Muzzle Brakes - Weight VS Ports

Ok I know this has been debated before but Im going to add this to my "Saiga-12 Muzzle Brake Recoil Comparison Video". I'll start on the video as soon as all the brakes get here. The brakes that will be in the testing will be the JTE Competition, CSS Molot GK-01, and also thanks to CSS I'll be adding the Tromix Monster and Mini Monster. I will start off by shooting my Saiga-12 with nothing on it as a baseline. I'll shoot bird shot, buck shot, and slugs with no muzzle brake and then with all the brakes. I will use a backdrop similar to the one I use for the "Handgun Recoil Comparison" video I did but this one will be better and more thought out. The video might be quite long but it will be worth it I think. Im plaining on doing the shooting myself because it will show you what the S12 does when not supported with another arm and that should show the effectiveness of the muzzle brakes. I'll add my friend shooting with a support arm if it wont make it too long. I might even add a black backdrop to see if I can catch the gasses/muzzle blast to show what the brakes do too.

Now to the debate on if its just the weight that reduces muzzle flip or if the porting really does help. I bought the CSS Molot GK-01brake copy as soon as it was ready and HOLY CRAP is it light! Thats the reason why I got it seeing as I only shoot with one arm it helps to keep the weight at the muzzle as light as I can. Most of you also know Im in school to be a machinist and my instructor has signed off on me making a copy of the CSS copy of the Molot GK-01. My instructor said ok because I'll be doing this on a manual lathe & mill. Plus for me it would take too long to write out a G-code program for CNC and Im not that good at the CAD software they use at school plus it will be fun. Im making my copy out of steel so that we can see if its the weight or the porting that prevents muzzle flip.

post-34773-0-26067800-1352242515_thumb.jpgpost-34773-0-97361000-1352242528_thumb.jpg

I don't think anyone questions porting for muzzle flip. I think it'd be interesting to measure the recoil generated by both though.

Ive seen recently here the debate on that topic. I know porting does help but the question is how much does the weight add to the reduced muzzle flip. It will be a very well planned out video and I'll try to make it my best yet.

I suggest mounting the gun in a gun vise (or lead sled type arrangement that can move with the gun linearly and allow some muzzle flip. It will need around 10 lbs of weight. That should allow the gun to move between 3" and 8" and thus give you a scale that repeatedly shows difference in performance.

Also, having a scale in the background to show both vertical and rearward travel is needed.

I am sure you have something in mind, but if not, PM me and I will try to do some simple drawings of the design I plan to make for my own test rig.

Looking forward to the video.

• Like 1

I suggest mounting the gun in a gun vise (or lead sled type arrangement that can move with the gun linearly and allow some muzzle flip. It will need around 10 lbs of weight. That should allow the gun to move between 3" and 8" and thus give you a scale that repeatedly shows difference in performance.

Also, having a scale in the background to show both vertical and rearward travel is needed.

I am sure you have something in mind, but if not, PM me and I will try to do some simple drawings of the design I plan to make for my own test rig.

Looking forward to the video.

I have a bench rest where I can strap a rifle in and it has a hydraulic trigger pull. I could put it on something to let it move back and not strap the barrel down. Only load 1 round at a time in case it jumps off the rest lol.

Just got my CSS version of the Motot brake... very well done AND glad to see that the threaded part is steel.... I want the Russian style choke behind it.... CSS said they are working on it... Looks like my bore is .720??? is this what you are reading????