Saiga Handguard That Fits?

Does anyone make an aftermarket foregrip that actually fits?

I bought a handguard from...okay, I'll delete the company name to avoid trouble. Anyway, it would not go over the barrel and gas tube. People told me it might have to be "sanded" a little, or some such. I ended up putting it on the milling machine and taking so much material off, the upper edges got so thin, they cracked. It's STILL too tight. It's very clear that this thing was never right to start with. Surely someone makes one that comes close to fitting. I need something that has rails.

Was the handguard you tried for the S12 or something else? If it was ment for the gun and did'nt fit why not tell us who makes it? As for other handguards, google works http://www.google.com/search?q=saiga+12+handguard&hl=en&rlz=1R2ACAW_en&source=lnms&sa=X&ei=T7aVUM7UI62u0AHq9YGwCw&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAA&biw=1281&bih=488

If you have access to a mill you could modify the Magpul 870 forend like I did. It fits great and as for the rails you can put sections on wear you need them to keep the weight down as much ad possible. I made a "how to" video on it. Just go to YouTube and type in "Magpul Remington 870 forend modified to fit Saiga-12" and it should come up.

A little more information would be helpful. Is this a Saiga 12 shottie or a Saiga rifle? Both have separate ways of attaching the handguard. If it is a rifle, and not a two piece Quad rail, you will most likely have to slide the handguard on from the muzzle back. Give us some pics and info and with the wealth of knowledge on this forum, someone will be able to help you out.

I am actually looking to find a wood handguard that works along with a Vepr thumbhole stock. I am attempting to find a wooden Vepr 12 stock but there are so few Vepr 12s in wood that I've found, I don't think anyones gonna sell one. I know rusmilitary had wood Saiga stocks and now they're sold out. Once I can find something I can alter to fit, I will be working my project together. I'd keep an eye on rusmilitary and maybe he will get in some new stocks.

If you have access to a mill you could modify the Magpul 870 forend like I did. It fits great and as for the rails you can put sections on wear you need them to keep the weight down as much ad possible. I made a "how to" video on it. Just go to YouTube and type in "Magpul Remington 870 forend modified to fit Saiga-12" and it should come up.

First, thanks for the video and idea, I used a hacksaw, and file. then put something on the reciever to transfer a mark to the stock,gave it a tap. Cut grooves just deep enough to seat the stock into the reciever and the stock mounting hole on the gas block is at the very top of the grips Moe slot. Solid as hell. less than 1hr to do. Best looking and light weight handguard IMO. Sorry for the highjack, but a good option. Still have my Chaos tri rail too. Heavier, but Super fit and finish. if you want a rail set up. Edit due to my lack of key board skills. Edited by rnemhrd
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry for not being specific. It's a Saiga 12 shotgun.

The handguard was an (name redacted in response to troll attack). I don't know if it was warped or what, but it was useless. Wouldn't go on from the front, the back, at an angle--nothing. I decided to replace it with a UAG. I haven't tried installing it yet because I put the original handguard back on the gun, and it got stuck.

I am aware that Google works. Thank you for that helpful tip. I felt that it would be wise to ask for advice from people with experience rather than choosing the first thing that popped up on Google.

Edited by Steve H. Graham

The UAG is installed. I had to do a very small amount of filing on the tab that goes into the receiver, probably due to vodka-influenced receiver specs, but other than that, it went on easily, and it's going to do exactly what I want. A very nice product. The (name redacted in response to troll attack) still bewilders me. It never had a chance of fitting this gun.

Now I have to do something about all the finish damage from the (name redacted in response to troll attack).

In response to this thread, a business member sent me strange, persistent messages, asking for photos of the handguard and claiming he wanted it for his own use. I thought this was odd, since I made it pretty clear that it was destroyed. Finally, when I told him I hadn't photographed it before throwing it out, he revealed his real motivation. He accused me of "trashing" the manufacturer with a "rant." It seems pretty obvious that he never had any interest in the handguard; apparently, he was hoping he could use the photos to "prove" the handguard was great, and that I was an evil person for criticizing it.

I am not planning to reveal the name of the business member who sent me the messages.

So you can see why I think he was conning me, here are bits taken from his first and last messages:

1. "Hey what are you gonna do with that SGM HG you said wouldn't work? Don't throw it out, I'll take it off your hands if ya don't want it. I have a mill so I can fix it."

Wow. Seems like he's just a friendly guy looking for a gun part!

2. "Well you made a huge mistake then and trashed a reputable company in the process... while possibly costing them much business with your uninformed public RANT."

Oops. Where did THAT come from?

Glad I never did business with him. Would you trust a person like that?

Anyone who can read will see that I was reluctant to mention the manufacturer ("I bought a handguard from...okay, I'll delete the company name to avoid trouble."), and I only did so when another member asked for it. I have since edited my posts to remove the name. In spite of the way the business member behaved, he makes a valid point. I don't want to give people the impression that this company makes bad products as a general rule. Sorry if it appeared that I was saying this brand of handguard is no good.

I don't know why the handguard did not fit. I don't know whether it somehow got warped while it was being manufactured, or if they sent me a 20-gauge model by mistake, or what. I have no reason to believe that other handguards made by this company won't fit. They must fit as a general rule, or people would not buy them. I do know the one I got was useless. Even for me, it's not that hard to figure out whether a tube will fit in a slot. That being said, the UAG I ended up with is completely superior. No comparison.

Now I'm wondering...is this bizarre incident an indication that there is a conflict between the business members and everyone else? The character who sent me the weird messages is a business member, but the person who asked who made the handguard is not. I have to wonder: if I talk about products here, should I expect to get caught between defensive business members and regular members who want to know which products stink? Also, if I'm honest about bad products, do I have to worry that the business members will get me banned?

• Like 1

In response to this thread, a business member sent me strange, persistent messages, asking for photos of the handguard and claiming he wanted it for his own use. I thought this was odd, since I made it pretty clear that it was destroyed. Finally, when I told him I hadn't photographed it before throwing it out, he revealed his real motivation. He accused me of "trashing" the manufacturer with a "rant." It seems pretty obvious that he never had any interest in the handguard; apparently, he was hoping he could use the photos to "prove" the handguard was great, and that I was an evil person for criticizing it.

I am not planning to reveal the name of the business member who sent me the messages.

So you can see why I think he was conning me, here are bits taken from his first and last messages:

1. "Hey what are you gonna do with that SGM HG you said wouldn't work? Don't throw it out, I'll take it off your hands if ya don't want it. I have a mill so I can fix it."

Wow. Seems like he's just a friendly guy looking for a gun part!

2. "Well you made a huge mistake then and trashed a reputable company in the process... while possibly costing them much business with your uninformed public RANT."

Oops. Where did THAT come from?

Glad I never did business with him. Would you trust a person like that?

Anyone who can read will see that I was reluctant to mention the manufacturer ("I bought a handguard from...okay, I'll delete the company name to avoid trouble."), and I only did so when another member asked for it. I have since edited my posts to remove the name. In spite of the way the business member behaved, he makes a valid point. I don't want to give people the impression that this company makes bad products as a general rule. Sorry if it appeared that I was saying this brand of handguard is no good.

I don't know why the handguard did not fit. I don't know whether it somehow got warped while it was being manufactured, or if they sent me a 20-gauge model by mistake, or what. I have no reason to believe that other handguards made by this company won't fit. They must fit as a general rule, or people would not buy them. I do know the one I got was useless. Even for me, it's not that hard to figure out whether a tube will fit in a slot. That being said, the UAG I ended up with is completely superior. No comparison.

Now I'm wondering...is this bizarre incident an indication that there is a conflict between the business members and everyone else? The character who sent me the weird messages is a business member, but the person who asked who made the handguard is not. I have to wonder: if I talk about products here, should I expect to get caught between defensive business members and regular members who want to know which products stink? Also, if I'm honest about bad products, do I have to worry that the business members will get me banned?

Oh my! smile.png

"It seems pretty obvious that he never had any interest in the handguard; apparently, he was hoping he could use the photos to "prove" the handguard was great, and that I was an evil person for criticizing it".

Ha! Well thank you sir. At least you managed to get that one thing right in this whole thread.

Congrats! You're a real smart one. haha.gif

Oh thank you for this part also... Glad I never did business with him. Would you trust a person like that?

I am happy to say that most people here will disagree with that sentiment. smile.png

LMAO! 021.gif

Here allow me then.... I will step forward into the light on my own then. I had started by writing this response to your BS in the PM, but when I hit send it wouldn't go through. Thank you for blocking me and giving me reason to bring the truth here to our members so they can actually see how childish you really are. Oh and about that comment you made to me about my intelligence? Read your own sig line...HAHAHAHA! People who have more tools than intelligence, IMO should not go anywhere near those tools. This thread is a prime example of this fact. laugh.png

In your PMs, which unlike yourself, I actually do respect the definition of a "private message", so never post any of them in public, with or without names thanks... nonono.gif You made the excuse that it was ok to do what you did. because you only named who made the HG in question, AFTER someone asked. Well no shit. What did you expect them to do???

For the record, It doesn't make any difference WHEN you named them. The fact is you DID, and without any pictures or knowledge to back up your ridiculous claim. That doesn't change the fact either, that you chose to come pout about it on the forum instead of simply asking SGM why your HG wasn't working. I'm dishonest?? Don't flatter yourself. I didn't try to do anything dishonest at all. I asked you if you wanted to get rid of it after you already messed it up. All I wanted was to see it for myself, to see if there was actually anything I should be concerned about for my own future purchases of the HGs, go back in public and inform others if there was actually a real problem, and to verify whether or not to try and back up your story. Unlike you, I actually care enough to have gone straight to SGM with if there was actually a problem. I know them, and I know they don't put out shitty products. We have an ever increasing problem on this forum, with people like you.

I am 99.99 % positive that what you did was just an uninformed mistake. I was hoping to find out for sure what the true cause of the problem was, so I could go into your thread afterward, and let everyone know the real truth behind this BS. I wanted to keep the ugly parts private for your benfit, but hey! If you wanna play out in the open? Let's play buddy . smile.png

It sounds to me like what you did was try and use a rifle HG, instead of the correct SHOTGUN HG which would have fit just perfectly. It is utterly impossible for a mold that has spit out thousands of identical specimens, which were inspected before packaging... to have magically goofed and made a HG that was totally beyond use as you say it was. These guns may not be all exactly the same in some tight tolerances, but the outer dimensions are pretty much the same. Your story is BS.

What did the part look like where it fits into the receiver? It was supposed to look like this.

post-1293-0-13492400-1353432392_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-30794800-1353432442_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-32873300-1353432918_thumb.jpg

Not like this...

(top one)

post-1293-0-42566600-1353432467_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately I don't happen to have a 20 ga model to show pictures of. The 20 ga receiver has a larger (taller) space in it for the tang, similar to the rifles, but doesn't need to be retained by the tang, so it's just a stub.

And finally, the hole in the bottom where you put the screw to mount it with. I'm betting your HG did not have this hole, because the Saiga rifles use a pin and groove mounting system. If it DID have a hole in the bottom, and the tang was shorter than a rifle HG but taller (top to bottom), then yes it was probably a 20 gauge HG.

REGARDLESS, your whiney little thread here bashing a very reputable company (which you are INDEED doing), is total bullshit, and people like you, who keep bringing this kind of drama and vendor bashing to our forum, IMO SUCK and should be banned. If you had actually wanted, and asked nicely for help with your little problem, I would have been the first to help you. If I could have gotten honest answers to my questions, or if you had sense enough to even ask intelligent questions here, you never would have wasted a perfectly good HG like you did. That was stupid on your part.

What concerned me though, enough to take my valuable time to try and get to the bottom of this crap (like I did thank you very much), is the way you did like so many other newbies here have been causing problems for us vendors by doing. You didn't do the right thing, and place a polite call or send a message to SGM, when you first encountered a problem. You didn't even have the good sense to ask a few simple questions on the forum. If you HAD...it would not have mattered if you named them by name. That isn't what you did though was it? No, instead you brought your silly ass little drama fest here pouting like a prissy little girl who bought the wrong color nail polish, then got mad and bit off all her nails and threw them in the trash. rolleyes.gif

THANK YOU, you are definitely NOT the type of customer the I want to do business with ever. Enjoy your chinese BS hand guard and hopefully your Saiga is still compliant with that crap on it. Believe what you want, but the AMERICAN MADE SGM HGs are in fact a better product.

I also thank you for "exposing" me like you have, as "that guy" who actually gives a damn enough about this forum and our vendors. I would thank you for wasting this much of my time over the past few days, and especially today, but ya know?... I don't feel it is wasted at all if I can shut your pouty piehole and expose you to everyone for what you are, while protecting the excellent reputation of our friends here at SGM. :)

Have a nice day.

victory.gif

Now for all the intelligent members and lurkers here, and especially for our friends at SGM (Not SMG) who make so many good products for all of our Saiga and Vepr firearms, here are a couple of pics of what their tri rail HGs look, inside and out, and mounted on an S-12 and a Saiga 7.62x39...

post-1293-0-47973300-1353432521_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-66189000-1353432593_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-04655800-1353432641_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Wow I hate to beat this to death, deadhorse.gif but this member seems to have a pattern going.... Seems he has developed a habit of buying a part, not being smart enough to install it, then immediately running to the forums to ask if someone makes a better product. People like this really should learn to call the store where they bought a product, and ask for assembly instructions when they get stumped by something so simple... not run around bitching about the product. Mr Graham perhaps you should consider looking around for a local gunsmith to help you install DIY parts.

Here he can't figure out the simplicity of enlarging a hole for a screw to go in it? Seriously???

So instead it became the best decision to go welding on it? An aluminum block to a steel receiver? Instead of just doing a five minute simple modification necessary with many after market parts for these guns? Really man? huh.png

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/81412-rear-plate-that-actually-fits-saiga-12/#entry816063

• Like 1