Ah, another Halloween is almost over. The one day of the year where it's socially acceptable for women to dress like whores and the least likely day to get in trouble for having a dead body on your doorstep.

As today draws to a close, I look forward to my favorite holiday tomorrow: Dia de los Muertos.

For those few of you who don't know, Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) is a holiday primarily celebrated in Mexico. Traditionally, families gather at the graves of their loved-ones to pray for them and celebrate their lives.

I can't make it to any cemeteries tomorrow, but my loved-ones who have passed-on will be on my mind and in my heart.

I'll be remembering my Grandmother, who passed away when I was very young; My Grandfather, who will always be a source of inspiration to me; a man I will always remember as, "Pastor Jimmy," whose profound impact on my life cannot be measured; and several members of my church that I sorely miss.

If you can't make it to a cemetery tomorrow, take a minute to remember all the people in your life whose time came too soon.

So who will you be remembering tomorrow??

Edited by JonnyDingDongs
  • Like 3

Hrm, now that I think of it(thanks for posting I might not have otherwise) I believe I will take a trip to my grandfathers grave. its walking distance form the house. He was one of the coolest guys I have known. My fondest memories of him are of me and my cousin driving his truck through the pasture when we were way too young to drive lol. Shasta for us in his beer box on the back porch. haha. Yep we are rednecks I guess. Pulling carrots up out of his garden and washing them off with the water hose and eating them fresh. Damn good carrots. Ha, he used to get on to us for that. Then he would send us off with the pellet guns to shoot at granmaws birds lmao.

man I miss that guy.

• Like 1

I will have a seat in my ol'54 Chevy pick up and enjoy a beer and a whiskey, and remember my best friend Todd who past away several years ago suddenly @ the age of 35. His Grandfather was the original owner of this fine ex-ranch truck. Todd got it from him, and I got it when he passed away. It's the truck Todd learned to drive in when he was around 11 or 12 yrs old. He was fixing it back then as well.

If I didn't have broken shackles on my rear leaf springs, I would go for a drive, Then have the drinks. As it stands, I will just have a seat and remember a Brother that will always be a big influence on the rest of my life.post-16191-0-85189200-1351737746_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Ah, another Halloween is almost over. The one day of the year where it's socially acceptable for women to dress like whores and the least likely day to get in trouble for having a dead body on your doorstep.

As today draws to a close, I look forward to my favorite holiday tomorrow: Dia de los Muertos.

For those few of you who don't know, Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) is a holiday primarily celebrated in Mexico. Traditionally, families gather at the graves of their loved-ones to pray for them and celebrate their lives.

I can't make it to any cemeteries tomorrow, but my loved-ones who have passed-on will be on my mind and in my heart.

I'll be remembering my Grandmother, who passed away when I was very young; My Grandfather, who will always be a source of inspiration to me; a man I will always remember as, "Pastor Jimmy," whose profound impact on my life cannot be measured; and several members of my church that I sorely miss.

If you can't make it to a cemetery tomorrow, take a minute to remember all the people in your life whose time came too soon.

So who will you be remembering tomorrow??

Well, you're the only one I've ever heard mention "Day of the Dead" except my Grandfather. Cool. He was Czechoslovakian/Bohemian so It's not only Mexican tradition.

Naturally, I'll be remembering him and the rest of my passed family hierarchy.

• Like 1

Iirc, it's more of an old world Catholic thing. Could be wrong. When I lived in Arizona and with a Anglo-Mexican/Catho-Mormon chick, we used to celebrate by putting out an extra plate out at supper. I'm pretty spiritual so this wasn't a big deal for me. If nothing else, it's a nice sentiment.

It's easy to get caught up in our day-to-day and let slip our memories of loved ones lost until some little thing jolts them back. And while I don't honor this day inparticular anymore, I do try to keep things about me that induce these memories more often. I've a forged nail on my portable Horg(Alter) with the initials of four young women from my past that have crossed over. My Step-Grandfathers ring, etc. For the most part, I honor the fallen in my morning prayers. Family, Friends, Folk and otherwise.

• Like 1

My best friend, Todd, just dropped dead of a pulmonary embolism this summer. He was pretty much the only real friend I had and it sucks that hes gone, at 32yrs old. It pisses me off whenever I think about it, the fucking asshole left without saying goodbye.

• Like 2

I have more friends and family under ground than above. Not a day goes by that I don't honor someone by their memory.

understand this real well. have only a aunt and uncle left, everybody else gone. sure makes think how short life is....think of all of them almost everyday.

• Like 1

Iirc, it's more of an old world Catholic thing. .

No, you are correct. As a catholic today is All Saints Day, a holy day in the Church and tomorrow is All Souls Day which in the Mexican culture is Dia de los Muertos. Oct. 31 is All Hallows Eve or halloween. The Church incorporated these days to coincide with pagan celebratory days such as Samhain a Gaelic harvest festival. The intention, to remember all who have passed, saints canonized and prayers offered for their souls.

^ Correct! 032.gif

Which is why I find it ironically hilarious that many Catholic schools are stopping Halloween festivities by saying it's "against their religion." rolleyes.gif

Sounds like PC to me. I personally know many non Catholics that will not participate in Halloween as they view it as celebrating evil. Go figure?

A few of the Catholic neighbors were not impressed a few years ago when I opened the door dressed like this..

I'd have thought it quite good, especially if that's you. Tastefully done, not blasphemous at all.

I'm not gonna remember no one today cause I'm going to a wake tomorrow. My girlfriends 20 year old cousin tooka turn to fast and got thrown from the car as it rolled over. her uncle passed away earlier this year from a tumor in his brain stem. And her grandmother on the otherside of her family has not much time left at all. Ill remember them and more tomorrow. That's the thing that suck about her family, their Italian so its big. Just so happens that increases the chances of someone checking out.