Tap and thread bolt carrier?

Here is my question, I would like to know if it is possible to tap and thread a Saiga 12 bolt carrier? Is the material too hard to tap and cut threads into? I know I have seen charging handles welded on, but my plan is to use have an ambidextrous bolt carrier that uses threaded charging handles instead of welding them on. Thanks.

Mike

The R&R ones are SWEET!!!! I just can't justify spending $300 on something I might be able to do myself.... If I screw this up, I'll buy an R&R though...

Well, I'm actually not doing it myself, I'm taking it over to a machine shop that says they can do the work, I'm hoping they're right!!!! I'll be using these charginge handles, its a steel screw and aluminum knurled knob.

boltcarriersidecockingh.jpg

Edited by RGVBadBoy

Thank you. Those are welded on not tapped. I just wanted to show you some examples of what you could make from redily availible building materals with a little imagination and skill.

I don't really have any skill, you obviously do... You do great work, do you provide that service? If so, where in Texas? I'm in Texas too:)

I have drilled and tapped holes in grade 5 bolts which are fairly hard, i drill the hole slightly over size. This will require either a number or letter drill so it is not to much over, use a brand new drill go slow use LOTS of oil and DO NOT let it get hot. When tapping again use a brand new tap with LOTS of oil only turn the tap maybe 1/8 of a turn at a time then back off to break the chip, clean and reoil the tap often. If the tap suddenly starts getting noticeably harder to turn or you hear a "tink" noise gently back the tap out throw it away and get a new one before continuing. Good luck hard materials can be tapped but it is a bit nerve racking if you do beak a tap off in it you can get it burned out by a shop with an EDM.

• Like 1

You can buy sticks of Ti rod on ebay for around $20 a foot for diameters around .25" if prices haven't changed too much. Probably a TI socket head cap screw would be available too.

How hard is it to thread that ti?

I was looking into manufacturing some Ti monolithic pump arms for autocockers a while back and ended up moving instead. It's still in the back of my mind as something I'd like to crank out. I'd have to drill and tap#8 threads into the end of a 3/16" rod and thread the other end 10-32. it would also take making a few bending jigs and probably a drill guide block to speed things up and reduce wander.