed that my factory mags have rough stamped edges on the steel feed lip clip that cause a very gritty drag on the shell as it is pushed forward. The SGM mags are smooth. While both work fine, smoother is obviously superior. Now that I am reloading, paying attention to damaged brass is more of an issue too.

Just to be fair in giving you market assessment. I figure I would buy at least one. I am happy with the magazines I have, so I doubt I would buy more than three.

If MD ever drops the DS mags (and they work well), I'd still pick up one or two of yours, but would probably focus on the DS mags. I am mostly looking to have a very solid magazine for HD, for each of my guns. I trust the ones I have now, so yours would just rotate to primary duty with the old ones as backup.

I am sure there are guys who believe in steel, and will sell all their plastic mags and trade in for steel, but I am not one of them.

On the other hand, if I manage to get the local competition style play going, and I can make your magazines work with the magwell, I might get a few for that. It depends on whether yours work with a magwell and whether dropping them in a hurry will beat them up.

I don't like dropping SGM mags onto rocky ground. With steel, they could either be more durable, or prone to dents.

The feedlip length on the factory S-12 magazine is limited by the step in the body, if it had extended the forces exerted on the feedlips could pop them off. Since we weld all our parts on it stands to reason that we could support the round for a longer duration.. Your correct that longer feedlips would likely prevent barrel hood jams, I'd have to test them on a close to production model to know what the possible side effects could be.

We would likely have the feedlips laser or water jet cut and then have them deburred. The factory parts are blanked which tends to make sharp edges.

As for dropping them.. Steel does dent, there is no getting around it, and no amount of ribbing and hardening will make it dent proof. However long term durability does favor steel by a wide margin.

• Like 2

Another vote for 8 and 10 steel mags here, rock and lock style.

Yep, any larger than this and I'd just go to a drum. Long stick mags

are too hard to deal with other than the range.

Smaller than this is already served well by the plastic 5 rounders.

Would still like to see the DS mags someday though. what.gif

Yes most definately 10 round steel, if its made for a mag well theat would give me another reason to add a mag well. I have never been to fond of plastic mags, but right now that is all that seems to be available for these.