steel s12 mags. Project completed.

Did a lot of checking.. Seems I get to blame the heat treat shop a little more.

Magazine body on several of the samples are spread in the middle allowing the fronts of the rounds to semi stagger and thus lowering the fronts by almost 1/8" by round 8.

I'm seeing that several of the poly magazines spread by almost this amount when loaded which is why they are made with a steeper curve.. Our mags don't spread when loaded, but they are spread due to thermal shock (or whatever the correct term is). That should be correctable.

That at least makes some sense pertaining to how you were able to get so much sucess from your proto without failures. What kind of ammo was the testing done with mainly? I did notice last night when I got to the range for a few mags, the only ammo that has fed so far at all without a low feed problem on the 1st few rds was a tad bit shorter shells. The Winchester AA Super-Handicap #8 shot.

The Federal Multi Purpose loads did better than the Win Universal (as expected, that stuff sucks...) but still fed low on the top rds and hung up going in (FTF).

Here are the shells I've tried so far and the result stats so far. I will try to get a few more rounds through a different gun today, an unconverted one or two just to see. Pretty sure this prob is terminal with this mag though without mods...

post-1293-0-41341800-1377633106_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-64333700-1377633127_thumb.jpg

The "#1 and #2" in the left column stands for the two guns used so far for testing. Both converted S-12s, #1 is my blonde. Models 2000 and 2008 Ignore the first line in blue, that was already filled in and I oopsed and put a #1 by it.

post-1293-0-24045900-1377633147_thumb.jpg

If anyone could pm or post instructions on how to get a lock id love you forever. Im going back today and would really like to hold the hg smile.png

I figured a little off the bottom would work but am not the best with a file.

Here ya go beefcake. This is what I did and mine fits tight as can be now. Just take it slow and be careful not to do the final adjustment til most of the material is already removed. Leave some then slowly file & fit til it's right. The catch has a lot more room for movement inward so don't worry about going too far in toward the mag body. You can take it all the way to the base of the reinforcement. It's taking too much off toward the top of the lug that will make the mag fit loose.

Other pics in post #136

attachicon.gifcsspecs mag lug mod.JPG

attachicon.gifStep mods.jpg

That would not have helped with mine. The lug just touched with the latch at full stroke. I wonder if your mag body is longer front to back or the lug is located differently on the vertical axis than mine or whether that is a gun variance.

I'll put up pics this p.m.

Gunfun it def sounds like your mag has to be different, or these damn guns are worse off than I thought even!

Will come back with some measurements I sent to csspecs earlier in a PM.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We made the call today to suspend low capacity production for the time being on all products. 8 rounds will be the smallest 12 round the largest. We will make the small sizes later if/when restriction

Update of sorts. Ended up getting stuck on a vepr .308 batch for a few extra days. Had to come up with a new clamping fixture for the S-12 since the first one gave me a sore elbow in 20 parts, took a

He has already said in this thread first batch will be 8 rounders.   I want larger magazines, but mostly I look forward to that first batch and I want that first batch to be good, and I want it as

Posted Images

If anyone could pm or post instructions on how to get a lock id love you forever. Im going back today and would really like to hold the hg smile.png

I figured a little off the bottom would work but am not the best with a file.

Here ya go beefcake. This is what I did and mine fits tight as can be now. Just take it slow and be careful not to do the final adjustment til most of the material is already removed. Leave some then slowly file & fit til it's right. The catch has a lot more room for movement inward so don't worry about going too far in toward the mag body. You can take it all the way to the base of the reinforcement. It's taking too much off toward the top of the lug that will make the mag fit loose.

Other pics in post #136

attachicon.gifcsspecs mag lug mod.JPG

attachicon.gifStep mods.jpg

That would not have helped with mine. The lug just touched with the latch at full stroke. I wonder if your mag body is longer front to back or the lug is located differently on the vertical axis than mine or whether that is a gun variance.

I'll put up pics this p.m.

We held very tight tolerances on them.. Most likely a gun thing, but something we should get zeroed closer on production. I'm only using a few guns to get the numbers, and I can shuffle the position of the parts on the mag bodies once I know what I'm trying to get out of it.

I won't be totally surprised if I have to change the main plates, that happened on both the S-20 and Vepr .308s. Just the nature of the job, and part of the reason getting a magazine line setup for you costs north of $200K..

• Like 1

OK just tested cutting the feed lips and opening them to match a factory mag. And the low feeding is gone in hand cycle and live fire, just blasted through a mixed case of ammo with the mag that did not feed in our tests and not a single hiccup or hint of a malfunction.

I'll draw out the changes and apply them to the remaining test mags.

• Like 1

Omw back from a wonderful range visit. I have to say the mag is flawless for me. If I coul get this lug filed I would have zero complaints.

On another not, I also shot a korean era garand, and one of the new pap pistols and both were a blast!

Ok here is what I did on several with good results.. It eliminated low feeding on the top rounds.

Looking from inside the mag at the left side feed lip. Feed lip is trimmed until it measures .490 from the back inside the mag.

post-2952-0-83349900-1377660449_thumb.jpg

Feed lip is widened .005 and the angles are recut to match.

post-2952-0-26519200-1377660451_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry I didn't get the pics up as promised earlier.

Note, it hand cycles beautifully anything up to 6 rounds of every brand I have played with. # 7 & 8 low feed.. Maybe I should do the filing as you have shown.

• Like 1

Ok here is what I did on several with good results.. It eliminated low feeding on the top rounds.

Looking from inside the mag at the left side feed lip. Feed lip is trimmed until it measures .490 from the back inside the mag.

attachicon.giffeed lip fitting demo.jpg

Feed lip is widened .005 and the angles are recut to match.

attachicon.giffeed lip fitting demo2.jpg

Looks much better. That's what I was gonna do also. Will go ahead and mod this one too before any more test firing.

I have absolutely no idea and its not really relevant....as you could probably find out it the second YouTube video I've ever posted.... So probably doesn't have much to suggest idk ask yt not me

Edited by beefcakeb0

For some reason after the video is over it keeps suggesting a video titled gay love. What the heck?!

The suggestions are made off your viewing history.

haha.gif

Just kidding.

• Like 2

For some reason after the video is over it keeps suggesting a video titled gay love. What the heck?!

The suggestions are made off your viewing history.

:haha2:

Just kidding.

Haha. Shhh don't tell anyone! Jk haha it was just confusing beefcake, so random lol anyway awesome video about the mags. Look like they work pretty darn good.

After doing the feedlips mod and 'cobra step' mod I was able to do some testing yesterday with good results.

Here is another.

Here is what I did to the feedlips.

Here is the step I filed in the lug.

post-19600-0-38223600-1377965723_thumb.jpg

post-19600-0-61346000-1377965789_thumb.jpg

Edited by King of the Hill
  • Like 2

Glad to see ya got it running like a champ man. Sorry for disappearing the last couple of days, I had a B Day blast to prepare for so had to set it aside for a little bit. I did finally get to do some more live fire with it yesterday at the party. Ran 100 rds of Federal bulk pack low brass through it without a hickup. I'll see if I can find some pics or video if any came out worth a damn. Mag is now working flawless though.

well crap... I have been posting in the other thread... didn't pay attention to this one- sorry.

Got back from the range just now. Did the feed lips, and *seems* to be better. Put the spring and follower from an Izzy 8rd mag in and it runs flawless. Tried with the spring and metal follower and seemed to work much better. Just trying other things to see what differences there are.

Unfortunately, I had someone with me that needed watching, and the range was PACKED with people, so didn't get the time I really wanted to put a bunch of rounds downrange. I'm going to try hand cycling tonight, and with luck, I can get out to the range again in the next couple of days.

Edited by SwissyJim

Naw, I'll keep monkeying with this one a little more. See if someone else with more skillz wants to join in... I'm realizing I'm not that handy with mods and such. Can't draw a straight line with a rulerand all... (I'll be embarrassed to show my feed lips work! LOL)

1378005852457.jpg1378017926941.jpg

Naw, I'll keep monkeying with this one a little more. See if someone else with more skillz wants to join in... I'm realizing I'm not that handy with mods and such. Can't draw a straight line with a rulerand all... (I'll be embarrassed to show my feed lips work! LOL)

dont be... I'm in the same boat but will show mine!

Csspecs, I know I told you that I would rather wait for a version that is closer to what the production mags will be, and that turned out to be a good call if only because I have been really busy and traveling a bit.

But Jim and I shoot at the same range, and if we can make our schedules coincide, I would be interested in meeting him there for an hour or two with my S-12, and maybe we can confirm whether or not the issues he is experiencing are specific to his shotgun.

This evening I went again to the range to test this mag. I took one bulk pack of federal and only this one magazine. All 100 rounds cycled perfectly without one problem. This mag I have is GTG. I have run approximately 400 rounds through it and have been giving it some pretty good abuse. Basically being rough with it and dropping it on the ground loaded and unloaded. I have not thrown it down violently but I have dropped it many different ways from waist height. I took some videos today, here ya go.

Edited by King of the Hill

OK guys sorry to drop out of sight so long. Took too much time away from other things for too long and got myself way behind so I've been trying to catch back up. Also somehow managed to lose all the previous videos I had on my phone from two different shooting sessions, that I hadn't had time to go through and get uploaded. Just been running crazy here.

SO anyway.... I hit the range this weekend and made some new videos and went ahead and posted em on youtube this time. I'll put the links up here. After fixing the feed lips the mag has run almost flawless... with a few unexplainable jams here and there between different guns, different ammo, and rates of fire. Most misfeeds I've had were on the first and / or second round. I did have one on video (had... dammit) where somehow the shell rim seemed to hang up and get stuck down inside the mag about three rounds down. It was the same day I modified the rib along the back to be more user friendly but I refuse to believe that had anything to do with it because the mag is still just as tight there and has worked great ever since. That will show in these videos. Since the only other jams I had that were not top round FTFs, but further down the column, and these happened while rapid firing, I did mostly high speed mag dumps from there out trying to repeat the malfunction. There were no more. smile.png Shoulder is now tender and I've expended another couple hundred rounds over the past couple days, but I'm satisfied the mag is ready to rock... at least in my go to gun it is. I do really like the way it feels on my thumb now too after making a nice smooth polished place to wrap it around the mag. The rib gets pretty harsh after awhile for sure otherwise.

This one was one of the few misfeeds I got, a first round Failure To Feed. I had one more like this with this same gun but then other times it ran great. It's almost brand new though for an EAA import. I've only put maybe 25 rds through it ever since it's so rare being factory camo. I believe ScoutJoe's is just like mine in fact. wink.png I did notice also this gun was chewing up the hulls some on the side, so the chamber / feed ramp area is prolly just too sharp and is what's causing the feed prob IMO.

Same gun... just fine this time.