Canted Top Cover, and warrantee issues

I ordered a Vepr 12 from Mississippi Auto Arms and it is supposed to ship on Friday. After reading this thread, I called and spoke with Ann. She said some of them do have the canted rail. She said she would leave a note to inspect the one they are shipping me. Hopefully they will send me one that is correct.

I am surprised that who ever is importing these, didn't send them all back to Merlot to have repaired.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't think the U.S. customer's care whether the cant effects accuracy or POI. What they care about, is their gun not looking like a fucked up piece of shit.   Tony

It appears that the problem most likely originates from inconsistent "spring-back" of the sheet metal top cover when it is released from the form die. Could be issues with the substrate material or t

We feel that if a gun is defective out of the box the shipping should be covered both ways making a customer pay ship on a defective item only adds insult to injury.

Posted Images

Does anyone know how easy it would be to change the dust cover out with a regular one? Doesnt it attach to the sight block some how?

I have not seen anything that will replace it yet. Yes it does attache to the sight block. Yours is supposed to be there today right?

yes it arrived today, but sadly I wont be able to get it till thursday.

The ONLY difference between Al and Plastic rail - it is Beauty of Vepr-12! Before spend extra bucks or write nonsense, please read slowly and carefully the following:

Mounted on canted rail and adjusted Red Dot Sight DON'T affect to firing accuracy. Proofed by Sergii who was 1st on Russian IPSC Shotgun Championship and 16th on World IPSC Shotgun Championship with his Vepr-12 + EOTec on plastic rail.

Edited by PapaZorro
  • Like 2

I don't think the U.S. customer's care whether the cant effects accuracy or POI. What they care about, is their gun not looking like a fucked up piece of shit.

Tony

+1

• Like 2

I don't think the U.S. customer's care whether the cant effects accuracy or POI. What they care about, is their gun not looking like a fucked up piece of shit.

Tony

So you, say the Vepr-12 from the box looks like a fucked up piece of shit.

If it has anything canted on it, then yes....

Would you buy a NEW Corvette with a canted driver's side door? The car will still work.

Edited by lokmeup

Would you buy a NEW Corvette with a canted driver's side door? The car will still work.

If everything be OK Tony could not sell his useless red neck stuffs and fuck up people wink.png

Actually Tony's stuff works and looks great from the start. Molot might benefit by trying to follow Tony's quality.

• Like 2

We are currently working on an aluminum rail to replace the plastic version. I do not have an ETA yet.

Greg how will it be attached?

Screws will attach from inside the dust cover.

• Like 1

I think Molot has been in business a little longer than Tony. Just a guess.

True that, however longevity does not mean quality. You exhibited quality yourself by not letting VEPR mags ship that did not meet your standards correct? Quality is a mindset that has been lost for the most part. Still some companies and individuals still care enough to do it right.

We are currently working on an aluminum rail to replace the plastic version. I do not have an ETA yet.

haha.gifhaha.gifhaha.gif

Fuck!!!

Well, I guess the steel one I've been setting up will be more of an in-house thing then. lol

I suppose it's better that way though, being as I'm guessing that existing dust cover hole locations may differ unit to unit.

I think Molot has been in business a little longer than Tony. Just a guess.

They don have much time to still his ideas as IZMASH did (http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/81332-izhmash-copies-tromix-firing-pin-spring/), as said Tony.

If everything be OK Tony could not sell his useless red neck stuffs and fuck up people wink.png

Actually Tony's stuff works and looks great from the start. Molot might benefit by trying to follow Tony's quality.

Your importer ordered Vepr-12 with plastic rails, but could with Al, different gas block, modified left charger, modified dust cover without rear sight and so on, the price of the shotgun will be much much higher.

haha.gifhaha.gifhaha.gif

Fuck!!!

Well, I guess the steel one I've been setting up will be more of an in-house thing then. lol

I suppose it's better that way though, being as I'm guessing that existing dust cover hole locations may differ unit to unit.

Agree, IMHO solid Al dust over as made for AK by guys from Texas will be Good fetish stuff, I'll buy a couple;) for my Veprs,

• Like 1

haha.gifhaha.gifhaha.gif

Fuck!!!

Sorry I didn't know you were making that. We still may want some your steel ones to sell. We are also making a 922r compliant Vepr12 puc that will be shipping next week.

haha.gifhaha.gifhaha.gif

Fuck!!!

Sorry I didn't know you were making that. We still may want some your steel ones to sell. We are also making a 922r compliant Vepr12 puc that will be shipping next week.

No worries whatsoever. lol

I'm sure that idea popped into your head the second you saw the people talking about the rail being plastic like happened with me, and likely a few others.

My big idea is going to be one that's kind of a bear to develop.... We'll see how it works out & if I can figure out a way to make it easily bolt-on.

If I can...

It's gonna be cool. biggrin.png

And that's all I can say in public about it. nothing.gif

A metal rail is a given that it'd be one of the first parts developed. I'd honestly be surprised if you hadn't thought of the idea too.

If they're going to sell a higher priced shotgun than the Saiga, with "upgraded" features like a hinged dust cover with rail, then I think it's pretty damned shitty to let ANY of them out the door that are not TOP quality. "Top quality" in this case being a rail that is perfectly centered and in line with the bore. Anything less equates to false advertising. The American public has been made to believe that the Vepr is a higher quality shotgun than the Saiga we are used to. The Saiga has gone through many changes over the past 10 years, and the S-12 in particular in the past 8 years I have owned mine. We have seen it go from good quality, all the way to complete shit quality and unreliability, back to reasonable quality and reliability. We all wanted the "S-12 Swat" model, or version 030 when it first came out. Then shortly after we saw the Molot Vepr 12 make it's debut. Initial reports from what I remember were that it was shitty quality compared to the Izhmash guns with the same features.

All that said, and pardon me for being long winded, the Vepr has a reputation to uphold with the very high quality rifles we have all seen. It is only logical or sensible to believe we should expect nothing less from the Vepr 12 shotguns.

I know one thing. I paid far more money than I wanted to so I could get one of these new guns. If I could get all the parts I could have built my OWN and guaranteed it be extreme high quality, and done so using a less expensive Saiga for a start. So if I'm going to shell out over a thousand dollars for a finished gun, then I'll be DAMNED if I want anything but a perfect quality build, and right out of the box. Yeah sure... I can fix anything at all that is wrong with it.

The point is... I shouldn't HAVE to with this particular Russian shotgun. I'm tired of having to "fix" Izhmash's problems on almost every Saiga 12 I own. I bought the Vepr 12 thinking I was getting something much better.

• Like 1

I am glad you guys posted this before I took the $1k dive into a bad purchase. I think I will just focus on my saiga so I will know what I have instead of having to improve on an already expensive gun.

Even with this, I think the buy is way ahead on money if you care about the other features. I would be annoyed and make them fix it for sure, but it isn't a deal breaker. Worst case scenario, You buy a $12-20 stick of aluminum rail, drill out the rivets for the plastic rail, and carefully locate your own.

I have to dissagree with mr. Zorro though that we should give Molot a pass on sloppy build of any component because it is a non critical part and that you can make it work crooked. Sorry, if a manufacturer includes a feature, especially a key selling point (which the beryl style top cover most certainly is), they need to build it right or not offer it.

Remember picking up a Benelli tube gun is going to be similar money and it doesn't even have a rail. Same for almost any conventional semi. The first batch of adkals had out of spec rails that most accessories wouldn't fit on too. You're getting a lot of shotgun for your $1k. You couldn't add half the feature list by buying a siaga an spending $400 on parts, not even counting labor.

There is no excuse for guns being shipped out with canted or misaligned or defective parts. That being said I would hope that anyone who is having these issues is also contacting the retailer or importer directly to see how this can be resolved. Posting to a forum is good to inform other potential buyers of this situation, but you shouldn't expect resolution without direct contact to the parties involved. I am curious to see how they handle this.

On another note I see a lot of people complaining about the price and expecting pure perfection for there money. I do agree ANY product regardless of price should look and function as advertised out of the box otherwise should be made to do so by the parties responsible. I think we also need to remember that NO mass manufacturing process is 100% perfect 100% of the time. Even a Bentley dealership has a service department. Hopefully those who have issues with there rails being canted will receive the repairs or refunds they are owed in a timely fashion.

Good luck all.