Saiga .308 drum

Make a topic and get some votes.. If ya get the most votes it will probably help its feasibility significantly.

Since most drums are single stack by nature it could be possible to make the drum parts handle both rounds and make the towers for several firearms.. A 50 round drum will be rather large, rather stout.. And somewhat rock like in weight.

(PS I'm moving posts to the correct topics as they are created)

30, 40, 50, 70 rd for me. I'm happy with any cap. I may weigh my 100 rd 7.62 drum when filled to see how many .308's it would take to be around that weight. Anything that weight or less works for me. Some people say they don't want the weight of a .308 drum, but I bet a large percentage of them would buy one if it weighed somewhere around the weight of a 7.62 drum.

Here is a pic of a 100 rd in the Saiga 308 just to show what a similarly sized drum would look like. This drum weighs 6 lbs when fully loaded with 7.62. I took an empty 75 rd drum and weighed it with 60 rounds of .308 and it weighs 5.2 lbs. So a 60 round drum, that when empty was similar in weight to an empty 75 rd drum, when loaded with .308 would actually weigh less than a loaded 100 rd AK drum.

post-19600-0-99066000-1351520223_thumb.jpg

Edited by King of the Hill
  • Like 1

I too vote for the 50-60 rd .308 saiga drum, should be decently easy for someone with your skills to scale up an x39 drum to work with .308 ammo. I'm pretty sure different feed tower section would get you in the vepr and saiga game with the same other components and help keep manufacturing costs a little more reasonable for you, while helping broaden your sales. I'm not so sure about the x54r vepr's, rimmed cartridges can be finiky but maybe its possible for those folks too.

I'm not sure about everyone else but I'd guess a hinged back cover rear loading then wind it up design would be desired over having to push that many rounds in 1 at a time from the top.

Edited by jojo200517
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...