CSS Vepr 12 Brake

I just received my Carolina Shooter Supply US made GK-01.

It looks great, freaking massive. It does have smaller left side slits near the muzzle, the GK-01 only has slits on the right side.

Also it has a threaded insert glued to it like the original GK-01. Underneath it is marked CSS USA.

I am very pleased, the quality looks great!!!

I will post some pics when I get home from work tonight.

• Like 1

I have my doubts...they won't even state what kind of aluminum it is made out of....

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/80698-aluminum-muzzle-brakes/

I don't want a muzzle brake to blowup in my face...I hope it doesn't happen to you.

I received my US GK-01 today. Carolina SS has always been great with parts, and I expect more of the same.

I will keep folks posted and take pictures if it would be helpful. Should get out this coming weekend.

I have my doubts...they won't even state what kind of aluminum it is made out of....

I don't want a muzzle brake to blowup in my face...I hope it doesn't happen to you.

7075 billet. Same exact material the Russian one is made of that we have. We also put 3000 rounds through it before we plated it with the super tough Nituf hard plating.

• Like 4

7075 billet. Same exact material the Russian one is made of that we have. We also put 3000 rounds through it before we plated it with the super tough Nituf hard plating.

NEVER DOUBT CSS!!! nonono.gif

• Like 1

Greg,

Do the ports on the left side offer any advantages over the original design?

Hey SB...I asked a similar question in his other thread and this what he replied:

I noticed that you have the three slots running on both sides of your version of the brake(or so it seems in the pic) where the original Molot GK-01 has the three slots only on the right side. Is there a specific reason for this? Does it help increase the function of the brake over the original or have you done side by side test fires? Just curious as I was thinking of getting a GK-01 or your US version for my Vepr when she arrives and noticed the slight difference. Thanks

When testing the factory brake with hotter ammo like buck shot and slugs we had a lot of rear push straight back even though there was no muzzle rise. We enlarged the right front ports and then added smaller left side ports which helped with the brake pushing straight back and maintained the zero rise.

It also looks like the vertical chambers are angled, unlike Molot. Not a bad change, just not identical.

Same angle the original. The side ports are the only change to keep the gun from pushing straight back as hard..

• Like 2

Shotgun rounds are not high pressure. You would be surprised what you could stick on the front of a Saiga 12 and not blow it up.

• Like 1

Just put mine on today. Looks awesome on the vepr-12. Pictures don't do it justice.

Thanks Greg

Lewie212 is so right ... "Pictures don't do it justice"

The Quality & Finish is amazing!

Put mine on Tonight & Oh man does it make you want to go shooting!

Just looking at The Vepr 12 with this break is Awesome!!! Stoked! 027.gif

Thank you CSS! ... super fast shipping!!!

Pics & Range Report Soon. Unless there's Surf LOL

BTW ... do get the barrell Nut

http://store.carolin...r-barrel/Detail

DSC03915.JPG

Thanks for the response. 7075 is a good strong aluminum and the only thing that kept me from ordering one....I am suprised you didn't state this earlier as others were wondering what aluminum it was made out of.

Greg,

Such "improvements" doesn't have any sense on Saiga-12/Vepr-12. Original GK-01 was designed by Vsevolod Ilyn such as superior Muzzle Brake-Compensator for Vepr-12/Saiga-12, both of them such as their grandfather AK needs Up and Right compensation during fast fire to keep the barrel in line. Adding ports ports to the left side they eliminate Right commemoration, and decreased Up compensation. Current design of GK-01 is made the MBC symmetric design that is more suitable for tube magazine shotguns, even though to use it with such shotguns, GK-01 without left/right compensation ports will be around 30% more effective :(.

I don't know what Vsevolod Ilyn think about such improvements, but I'm sure he enough qualified practical shooter, who consult Molot as well as IZMASH for Vepr-12/Saiga-12 IPSC appliance, and before mass production of GK-01diffefence design samples for Saiga/Vepr were made and tested by IPSC shooters, there is no left ports on the final disign!

• Like 3

Greg,

Such "improvements" doesn't have any sense on Saiga-12/Vepr-12. Original GK-01 was designed by Vsevolod Ilyn such as superior Muzzle Brake-Compensator for Vepr-12/Saiga-12, both of them such as their grandfather AK needs Up and Right compensation during fast fire to keep the barrel in line. Adding ports ports to the left side they eliminate Right commemoration, and decreased Up compensation. Current design of GK-01 is made the MBC symmetric design that is more suitable for tube magazine shotguns, even though to use it with such shotguns, GK-01 without left/right compensation ports will be around 30% more effective sad.png.

I don't know what Vsevolod Ilyn think about such improvements, but I'm sure he enough qualified practical shooter, who consult Molot as well as IZMASH for Vepr-12/Saiga-12 IPSC appliance, and before mass production of GK-01diffefence design samples for Saiga/Vepr were made and tested by IPSC shooters, there is no left ports on the final disign!

The original design is excellent. I was considering buying one of the CSS versions before finding that the design was altered. I wanted to go with the CSS as a means of saving a little money and contributing to the US parts count. I really need to get moving on a permed 13.5" V12 and don't have a lot of time to wait, so I may have to purchase another original GK-01. Maybe Greg can let us know if there is a exact copy coming. I'm sure I'm not the only one that would be interested in that.

• Like 1

During our testing the enlarged right ports and adding smaller left ports does help with the straight back recoil for buck shot and slugs. We tested a few designs and this was the best for shooting buck shot and slugs. Competition shooters normally shoot mostly birdshot so this would not help them much.

• Like 1

So Greg...would you say your brake is more effective at taming buckshot/slugs than the original design, where the original is more for the competition shooters and is better for birdshot? l would like to here somome elses opionion who actually owns or has shot both brakes. I was also thinking about the CSS version since the originals are harder to come by but like Evl was unsure of the alteration. Looking forward to hearing some rage reports once people get out and start shooting with these new brakes.

They work exactly the same on low brass birdshot that most competition guys use. The difference will be on the hotter shells where our side ports help more..

• Like 1