This is a question that most of us will answer at some point or another. After a conversation I had with a coworker tonight, I thought I'd see what answers other people have given to this question.

The guy I talked to isn't anti gun or anything. He just isn't a shooter and asked in conversation. Understood my answers and explanation of the 2A and was glad to get an answer.

To feed my addiction.

To add to the collection.

I didn't need it, I wanted it.

Because I got boried and needed a project.

I've never seen anyhing like it.

21st of December is coming quick.

Conversation starter, do you know anyone that owns one? Now you do.

When i go postal........................

Most of the people that know me, even on construction sites, don't ask me that anymore.

It's well accepted that I'm missing a few screws and my brain's wiring has acouple shorts in it.

Most of the time it's; That's cool, you did that? and/or How did you do that?

Edited by akastormi
  • Like 2

To protect me and mine in our quest for life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, and because the 2nd Amendment wasnt put in place for sporting purposes.

You should ask him why he doesnt need it. There will come a time when people that seem to put their own protection in the hands of others working for a department will be let down.

Edited by Captain Hero
  • Like 8

.... because I can't talk a cop into hanging out with me 24-7.

I don't understand how anyone can ask that question with a straight face (I usually stare blankly for a couple of seconds as I think "You have to be fucking kidding me"). LOOK AT THE NEWS PEOPLE! LOOK AROUND! THE WORLD ISN'T GETTING ANY FRIENDLIER! It must be bliss....

I usually get the "What are you going to do with that?", and I generally reply "Anything I want...."

Edited by evlblkwpnz
  • Like 6

The conversation started with him telling me about how he got to go shooting pistols with his cousin or something. He'd never had an interest before I guess. So I showed him pics of a couple of mine and that's when he asked that about my 9mm AR pistol. I offered to take him shooting and told him he was welcome to try anything I have and see what he might like. After the talk, he was asking about pricing and wanted to get a rifle of some kind. If nothing else, I've maybe opened someone else up to the wide wonderful world of firearms. :)

Edited by dayofruin
  • Like 8

As much as I would like to answer that question with a response that illustrates the questioner's ignorance, I find that it is normally better to try to educate them on the founding fathers intent to guarantee that an armed populace would ensure that liberty would not be trampled by government.

When talking with an ardent anti-gunner, I normally cut my losses and say, "because the government has them". It looks like you handled the question well though, and might have brought another person into the fold. Good job.

• Like 1

I get asked that from time to time. Its amazing how non anti gun people can be so anti gun and not know it.

I usually start with "because I can" greedy.gif

Or come back at them with. Why do you need that Iphone? Or 5 thousand square foot house when 2 thousand will do? Or if its a woman, 12 pair of shoes. Those 6 purses. That 60 thousand dollar suv.

Most of them just get aggrivated and say "thats different"

• Like 3

I'm sure city denizens know how long it takes the police to come to one's aid too.

The question "Why do you need that?" sort of implies the question "Why should you be allowed to have that?" The answer to the question as stated has some very practical answers, most of which have been stated (e.g. defense against violent hazards, the need for intellectual and physical stimulation, etc.) The answer to the implied question is better answered with the more intangible reason that is repeated supra (i.e. it is a right). I reckon that most non-initiates into the world of guns will not be sympathetic to the notion of rights justifying ownership. The more practical reasons would be, in my estimation, a better way to open the non-shooter's eyes. People tend not to care about rights they don't directly reap the benefits of.

Because my wife and daughter deserve to be protected by whatever means necessary and possible. Not wanting guns is like saying, 'im vulnerable and dont want to think rationally about it".

http://current.com/s...ore-gun-control

Here is Cenk Uyger, he is talking head for 'the young turks". He just had someone break into his house, the police were there to protect him, so thankfully he didnt have to do it for himself. Its a good thing the cops were a minute away, because he admits to having zero means to protect his own, vulnerable family. This is the height of isolation based views on self defense, isolation from the real world that is. His situation could have been alot worse and he wont admit it.

This guys views on guns are absolutely retarded. These are the people who dont understand the shooting sports, the right to bear arms, and everyones own ability to defend what they hold dear (when properly armed).

Edited by Boomsick42

Being in enemy territory I get this a lot. In regards to the rifles, I don't have to say much. They are entertaining, they will defend me when in need, and if the economy collapses I have an investment that will only gain value. In regards to "hi-cap" mags, I usually explain that since the ranges I go to charge hourly, I prefer to have as many bullets prepared at a time so I'm not being charged hourly to reload. Someone that asks usually isnt willing to listen to 2A talk and all that. Lotta deaf ears in this area

I get this question quite a bit because I open carry, I usually use " when seconds count the police are always minutes away." Have yet for anyone to try and argue with that one but I like to be a bit of a smart ass sometimes just to fun with people and test there knowledge.

Hello

Because I (we) owe it to our forefathers who laid everything dear to them on the line to provide us with the freedom to make those decisions.

I choose to honor them, and my loved ones, by doing everything in my God-given power to resist anything, and anybody, that would try and wrest those priveledges from me.

My freedom, liberty, and ability to choose are the most valuable gifts I have been given.

God bless all those who have paved the way for freedom and liberty to survive.

Respectfully,

-guido

"God Loves Liberty" (And He will bless us today!)

• Like 3

Lots of good answers! It just depends on the context of the question and why you're being asked, I think. Most people around here are open to about anything and aren't too anti gun. Hell the county I live in has 5, or maybe more, places that sell guns! I've been asked about guns and shooting a lot lately and it's mostly people that didn't own one previously, but now KNOW they need one.