Canted Top Cover, and warrantee issues

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't think the U.S. customer's care whether the cant effects accuracy or POI. What they care about, is their gun not looking like a fucked up piece of shit.   Tony

It appears that the problem most likely originates from inconsistent "spring-back" of the sheet metal top cover when it is released from the form die. Could be issues with the substrate material or t

We feel that if a gun is defective out of the box the shipping should be covered both ways making a customer pay ship on a defective item only adds insult to injury.

Posted Images

Ever so slightly canted rail on mine, not enough to worry about. My wood buttstock is mounted all jacked up tho. The gaps are huge and its crooked as Chicago politics.

Any vendors stepping up to offer info on warranty work yet?

Edited by Mullet Man

I can't speak for them, but some emails with the importer let me believe they're working on it. Part of the problem is that there aren't really any spare parts for replacements, and top rail issue isn't easily repaired.

The stock lives up to Atlantic's warnings. Whether the stock is considered a warranty issue, I don't know. Even if the stock is mounted well, it doesn't have enough in the way of a buttpad to be good for a 12 gauge -- it's more suited to a rifle with low recoil.

I wanted the wood stock to serve as a template for an RPK wood replacement. It served that purpose at least. Some of the vendors here have some pretty snazzy tactical stock options if you don't like wood.

I noticed right away mine was canted when I threw a Henstoldt Fero- Z24 STANAG scope mounted on an ARMS QD #19 base. You can not really see it with the naked eye, but the post reticle did show it was slightly canted. I will be watching this tread to see what the general consensus is about getting this repaired under warranty.

I can't speak for them, but some emails with the importer let me believe they're working on it. Part of the problem is that there aren't really any spare parts for replacements, and top rail issue isn't easily repaired.

The stock lives up to Atlantic's warnings. Whether the stock is considered a warranty issue, I don't know. Even if the stock is mounted well, it doesn't have enough in the way of a buttpad to be good for a 12 gauge -- it's more suited to a rifle with low recoil.

I'm not looking for warranty work on mine since the stock is an easy fix and its going to get replaced at some point. I was just curious if any of the vendors are saying who knows what about warranty work. RAA (and Cadiz) was very good about warranty work on the Saigas and it would be nice to have the same backing with the Vepr's since it seems the top rail is issue is very common.

Mine is a shooter tho, put 50+ rounds thru it of various low brass bird shit and high brass buck and slugs and it didnt skip a beat.

I received one of the VEPR's with a pretty severely canted rail...enough so that using a red dot optic probably wouldn't be an option. I was pretty disappointed, to be honest. We aren't talking about a $200 High Point here...when I buy a $1000 firearm, I expect basic things like this to be a non issue. How such a visible flaw could pass QC is beyond me, especially since the booklet that came with the gun had 2 or 3 "sign offs" by the QC department before shipping it out. I contacted the vendor I purchased it from, and they directed me to contact SGM Tactical, which I did. I received a prompt response saying to send the gun in and it'll be resolved.

Haven't had a chance to do it yet, as I don't live near a UPS hub and I want to shoot it first so I can make sure there aren't "any other" issues with it before I send it in for warranty work. Judging by the range reports, I don't expect there to be, but I want to avoid having to ship it twice.

I'm not saying that I'm dissatisfied with my purchase, everything else on the VEPR 12 seems to be top notch, I'm just annoyed. Assuming it gets fixed in a timely manner, I'll brush it off and move on with life.

I received one of the VEPR's with a pretty severely canted rail...enough so that using a red dot optic probably wouldn't be an option. I was pretty disappointed, to be honest. We aren't talking about a $200 High Point here...when I buy a $1000 firearm, I expect basic things like this to be a non issue. How such a visible flaw could pass QC is beyond me, especially since the booklet that came with the gun had 2 or 3 "sign offs" by the QC department before shipping it out. I contacted the vendor I purchased it from, and they directed me to contact SGM Tactical, which I did. I received a prompt response saying to send the gun in and it'll be resolved.

Haven't had a chance to do it yet, as I don't live near a UPS hub and I want to shoot it first so I can make sure there aren't "any other" issues with it before I send it in for warranty work. Judging by the range reports, I don't expect there to be, but I want to avoid having to ship it twice.

I'm not saying that I'm dissatisfied with my purchase, everything else on the VEPR 12 seems to be top notch, I'm just annoyed. Assuming it gets fixed in a timely manner, I'll brush it off and move on with life.

Good to hear there is some avenue to get these things taken care of. Let us know how it works out.

Can you share the details - who@SGM and how you contacted them, as well as if they are reimbursing for shipping, etc.

Thanks

So has anyone gotten one that isn't crooked?

Mine isn't crooked at all, just when I open up the cover, the cover itself opens at slightly crooked

I think this is the best way to describe mine. I beleive mine has a very minute amunt of cant but I have to keep looking at it to feel like I am seeing anything wrong. I guess the true test would be to mount an optic and sight it in and see how much compensation is needed to senter it.

I finally got mine today and my rail is slightly canted at the rear and straightens out from about midway. I dont give a shit. My FSB/GB has very slight cant to it. Not enough for me to give a shit about.

ETA: After looking at it in different lighting, it looks fine. lol. I think a lot of this is dependant on the way the light hits them, but still has a slight cant. No biggie.

Edited by Captain Hero

When I removed the recoil spring assembly, then closed the dust cover, there "is" an alignment issue. The dust cover does not fit in a "centered" orientation to the receiver- has to be pushed over to the right and down, as noted with other V12 owners it is "off" centered to the left. This was really not noticeable when the spring assy was installed and "latched". But wondered why there was chipping paint in a few "hot spots"... this is what cause me to inspect a bit further.

With a "new" purchase, those affected should not have to correct a factory workmanship defect.

Warranty issue? or is this "normal" with all Vepr 12

Edited by Da Warthog

When I removed the recoil spring assembly, then closed the dust cover, there "is" an alignment issue. The dust cover does not fit in a "centered" orientation to the receiver- has to be pushed over to the right and down, as noted on previous owners it is "off" centered to the left. This was really not noticeable when the spring assy was installed and "latched". But wondered why there was chipping paint in a few "hot spots"... this is what cause me to inspect a bit further.

With a "new" purchase, those affected should not have to correct a factory workmanship defect.

Warrany issue? or is this "normal" with all Vepr 12

If it lines up all fine when the dust cover and everything is assembled I wouldnt worry about it.

More details about this "chipping paint".

If the rail is straight enough to use I wouldnt worry about that either.

My rail and cover closes fine. The rail is a tiny bit off but you dont notice unless you are looking for it really hard. The dust cover doest look a little off when you close it without the bolt and recoil spring in. But when close everything is tight and sturdy. Not issues. You dont need to worry about it if it works fine assembled.

• Like 1