Gearing up for Stage III of work any ideas on other things I can do.

here she is as it stands now

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/gallery/image/7687-ergo-tac-deluxe-4/

only change is the Daniel defense VFG that is much more comfortable and less huge.

Stage III includes:

Recoil reducer from Graco

Firebird long forearm

New hammer/spring

Magpul AFG will be tried out on it also

Also a full cleaning/oiling.

I'm wondering if I should do some polishing etc on anything? Any other ideas?

Stage IV will be:

Alum Lower when it comes out

EOTech over the Sightmark (it's going to break sooner or later, and the mods to keep it on the gun with that QD lever loosening are not foolproof...)

Cut Barrel to 18ish and rethread for chokes (have to find someone to do this, kind of annoyed Briely only threads one style, I would like to use alt threading, also I think their price is on the high side)

The carrier, the bolt lock and the feed ramp are areas of concern.

the carrier is where you can polish out some machine marks, some are quite nice....others are just ugly.

The bolt lock should have a small chamfer on the top rear edge, you may have to address this more than once, burrs can come back once the gun is shot a bit.

And oh yes the feed ramp...the transition from the bottom of the ramp into the mag well, some guns have a clean sharp edge (that is what is best)

Others have had this area molested with a file...well RASP may be a better descriptor .

When using 5 rnd mags,this is not an issue, however deep stack mags present the shells at a lower angle and can exhibit a straight forward jam.

The fix for that is a new aluminum ramp assembly...this also cures broken feed ramps.

Jim

The carrier, the bolt lock and the feed ramp are areas of concern.

the carrier is where you can polish out some machine marks, some are quite nice....others are just ugly.

The bolt lock should have a small chamfer on the top rear edge, you may have to address this more than once, burrs can come back once the gun is shot a bit.

And oh yes the feed ramp...the transition from the bottom of the ramp into the mag well, some guns have a clean sharp edge (that is what is best)

Others have had this area molested with a file...well RASP may be a better descriptor .

When using 5 rnd mags,this is not an issue, however deep stack mags present the shells at a lower angle and can exhibit a straight forward jam.

The fix for that is a new aluminum ramp assembly...this also cures broken feed ramps.

Jim

Nice thanks for the tips, the bolt lock and carrier, forgot those were on the list.

any word on the aluminum ;) still 1st quarter '13?

Hey Syndicate,

As Jim mentioned before, the check your feeding ramp. Mine was severely molested with a file "rasp" from the factory. It took me sometime to clean, fill, shape and polish the feeding ramp to a smooth transition from the mag to the chamber. Also a delicate deburring and polishing job of the barrel chamber to feeding ramp lip helps with shell loading.

My bolt carrier was not bad from the factory but an additional deburring, fit and polish makes a difference in the gun cycling. Pay special attention to the bolt carrier to hammer interface, make sure that both component's surfaces are clear of imperfections and gently polished. If you experience light strike once in a while, check the tolerances between the bolt carrier, hammer and firing pin.

Not sure what mods you have on your FCG but typical AR trigger job best practices are a must.

For the bolt, I just make sure everything is clear of machining marks and burrs. Delicate polishing and fit of all parts is a good practice. You don't want to remove material, just remove surface imperfections that add friction between parts. Something that I make sure all my firearms have is a good extractor, make sure the extractor has a well radiused face towards the chamber and a good, sharp and straight face towards the bolt. This will smooth the extractor engagement of the shell and have the best positive shell grip during extraction.

Gas System, make sure everything is well fit, clean and lead free. Clean the gas ports with a small drill bit. I know lubrication is not necessary here but I just treat all the components with a light coat of FP10 to minimize carbon and lead fouling. Jim at FB is the SME on this area so I will stay away from any Gas System mod suggestions.

Go and shoot!

Edited by jim032374

I am not having feeding issues, so I tend not to try and fix something that isn't broken, but def appreciate all the methods and how tos on it, because I'm sure sooner or later the tipping point of the Akdal, (plastic lower) will rear it's head and I'll know just what to do :)

I've got just about every aftermarket part you can put on it thus far, I officially have the "sickness" with this gun lol. Check out my gallary Jim (well jims lol)

I've used a foaming bore cleaner and never done any of the intensive cleaning that has been talked about and never had to much issue with this extreme dirtyness. I've not had this sit either, I shoot it A LOT. Should I seriously consider going as far as others have? I own the AK of auto shotguns, Benelli, and those just keep running and running, so I hope I have not become complacent in care on this one. (I consider the reliability of the Beni monos to be of AK status)

The only ramp problems I've had to date are the one that dude has video instructed everyone to beat it apart in a manor that can ruin it.

The bolt and bolt lock are 2 things I can give attention and plan to. As problems have come up with her I've dealt with them, I don't ever try to fix a problem someone else is having. I have done it before believe me. What exactely should I use on them though? wet sand (oil soak) 1500 and 2000 grit?

Got it all done yesterday in no time flat. Clean up with the foaming bore cleaner even hits the gas system up really well, used some in the ports.

Loving the handguard, it's not a lightweight gun by far, but man the way it feels and turns now is SO much improved, having a stable base for the handgrip is fantastic, new hammer/spring is a def improvement, forgot to polish the contact surface, but it's wearing in quickly, so no big. Going to the range with it today.

I'll get some pics tonight or this afternoon for sure!

I got the long, didn't want any of the headaches of the short (well headaches to me) when I can just flip the bushings.

It ran like shit today, I've only had one fail to eject and one double feed before today, couldn't get through a single damn mag without issue today :(

going to break it apart tomorrow and figure out what isn't right. I have a feeling I need to put teflon tape to hold the gas lugs down, mother fu...

what a waste of good ammo. Everyone was shitting thier pants over it though lol. I love how the gun feels with the guard, the weight is fine, helps tame it a lot.

I had some issues with my FB hand guard first time out. I didn't get the nut tight enough and that allowed the HG to shift back and forth while shooting, which bound up the rails on the gas system. Once I figured out how to get it tight enough, and keep it from moving, no problems. I love the FB HG, very well built piece of craftsmanship.

cool I broke it down, cleaned the hell out of the threads. then used loctite and two nuts sinched into each other to lock out and then tighten the op rod.

Let it set for a few days and we shall hope that works. I used some med strength knock off loctite instead of blue loctite brand though