Bullet Guide, 5.45 vs 223

OK, I went to the gun show today and was fully intending to get a 7.62x39 Saiga. I already have a 223 that I converted and had the itch for another one in a different caliber. I had already been kicking it around for a while and was trying to decide between 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 and finally decided on the 7.62.

I got there early and saw two of the 7.62 for $410 on a table. I walked the rest of the show very quickly to check pricing and came back to find that they had already been sold! There was only one other individual who had a non converted 7.62x39 rifle and he was asking $580 for it - a stock saiga sporter! Jackass. The only other stock Saiga there happened to be in 5.45x39 for $409 which happened to be my second choice anyway, so I bought it.

My question is this. I happen to have an extra 223 bullet guide. Would it work for the 5.45, or are they different? They are both the round trunnion design. What is the difference between the two bullet guides?

Thanks!

OK, per Greg at Carolina Shooters Supply, the 5.45 and 223 Saigas use the same bullet guide, providing that they are both round trunnions! Time to hit the garage and begin...

Edited by Forge
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

FWIW, there have been people in the past that have built custom 5.56 parts kit AKs using a 5.45 bullet guide and trunnion. I plan to do this somewhat soon. The 5.45 bullet guide feeds 5.56 snap caps from mags without any issue.

Edited by mancat