You are right DB. It will be a hybrid tropical storm/noreaster. I'm not too worried but I do have a couple large willow trees that still have leaves. I have a feeling the sound of chain saws is in my future.

Edited by DaveM

NYC transit and commuter rail and busses shut down by 7pm tonight. Will have to drive in to work in Times Square tomorrow. Be Safe everyone. Generator ready with spare gas on hand and fridges full of food!

nyclu3

PS: Plenty off ammo to repel non welcome invaders...

Edited by nyclu3
  • Like 3

By the time it reaches PA it will most probably not be a hurricane.

No it wont be a hurricane but they are saying wind gusts in excess of 60 miles an hour and when you live in the woods like me that means a lok of tree clearing and power outages hope everyone has a generator and supplies

• Like 1

What types of supplies, besides a generator, should one have to prepare for a long term power outage? I have some supplies, just wondering what you guys do to prepare for living without power.

What do we do?

We prepare WELL IN ADVANCE, not on the day the storm hits. biggrin.png

Essentials:

Water

Meds/GOOD First Aid kit

Water

Sanitation supplies

Water

Foods that don't require refrigeration/prep

Did I mention water?

Heat source for home

Firearm and ammo, of course.

Cell phone.

...and a radio

This will get you through the worst of it.

Edited by patriot
  • Like 5

I have all the essentials, just wondering if there are any things I have not thought of. I think an important thing to do is have all of your vehicles filled with gas. I have the mercedes and caddillac full and am heading out to fill the cherokee. Another thing I am doing this time is packing both freezers with ice. I am also freezing pitchers of water and stacking the ice blocks in the freezers. Last time we went over a week without ice, it sucked and its not going to happen to me again. Also I am stocked up on batteries for my weapon lights, they came in handy big-time last time.

• Like 2

Usually in Hurricanes/Trop. storms you have either a shitload of rain, or high winds.

I don't recall all the trees up that way but you can expect about 50% of the pine trees to snap if you get high winds.

Don't know about the other types.

Fortunately the high winds storms tend to move out pretty quick.

If it's a rain/snowmaker you guys are going to have some serious problems.

You'll be fine. Heck, my wall tent lasted a weekend of steady 45mph winds, with bigger gusts and rain. If you lose power, just pretend you are camping........with broken windows that is. Remember to take cool pics!

What happened last time in my area was a derecho hit. Many trees came down and transformers exploded. The electric company in WV has a pitiful understaffed response team, and had to depend on out of state workers. Problem is, other states were also hit and WV seems to be last on the priority list. So a short storm that lasted really only an hour kept power off for over a week. The biggest problem I had was that I could not use the internet, so no Saiga12forum for me. :(

What happened last time in my area was a derecho hit. Many trees came down and transformers exploded. The electric company in WV has a pitiful understaffed response team, and had to depend on out of state workers. Problem is, other states were also hit and WV seems to be last on the priority list. So a short storm that lasted really only an hour kept power off for over a week. The biggest problem I had was that I could not use the internet, so no Saiga12forum for me. sad.png

The Saiga forum is like a drug. big_smile.gif I cant seem to go a day without checking it out.

• Like 2

"But, you people live near the coast, so there should be no FEMA help for you."

I'm just waiting for someone to spout bullshit like that on the news, like they did when Florida caught so

many a few years back. Everyone has to contribute, but you don't get yours back....wtf?

Good luck up there. In addition to the essentials, you need prophylactics, alcohol, and books and decks

of cards. About the only thing to do with no power is fuck, drink, read, sleep, and play cards.

• Like 3

"But, you people live near the coast, so there should be no FEMA help for you."

I'm just waiting for someone to spout bullshit like that on the news, like they did when Florida caught so

many a few years back. Everyone has to contribute, but you don't get yours back....wtf?

They'll have to TAKE mine. I have NO extra to give out to grasshoppers.

• Like 1

Several small crank LED lanterns will come in handy at night if the power is gone. I also have one larger one with a built in FM radiio.

A couple of years ago we went 9 days without electricity after a severe winter storm, by the time we could get to town (several days because of the roads) all places were sold out of batteries, latern fuel and candles. It sucked when nightfall came.

I went to Walmart to get some last minute stuff last night. Few more packs of batteries and some canned shit. Took a look at the bullet inventory to see if we had hit full blown SHTF prep around here and all the common pistol caliber rounds were gone. All the normal rifle rounds still there, no more tula, rem, winch or fed pistol rounds except the >$25 box stuff. Guess when SHTF, the budget tops out at $25 for pistol ammo

I wish you guys luck and hope for the best. If the power does go out for long term, keep your sights clean and dont take no shit. Best of luck for you guys up that way and in the direct path.

Thanks..... hope it will not be too bad for anyone but i think that may be asking too much some local Gas stations have run out of fuel already this may get ugly .... hope everyone is safe. remember things can be replaced but you only have one life. Stay safe all

Edited by pony_express1973

Never been through a hurricane, but we had a massive ice storm a few years back and it snapped off every fucking tree for about 100 square miles.

Power was out for a week, and I lived in town at the time. The rural homes were out of power for two weeks. The biggest issue was heat in the house and I had no fireplace and no generator the first day. Once I got a generator, I powered up the refrigerator and ran jumper lines into the furnace to run the fan. I was good to go after that.

Also, make sure you chain your generator up. Thieves will steal them in the middle of the night.

Tony

Went to work in Times Square and then to another job on 57th street by where the crane collapsed but hasn't fallen yet. City was empty except for tourists, cops, construction workers and homeless people. FDR Drive and Major Deegan flooded, Battery and Holland tunnels closed. Hudson river choppy with whitecaps, the West Side Hwy and George Washington Bridge was open. Flooding in southern Nassau and Suffolk counties. And it's only going to get worse... Be safe everyone.

nyclu3

• Like 1