steel s12 mags. Project completed.

It's a tough call to order or wait until some beta testing is in.

I'd really like to have mine be LRBHO compatible, which I think you said is the next batch. On the other hand, I'd like to be in the first round of purchasers to show project support. 

I'm probably going to cave and order one if there are any left in a few hours. 

Screw it. ordering now. 

Edited by GunFun
  • Like 3
  • Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We made the call today to suspend low capacity production for the time being on all products. 8 rounds will be the smallest 12 round the largest. We will make the small sizes later if/when restriction

Update of sorts. Ended up getting stuck on a vepr .308 batch for a few extra days. Had to come up with a new clamping fixture for the S-12 since the first one gave me a sore elbow in 20 parts, took a

He has already said in this thread first batch will be 8 rounders.   I want larger magazines, but mostly I look forward to that first batch and I want that first batch to be good, and I want it as

Posted Images

Thanks. I thought so, but I don't want tester to equal mooch. 

Plus I want another. It might end up being gifted.

If you want, you can do any of the following:

1) ship them in the same package and save yourself money.

2) cancel my order and let some other lucky guy get one. I won't mind. The run will probably sell out quickly.

3) cancel my order and put it to a pre-order of the LRBHO 10.

Personally I don't feel like a mooch at all, I'm looking forward to doing some testing & R&D with the new design. Thank you for all you are doing Csspecs they are looking good and getting better.  027.gif

• Like 2

I'll be giving it a thorough test. But I suspect the only real room for improvement will be elimination of the spine. IMO, it would probably be a good idea to ship some of that car trim with it. I keep forgetting to pick some up at autozone or whatever.

Was a 308 tester, still run the test mag, got 1,000+ rounds through it. Those have come a long way cosmetically, have to watch when loading not to knick yourself, these come out with the knowledge learned. So, ordered 4 from 1st patch. Will run through 2 weapons I got and a neighbors. Mine are older, around 06, his was just brought into US last year, without bolt hold open.

Thank you everyone.

The listing was posted in the afternoon and its already number three most viewed item. Should be number one by tomorrow.

We feel pretty good about the magazines..

However we also accept that when new products roll out there can be issues. We'll provide shipping labels for any returns or replacements.

If anything falls short of your expectations please contact us about it.

• Like 2

Thank you everyone.

The listing was posted in the afternoon and its already number three most viewed item. Should be number one by tomorrow.

We feel pretty good about the magazines..

However we also accept that when new products roll out there can be issues. We'll provide shipping labels for any returns or replacements.

If anything falls short of your expectations please contact us about it.

I might have to get one now

Edited by Lord Ak-47

Ok most of the testers are going to get them Tomorrow (monday). 

Cobra76

Beefcake

Kingofthehill

Hog76

And for a likely Tuesday arrival

Gunfun (both magazines).

Reverendfranz

Swissyjim, I really can't say when yours will get there. Maybe Weds if we are lucky.

And Scoutjoe your shipping address kept kicking back an error code from my new shipping website. No idea what is happening there. I'll send it from the post office first chance I get.

I'll try to draw up a basic fitting guide, but you've all been through this before. Should just be standard S-12 magazine fitting.

Retail orders will go out shortly.. I have not built the gauges for assembling so its a little slow, measuring each one with a caliper.

Follower is a point of interest, you'll notice it has a part that grabs the first shell. This is supposed to eliminate rim lock with 3" shells. If you have any problems it is a point to check.

The magazine should function just fine without it. It's going to be removed from the LRBHO compatible versions.

I do have enough spare followers to swap out every follower from the test and early release mags.

• Like 2

New mag just arrived and looks great! After work this evening I'll get her fitted and check it out. I like the new follower thing. May need to talk to ya about making me another like that but longer. Will send a PM. Looks good thanks!

We have been playing with them a little more since they behave a little differently with a finish. I've noticed that the follower seems to make the mag harder to seat, and rim lock seems to clear itself as in the factory magazines. So the part may just be an unneeded inconvenience 

I've decided to send a spare follower with the top part removed with the early release batch. I'll send each of the testers one as well.

I have fair number of spares as I figured them at a 10% loss for finishing.. Turned out they did not damage any.

Each one clicks into my couple saiga shotguns. I'm curious what volume is being removed from the mags.

Got mine today and spent a few minutes fitting them that I should have been using to read. I took pictures of the dimensions, but both of mine were very tight in the dimension from under the front tab to the back surface of the rear lug.  One of them wouldn't go home without a rubber mallet. I filed almost a 1/16th off of it keeping the angle the same and it works now with ZERO play. I'll probably remove a little more. It's pretty clear that the mag is actually being compressed by the block in the gun above the mag catch against this point.  I note that my SGM mag has about 1/16Th clearance rather than compression. I like the tight lockup, but it is still stiff. I've done a few passes and test fits that are still tight against the block with no play for each try but the insertion is noticibly smoother each time. I think what I want is just contact, or maybe 1/128" clearance. The mag is also tight side to side, and I like that. I also took a small amount off of the underside of the rear lug to get more engagement.

I checked for other interferences, and none. The other surfaces on the top features of the mag butt solidly against the shapes inside the gun. CSSpecs should know what I mean, since that was obviously on purpose. There's no room for extra though. I worked it in and out and only found shiny spots on the corner of the back of the rear lug.

The other mag goes in, but some force is still needed to compress the same dimension. The mag catch is just grabbing the edge, so it will need some fitting on the underside as well to have complete engagement. I haven't modified it, and won't until I take a couple dimensions off of it. It was .002" smaller  than the other magin the critical dimension, and that seems to be the only difference I could find.

Just in case people misunderstand me- I much prefer to be able to fit it in to my gun over having a one size fits all that rattles around. It could probably start a little smaller and still have room for fitting though.

I am impressed.

Feed angle must be perfect, because the shell is centered on the chamber and a few hand cycles ran smoothly. 

Got to get back to reading about federal tax code now.

Edited by GunFun

Got mine today - thanks, but I have to say that due to some health issues at home I have not been active in any way, shape, or form here, or anywhere regarding shooting. I need to apologize for that as I have really done nothing to help with the testing of these mags. Hell, have not opened my gunsafe in about 2 months. I'll have to catch up on the postings and see what I can do. Trust me... I have GOT to get to range to blow off some steam and de-stress. At least now I have a good reason to 'go play with my guns' as the wife calls it.

Really basic fitting guide.

You don't need to file the entire rear contact area, a slight angle can be faster.. I will say the finish is awful to file through, its like filing a file.

I couldn't view the video until just now, but that's exactly what I ended up doing with both of them.

P.S. I think you should edit the video to have just a couple of sentences at the beginning to say why the mags are tight. People should know that it is a feature, not a glitch.

Seems like after about a hundred or so insertions things started to loosen up (that's what she said!) Like the front finish gets a nice groove and they start to fit nice... Trying to get that perfect lock without having to force it. The video showing the top lug is similar to my beta, and it helps the new one but I still have to take almost half the bottom off the lug to ever get a lock at all... Am I doing it wrong? It doesn't seem no matter how hard i crank still won't lock unless I remove plenty of material.

I think I remember that and based on my recollection from August( poor memory) , and the fact that I'd rather mod mags than the catch, I've got a longer catch than most. They both lock with light but stiff pressure now and no wobble... Ready to shoot dammit!

Took the new mag out today to get some rounds through it, 109 rounds ran flawlessly. It seems these mags are good to go. I had some problems with the battery in the camera and I had to film myself but here you go.

Edited by K.o.t.H.
  • Like 1