Tapco 30rnd 1000rd Review

Alrighty folks,

Many have questioned Tapco Mags reliability...I am here to tell you that I have passed the 1000rd mark in 2 years time.

Ammunition used: Tula and Monarch...no fancy, just go o'steel cased ammo

Rifle: Saiga fully converted

I never got a single misfeed or hiccup from these magazines. I questioned them as much as anyone else.

I have subjected these mags to mag changes which followed them falling on rock, asphalt or dirt depending on where I was shooting.

I even kept one of them loaded with 20rds of ammo for a year and that mag works flawless still...I just got some new Tapco mags and the spring tension has retained its stiffness as a new one. Feed lips still look like new

One thing that I really like is how well the anti tilt works.

So I did not run them over a car/bulldozer/tank etc....this long term test was all about reliability over time using the same weapon

I like how cheap and functional Tapco's are, but I still question their strength (impact strength, not resilience strength). The area I worry about on AK mags is the front and rear lugs. The mags can feed reliably for decades, but will they sustain falling on them while inserted into the rifle? Combat weapons can and often are inadvertantly beat on. Usually it's from being dropped, or a soldier has fallen. Either of these scenarios can mean the entire weight of the rifle (or weight of the rifle PLUS the soldier) being applied directly to the mag itself, to the ground, rock, tree trunk, etc etc. Would the Tapco snap? IDK. However, I'd think steel would stand a MUCH greater chance at surviving those type of scenerios. AR's do great with Pmags, but they also have a magwell. The AK does not, thus there is a sharp and extreme force applied to those areas when impacted.

I have some Tapcos, and they'll probably outlive me for range use... but I'm not convinced they are combat worthy simply because they are reliable and functional under repeated and/or mild abuse.

I've seen videos of these types of impacts on circle 10's and they survive (due to the added steel). I've not yet seen any similar tests done to Tapcos yet.

If it matters...the same mag at home, I would do mag changes repeatedly over and over...and the feed lips just have a "polished" plastic look...but no wear to them.

Believe it or not...I broke a PMAG on the feed lip...have yet to break a TAPCO AK mag (magpul did warranty out the mag)

Meh. Yes this is a video from Arsenal. Yes Arsenal mags are ridiculously expensive. Yes the video is made by someone who grew up in the 60's - 70's and the sound effects give me a head ache.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq25sisQyDg

No I won't buy tapcos.

I agree it sucks that steels have creeped up in prices. http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=MAK47EM30&name=Surplus+Egyptian+Maadi+Steel+AK47+7.62x39+30rd+Magazine&groupid=15

$15 is higher than the $9 chi com surplus that used to be easy to find.

Still. $15 per mag? Cheap enough.

I'm very happy that there are still so many guys out there who won't use anything but steel mags. It keeps the cost of the polymer mags reasonable.

Having said that, I'd really like to see CSpecs put out steel S12 mags and get the cost of the polymer mags back down to Earth!

Meh. Yes this is a video from Arsenal. Yes Arsenal mags are ridiculously expensive. Yes the video is made by someone who grew up in the 60's - 70's and the sound effects give me a head ache.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq25sisQyDg

No I won't buy tapcos.

I agree it sucks that steels have creeped up in prices. http://www.aimsurplu...zine&groupid=15

$15 is higher than the $9 chi com surplus that used to be easy to find.

Still. $15 per mag? Cheap enough.

This is exactly the kind of test I was looking for! Thanks! It does support many peoples (including mine) feelings about non metal reinforced mags. Range only, that seems to be the consensus.

This is exactly the kind of test I was looking for! Thanks! It does support many peoples (including mine) feelings about non metal reinforced mags. Range only, that seems to be the consensus.

I imagine I could count on one hand the number of people using imported Russian saigas converted to AK config for anything other than range shooting. Ok, maybe some hunting.

I imagine I could count on one hand the number of people using imported Russian saigas converted to AK config for anything other than range shooting. Ok, maybe some hunting.

My thoughts exactly.

Really? Ok.. so tell me WHY buy an AK platform (more reliable/less accurate) for range use? There are AR's for that. There are Ruger 10/22's for that (FAR more accurate than any AK will EVER be). There are ... heck... just about ANY other firearm will be more accurate for range use! The AK platform would be the least effective platfom for accuracy/cost/range use you'd find.

No. I'm calling b.s. here. The reason MOST people buy an AK platform is for it's reliability. Why? Certainly NOT for it's range use. They buy them because they think someday their life may depend on them. Now why stuff a "range only" mag into a "my life may depend on it" rifle? Let's be realistic here. Tapco's are great range mags, but claiming "how many people have actually used their AK type rifle to defend themself" is NOT a defense of Tapco's mags.

• Like 1

The OP's post is based around reliability in the Tapco magazine. He (among others) have proven Tapco mags reliable. No one has proven them un-breakable. A reliable mag in a reliable platform sounds like win to me...

I'm not former/retired military, but don't they teach maintenance and care of ones weapon? I consider throwing or dropping ones weapon in the dirt utter fail. The AK platform was developed well before the turn of the century and stamped steel magazines were developed for the platform long before quality polymers were developed/produced. The cost of steel and availability helped usher in the polymer age and it has been proven effective and reliable in many products. Glocks are proven and reliable, and yet there are still the die-hard "steel is king" purists out there.

• Like 1

there's nothing wrong with polymer mags imo you might aswell say xd's glock's and a variety of other weapons and accessories out their are junk. ifs its aints steel its pert neer garbage

Well thats not a fair comparison, its not that Polymer is a terrible problem, its just the way certain Polymer mags are made. I think Tapcos are good, and would trust my life to one if it was all I had, but would prefer a better option. The main issue I think many have with Tapco is the fear that the locking lugs and feed lips are not reinforced like the Bulgarian Circle 10s. This lack of reinforcement leads many to believe they will be more likely to break under stressful conditions. I couldnt imagine someone only using Tapco magazines, seems risky in the long run.

They are the second best budget magazine after the Bulgarian bullet mags.

• Like 1

Really? Ok.. so tell me WHY buy an AK platform (more reliable/less accurate) for range use? There are AR's for that. There are Ruger 10/22's for that (FAR more accurate than any AK will EVER be). There are ... heck... just about ANY other firearm will be more accurate for range use! The AK platform would be the least effective platfom for accuracy/cost/range use you'd find.

I find my saiga to be quite accurate. I find 7.62x39 to be quite inexpensive.

You can also get a saiga for less than a 10/22, and two saigas for less than a decent AR15.

No. I'm calling b.s. here. The reason MOST people buy an AK platform is for it's reliability. Why? Certainly NOT for it's range use. They buy them because they think someday their life may depend on them. Now why stuff a "range only" mag into a "my life may depend on it" rifle? Let's be realistic here. Tapco's are great range mags, but claiming "how many people have actually used their AK type rifle to defend themself" is NOT a defense of Tapco's mags.

I guess we'll have to disagree. I see lots of other reasons to own an AK clone, affordable quality being #1. Ok, ill concede that Tapcos are not ideal for preppers. But I believe that to be a small portion of sales and use. Some would say ZERO use as the apokowlypse hasnt happened yet. As far as the tactical contingent, any 'operators' are more likely using a $1000 AR with a $1000 optic. Why not? Its a tax writeoff.

Here is the deal...this post was for reliability....not brute strength...there are so many internet ninja in this world its insane...talking about going to battle etc...have you ever had your life in danger by another human? 95% NO...

Steel over polymer...steel will win every time...now do I plan on dropping my AK like that........UM NO....I have a sling for that.

Again...THIS POST was about how reliable they have been for 1000rds not strength

I am planning to keep this mag until it malfunctions....will keep it loaded to test feed lips over time....

Edited by thehun
  • Like 1

Here is the deal...this post was for reliability....not brute strength...there are so many internet ninja in this world its insane...talking about going to battle etc...have you ever had your life in danger by another human? 95% NO...

Steel over polymer...steel will win every time...now do I plan on dropping my AK like that........UM NO....I have a sling for that.

Again...THIS POST was about how reliable they have been for 1000rds not strength

I am planning to keep this mag until it malfunctions....will keep it loaded to test feed lips over time....

In your original post you rave how the mags have stood up to ABUSE and most complaints about Tapcos are not about them feeding reliably it about the there ability to with stand abuse. Your comments about your thread being based on "reliability" alone is incorrect. No need to get defensive and make broad statements about everyone.

In your original post you rave how the mags have stood up to ABUSE and most complaints about Tapcos are not about them feeding reliably it about the there ability to with stand abuse. Your comments about your thread being based on "reliability" alone is incorrect. No need to get defensive and make broad statements about everyone.

you sound defensive

Can I make a small suggestion. Set ANY poly rifle magazine in full sun for a few months. The light tends to react with plastic in a bad way and could give you an indication of what the material will do over a longer duration. I know the plastic parts on my car are much less flexible then the day it rolled off the line, and they are made with sun exposure in mind. Two years is not that long in the grand scheme, think of it this way, anything called a "preban mag" is almost 20 years old. Plastics just don't last that long without metal reinforcements to help them.

I get requests to make all kinds of magazines out of steel because people understand that with a little oil every so often that metal items can remain usable for not just a couple years but for several hundred. These days its not so clear that we will always be able to buy a replacement.

Edit: You know I'm actually ideally set to preform the test myself. I have several of each type of mag, enough glass to build a frame and I live in the sun shine state.

• Like 2

You need to re read my post....

Can I make a small suggestion. Set ANY poly rifle magazine in full sun for a few months. The light tends to react with plastic in a bad way and could give you an indication of what the material will do over a longer duration. I know the plastic parts on my car are much less flexible then the day it rolled off the line, and they are made with sun exposure in mind. Two years is not that long in the grand scheme, think of it this way, anything called a "preban mag" is almost 20 years old. Plastics just don't last that long without metal reinforcements to help them.

I get requests to make all kinds of magazines out of steel because people understand that with a little oil every so often that metal items can remain usable for not just a couple years but for several hundred. These days its not so clear that we will always be able to buy a replacement.

Edit: You know I'm actually ideally set to preform the test myself. I have several of each type of mag, enough glass to build a frame and I live in the sun shine state.

Great post!

I and i'm sure many others, would love to see the test.

My oppologies to the op if I came across as a jerk. I did not mean to. I was just informing some of durability issues with the Tapco's. I did not realize this was ONLY about reliability. I will admit.. my Tapco's have been flawless as far as reliability (If were only talkling about shooting, and not handling duarability). IMHO, they ARE the cheapest/reliable (shooting) mags you can get. I wish Tapco would have manned up and put steel in the lugs/lips and charged $5 more for them. I'd be considering them combat worthy at that point. However... I'll take a $10 used steel mag (which I can repaint) over a $9 poly (only) ANYDAY.

So for $10 you get a steel mag which is utterly reliable AND combat worthy (handles ALL misuse, drops, etc), or you can get a Tapco for same cost that is ONLY reliable for shooting (not for combat or unfortunate misuse). No brainer here. Seriously.

I'll also add that with the current political climate, if "standard cap" mags become no longer legal to purchase, you'll be kicking yourself for not opting for the nearly indestructible steel mags (which can also be repaired!), as the poly mags break or wear out. This is no contest here. Steel is the way to go.

Edited by Brian M1

I even kept one of them loaded with 20rds of ammo for a year and that mag works flawless still...I just got some new Tapco mags and the spring tension has retained its stiffness as a new one. Feed lips still look like new

Static tension on a spring does not cause wear, so that's not really a good indicator of how the spring will hold up. Wear on a spring comes from applied stress via load cycles. Whether or not a spring is compressed doesn't make a difference because regardless of whether it's either compressed or relaxed, it's undergoing 0 load cycles.