Drum for 7.62x54R..??

50 would be fine - not much heavier than a 50-round .308 drum.

Who really wants such a thing for practical purposes? It would be a range toy. If you want 30 rounds, why bother with a drum? Just make a larger box mag.

The issue with a factory VEPR in 54R is the single stack magazine slot they come in with.. unless someone can neck from a double wide to a single stack profile reliably..

The 10 round for the VEPR in 54R is pretty long (from SGM)..

Maybe a 25 round mini-drum.. hmm..

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone contacted the guy modding the DTM mags? Will a PSL mag rock into a VEPR with modification? Hell, this could be done, conceivably, off an SVD mag as well.

why mess with trying to modify a PSL mag? Csspecs sells steel VEPR .308 10 round mags. less then what PSL mags are going for, and you don't have to mess with it to fit in a VEPR.

in a nutshell I can tell you how you can modify that drum to work in a VEPR,

1) grind down the feed lips on the drum

2) make a spacer for the feed tower so that now it's a single feed

3) postilion the feed tower, with spacer installed, over the drum opening. ( this procedure is super critical, if the opening of the bottom of the feed tower isn't perfectly aligned to the drum opening it will not feed)

4) weld in place

ANY drum can be modified to fit any gun. you just need a existing drum of that caliber, and the stick mag of the gun to be the feed tower.

I'm in the thought and contemplating phase of making a SAR-3 AK (5.56) drum, using my 100 rd BETA drum, it's very doable just have to figure out a couple of things, which is 90 percent of the drum being successful

here is my PPS43 drum

pps43_drum.jpg

Edited by Matthew Hopkins
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd rather see a 12-15 round mini drum magazine, or something that was along the lines of a quad stack design.

But Ill take what I can get. I have no interest in making a balanced and comfortable rifle into a mall ninja gun.

Um.. this post is about making a VEPR 7.62x54R drum of some type.. not the VEPR 12 or the Saiga 12..

I pretty much told you how to make one for yourself.

the parts are available, APEXGUNPARTS has drums for $35.00 plus shipping, and CSS has metal mags. all you need is to get some steel flat stock (HOME DEPOT etc..) for the spacer, which I assume the VEPR mag is double stack, and have a welder weld the stick mag to the drum.

fact is this one would be a lot easier to make then the PPS43 drum I made. there is no need to get the angle set, it's a stright feed, and no messing with profiling the bottom of the mag to sit on a round suface.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins
  • 4 weeks later...

I had a Vepr 54r and sold it to buy my Vepr 308. I didn't really care for the 54r Vepr as much as I thought I would. The Finns had a M26 machine gun that shot 7.62x54r, and they had 20rd mags and 75rd drums. It seems they only used the 20rd mags though.

http://en.wikipedia....-Saloranta_M/26

I bought one of the 20rd M26 mags from Liberty Tree and was going to have my gunsmith mod my 54r Vepr to use them, but gave up in favor of the .308. I still have the 20rd mag for 54r but nothing to use it for. Maybe a Mosin one day, LOL.

post-34443-0-97561200-1356055121_thumb.jpg

post-34443-0-82449400-1356055154_thumb.jpg

post-34443-0-49889900-1356055191_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The feed mech in those has dead spots. Like a point of feed that has almost no pressure. So you would need to tweek the distance out from the receiver.

We looked into converting them, but the design is limited due to the rather low tech design of the inner feed parts. With laser or water jet we can make a better drum either in pan or upright that has 50% more upward feed pressure. However, like everyone else we are really really busy.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

It's because people are voting... I fell into the same trap. Gonna ask for that to get changed in the "for the mods" thread.

On the other hand, thank god no one came out with a VEPR x54R drum... I'd have to fire off the VISA card tonight!

• Like 2
  • 5 months later...