steel s12 mags. Project completed.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We made the call today to suspend low capacity production for the time being on all products. 8 rounds will be the smallest 12 round the largest. We will make the small sizes later if/when restriction

Update of sorts. Ended up getting stuck on a vepr .308 batch for a few extra days. Had to come up with a new clamping fixture for the S-12 since the first one gave me a sore elbow in 20 parts, took a

He has already said in this thread first batch will be 8 rounders.   I want larger magazines, but mostly I look forward to that first batch and I want that first batch to be good, and I want it as

Posted Images

Got mine, and got it fitted yesterday, hopefully gonna shoot it this weekend.

Locks up tight, looks to be well made, feels more sturdy than my 7.62x39 magazines, very happy with it so far, I'll be buying more.

post-38542-0-17345400-1389998715_thumb.jpg

Got mags yesterday, will fit tonight and try tomorrow at indoor range. Due have to file the top of rear tab a bit. Will test with original factory 8's. Run each ammo 1st through never an issue originals, then switch to metal. Oh, took to gun show today, took 1 with me to get a bag. Showed a couple dealers that carry Saiga 12 mags, Got the oh crap, that's a quality built, good looking mag. Cost'em a couple sales, I think, because after, Guys would ask were I got, told'em. At what you charge, compared to gun show price of Pro-mag and Shurefires,

Edited by Ruffian72
  • Like 1

Got mine, and got it fitted yesterday, hopefully gonna shoot it this weekend.

Locks up tight, looks to be well made, feels more sturdy than my 7.62x39 magazines, very happy with it so far, I'll be buying more.

If anyone ever tells you that you have an ugly gun, assume he's trying to talk it down to make an offer. The mag looks good on it too.

I'll definitely be buying more, shot 75 rounds with the new follower, only two jams, and I feel safe blaming those on the gun, it's never been quite 100%.

I'll be editing and uploading a video later.

You have the originals.

You 'new' style ones should be there already... Or in the next couple days..

They are actually the same follower. The "new" just have the projections removed.

We tested them both ways and they worked the same. I just wanted to get an opinion on which is better in a larger selection of guns.

Yeah my new style follower got here Friday I think it was. I've been trying to find some 12 ga ammo to check it out with and the damn wallymarts around here only have 20 ga. Will get something through it soon.

I had one jam where it ejected, but didn't even try to feed the next round, and I had one stovepipe, you'll see both in the video.

Could be a rim lock jam. In which case the original follower is probably better.

Most current S-12 mags will have occasional rim lock, but the mass of the bolt and its speed can normally overcome the resistance.

Ok lets straighten this out with names.

The Type 1 follower has two ears on the back that grab the rim of the round. These came installed

The Type 2 follower has the two ears removed. These came in a little bag with each magazine.

The Type 1 make seating the magazine slightly harder. But are supposed to make rim lock with 3" shells just about impossible.

The Type 2 should be easier to seat, however do not prevent rim lock. They are basically what is in every other S-12 magazine ever made.

Youtube won't let me change the thumbnail apparently, oh well.

1st segment, I shoot five out of the factory mag, just to make sure it's going to cooperate with the ammo

3rd is the first malfunction, it ejects the round fine, but doesn't feed the next.

4th is the second malfunction, I blame the gun for this one.

5th my neighbor's kid wanted to shoot it, so I loaded him a mag

6th pretty much one handed, always wanted to get this kind of shot

8th he surprisingly wanted to shoot it more, he's not strong enough to shoulder though, and either the PG, or the mag hits him on one of the shots, I take the last two shots like in #6

• Like 2

Oh. Bolt closed empty. I could say "break in" but it could also mean the follower ears are generating resistance to upward travel.. If it clears up then its probably just the follower matching the magazines.

Stove piping is probably the shotgun. The magazine does not generally effect that.

Wanted to clear up fitting a little, and what our intent was with the rear contact point.

The rear lug is supposed to span across the slot cut for the magazine latch. It was not intended to fit within it.

This is correct.

post-2952-0-86372800-1390273887_thumb.jpg

This keeps the magazine pushed forward while the magazine is swinging into place. And also spreads the load out on the ejector block rather than concentrating the force on the center.

The first stage of fitting you just trim the back of the lug, If magazine almost fits remove from the top half as shown in the picture below. However if more fitting is needed remove from the bottom half keeping the same angle on the back face. The way the lug is cut it contacts the ejector block at an angle, this reduces the force required to remove the magazine when empty.

This is what .015" of fitting looks like. Any more and the entire back face should be trimmed.

post-2952-0-18629800-1390274650_thumb.jpg

Each magazine was checked in a shotgun before it left here, that shotgun has at most .015" space with a factory 8 round magazine. So they should fit with just a small amount of fitting.

Hell I had to spend over an hour on mine, you weren't kidding on the filing a file simile. Prototype I did do the top first but still had to remove this much bottom to get a lock.

Production

It too needed bottom removal after the top

IMG_20140120_232549.jpg

IMG_20140120_232911.jpg

IMG_20140120_233105.jpg

IMG_20140120_233301.jpg

Heres  my latch for reference does this look good or have I went about it wrong? I feel pretty confident but am also unsure sinceyou have said several times now only the top and in comparison to factory 8 which I have no access to. Here's hoping!

IMG_20140120_234348.jpg

IMG_20140120_234342.jpg

IMG_20140120_234107.jpg

Beefcake. Sounds like you got it right, I edited the above to clear that up.

I actually removed a fair amount from the rear lug on production.. This is a little maddening.. I'll have more removed next go around.

I'm understanding why the factory uses such a small contact point. It makes fitting easy, even if its weaker its simple to fit.

Not home anymore but both those lugs were exactly like that after modding the top which is how I figured I needed to do the bottom. No more mag could go in past them ;):up:

Seems like you did everything right to me. If the mag is fully seated then the only next step to get it locked in is fitting the bottom of the lug. Looks like you are good to go. Looks like my magwell is smaller front to back than yours, but looks like our guns are very similar with regards to fitting of the bottom of the rear lug.