http://news.yahoo.com/obama-win-u-backs-u-n-arms-treaty-193445288.html

UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - Hours after U.S. President Barack Obama was re-elected, the United States backed a U.N. committee's call on Wednesday to renew debate over a draft international treaty to regulate the $70 billion global conventional arms trade.

i read the article but still need a further breakdown. what i understand is that the treaty will apply to exporting firearms.

"We seek a treaty that contributes to international security by fighting illicit arms trafficking and proliferation, protects the sovereign right of states to conduct legitimate arms trade, and meets the concerns that we have been articulating throughout," the official said.

that is what concerns me. what does that actually mean?

If its only an import ban... (I know. Highly doubtful) Maybe an American company can/will produce American AK type rifles. I know this isn't just AKs we would lose, but if it's not an all encompassing AWB and only affects our imports, it could be profitable for American companies. Century already makes milled American AKs. Nodak makes stamped receivers. Several companies make small milled/CNC parts. We have barrel and furniture makers. I just don't see why we couldn't do it all here.

My wife and I were discussing potential firearms legislation and the feasability of entering the firearms industry about 10 minutes before I saw this last night. I estimated that the administration would wait until just after the mid-term elections before they tried anything like this. Looks like they are not concerned about losing seats.... almost like they know they will win. Makes you wonder about those ballot machines that are owned by george soros and service by the Service Employees International UNION.

If its only an import ban... (I know. Highly doubtful) Maybe an American company can/will produce American AK type rifles. I know this isn't just AKs we would lose, but if it's not an all encompassing AWB and only affects our imports, it could be profitable for American companies. Century already makes milled American AKs. Nodak makes stamped receivers. Several companies make small milled/CNC parts. We have barrel and furniture makers. I just don't see why we couldn't do it all here.

American labor is too expensive. What you could get for $500 before would likely cost upwards of $750.

My wife and I were discussing potential firearms legislation and the feasability of entering the firearms industry about 10 minutes before I saw this last night. I estimated that the administration would wait until just after the mid-term elections before they tried anything like this. Looks like they are not concerned about losing seats.... almost like they know they will win. Makes you wonder about those ballot machines that are owned by george soros and service by the Service Employees International UNION.

American labor is too expensive. What you could get for $500 before would likely cost upwards of $750.

This is something I was thinking about too... But I'm worried that a shop may too easily fail right now. That's why I'm getting into the firearms instruction area. I'll be offering NRA instruction courses in the spring. That'll be profitable enough to keep it going, hopefully.

I get ya on the pricing aspect for the American labor. $750 for a nicely built American AK when others may not be available to us, and we (some of us) are already willing to pay $1k plus for Arsenals, doesn't sound too bad.

Even if the American builder was just an assembler that bought parts from the other companies, I think they could get the quality and enough production to have a good market. AKs built on American receivers are already available and look at all the small parts that are produced even by our vendors.

• Like 1