Tromix stock snapped in half after 20 rounds. Anybody see this???

Brand new Tromix stock broke in half after 20 rounds during my first 3 gun match with 2-3/4 bird shot. Everyone at my gun club was horrified. I sprained my wrist so bad when this happened I was done for the day.

I was told Tromix stocks are metal reinforced. What the heck??? Cheap plastic

What do I replace this with? Ace, DPH? I want a stock that can handle a 3 gun match. What a waste of $75

post-14164-0-74283200-1352346802_thumb.jpg

post-14164-0-81374700-1352346831_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Tromix, has a Machined stock as well. Looks like that one might have been fractured previously some how. I have Tromix stocks on many, many builds and they have not failed. Give Tony a shout he will take care of you or where ever you bought it.

It maybe metal reinforced just not in that section. That looks like a molding issue. Injected molded plastic parts can end up with these fracture point when the machine isn't properly setup for the mold. It occurs because the geometry allows the molten plastic to collect and start to prematurely harden along certain surfaces as the molds filled. The curves that blend the necks into the bracket, where it broke, are exactly such features. When you imagine the mold cavity that section is just like a funnel, and just like when you fill the oil in your car the liquid fills the funnel faster than it flows out the bottom. Normally the machines setup man should adjust pressure and temperature at the particular injection points to best mitigate that.

Edited by Mythos

Hmmm...seems kind of odd. You were just shooting the gun and it broke just like that? I would think a break like that would have to be caused by some pretty significant bending force. Very odd indeed.whistling.gif

A few years back, MRM4 (a C3 FFL) had his break while firing. Tony sent him a new stock, no questions asked.

I was told Tromix stocks are metal reinforced. What the heck??? Cheap plastic

What do I replace this with? Ace, DPH? I want a stock that can handle a 3 gun match. What a waste of $75

Tony stands behind his beautiful products & then some. Just hit him up. He'll make it right.

I'm thinking no way anyone could damage this one regardless of what it goes through.

Next to spending $500.00 for an SVD folder, I think the Tromix is the hottest thing out there hands down, personally.

Mower%20007_zps43b7f5a0.jpg

Yeah, I would contact Tony and see if he will credit the value of that stock against the new metal version.

why should he do that? his metal stock is 135 bucks, DPH stocks are 70 bucks plus shipping (CSS), they both are virtually the same, the DPH one is a lot more affordable .

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

why should he do that? his metal stock is 135 bucks, DPH stocks are 70 bucks plus shipping (CSS), they both are virtually the same, the DPH one is a lot more affordable .

Why wouldn't he? I didn't suggest that he could exchange the stock straight across for the metal one, just that he should ask for credit towards it. It looks as though Tromix owes him a new stock anyway, so they might be willing to offer him an option of an upgrade instead of just a refund or exchanging it for the same thing that broke.

I looked at the DPH site and the only stock I saw was their galil style unit. It's in no way virtually the same as either of the Tromix stocks, which can be had with cool options such as a Limbsaver pad and an adjustable cheek rest that's actually decent. Not to say that there is anything wrong with the one DPH makes, if that's what you like.

Yeah, I would contact Tony and see if he will credit the value of that stock against the new metal version.

I could fuck a fat chick, or a hottie.

Both pussies are wet, but one gets me off more.

YMMV.

Beauty is, after all, in the eye of the beholder. wink.png

80590101.jpg

Edited by Leviathan
  • Like 2

Clearly obama's fault. Shits already starting to fall apart. Dows down 300pts, Greece is protesting, stocks are falling apart. What next?

Hey! I got my Obamagun (to go with my phone) for voting non-racist, so let's be fair here. Unfortunately it's a Hi-Point 9mm that sells for 130 bucks new. However, a letter came with it that stated due to government management of the transaction the cost to taxpayers per weapon was 1900.00 dollars. That made me feel a lot better.

BTW, regular members are slacking a bit. Normally it would have been suggested that you contact Tromix first before posting your unfortunate experience.

Edited by TacticoolTim

face it the only reason that TROMIX is more expensive is because it's a TROMIX and he values his product highly and asks for more money for it, doesn't mean it's better. it functions the same as the DPH. yeah, I know it's "blasphemy" to go against the cult following he has cultivated here. but the fact of matter, it really isn't worth that kind of money. both made out of billet aluminum, both look virtually the same

DPH

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/catalog/dph%20stock.jpg

TROMIX

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/catalog/DSC03872.JPG

Edited by Matthew Hopkins
  • Like 1

face it the only reason that TROMIX is more expensive is because it's a TROMIX and he values his product highly and asks for more money for it, doesn't mean it's better. it functions the same as the DPH. yeah, I know it's "blasphemy" to go against the cult following he has cultivated here. but the fact of matter, it really isn't worth that kind of money.

Another Epic statement.

That's the second one tonight! Bravo S-12 forum!!

face it the only reason that TROMIX is more expensive is because it's a TROMIX and he values his product highly and asks for more money for it, doesn't mean it's better. it functions the same as the DPH. yeah, I know it's "blasphemy" to go against the cult following he has cultivated here. but the fact of matter, it really isn't worth that kind of money. both made out of billet aluminum, both look virtually the same

The Tromix stock that he already has (that broke) is $85. Difference between that and the metal one is 50 bucks. IF Tromix will credit him for the broken stock (which remains to be seen), then he may be able to upgrade to a billet stock for less than buying one from DPH. Not to mention, the Tromix comes with a built-in recoil pad, and has the option of upgrading to a really good one. The DPH doesn't come with a recoil pad so if you want one, you have to pay extra, making it even less of a good deal. And even if you have a Limbsaver (or equivalent) custom fit to the DPH, it will never be as good, because it has less butt area to spread the recoil to. And if at some later date, he decides he wants an adjustable cheek rest, you can buy a decent one from CSS for the Tromix stock. For the DPH, bupkis.

The reason the Tromix stock carries a premium isn't because he has a cult following here, and it isn't even because he has better customer service. I've bought stuff from Scott at DPH before, and his customer service has always been outstanding. The reason it costs more, is because Tromix makes a better thought out, more versatile product. Note that this is not the same as saying there is anything wrong with the DPH stock, or that if you don't require a recoil pad or the possibility of fitting an adjustable cheek piece, that it won't do everything that you need it to. What I AM saying, is that since the OP already has his money invested in a Tromix product, and since Tony will almost certainly do whatever he has to do to make this right, he should at least ASK if he can upgrade to the higher end product that DOES have these additional features, since it may cost him less overall than just chucking his broken stock in the trash, and buying an entirely new one from another manufacturer.

Edited by Netpackrat
  • Like 1

Clearly obama's fault. Shits already starting to fall apart. Dows down 300pts, Greece is protesting, stocks are falling apart. What next?

Hey! I got my Obamagun (to go with my phone) for voting non-racist, so let's be fair here. Unfortunately it's a Hi-Point 9mm that sells for 130 bucks new. However, a letter came with it that stated due to government management of the transaction the cost to taxpayers per weapon was 1900.00 dollars. That made me feel a lot better.

BTW, regular members are slacking a bit. Normally it would have been suggested that you contact Tromix first before posting your unfortunate experience.

I don't think that is necessary. He just stated facts. He didn't go on some huge personal attack. Facts should be public. I for one want to know both about the equipment failure, and about the customer service success. Sure he should give Tromix a chance to fix it, but that is far short of an obligation to hide the fact that it broke. Every company has failures, every company should have thick enough skin to deal with them arise. The difference between good and bad companies is partly that the have less failures, partly that they solve the failures, and partly that they have a good attitude and don't attack their customer for pointing out the failures. Tromix has a good track record on all 3. Give Tony a chance to show it before you take up arms on his behalf.

I am sure tromix will send him a replacement. I'd ask for the metal tromix though.

I also like the DPH billet stock. Either one would be a nice choice.

• Like 4

I don't think that is necessary. He just stated facts. He didn't go on some huge personal attack. Facts should be public. I for one want to know both about the equipment failure, and about the customer service success. Sure he should give Tromix a chance to fix it, but that is far short of an obligation to hide the fact that it broke. Every company has failures, every company should have thick enough skin to deal with them arise. The difference between good and bad companies is partly that the have less failures, partly that they solve the failures, and partly that they have a good attitude and don't attack their customer for pointing out the failures. Tromix has a good track record on all 3. Give Tony a chance to show it before you take up arms on his behalf.

I am sure tromix will send him a replacement. I'd ask for the metal tromix though.

I also like the DPH billet stock. Either one would be a nice choice.

I agree overall that he was very civil (nice change from some of the complaint threads here) but did state he was out 75 bucks. That would tend to make me think he wasn't going to contact Tromix. My first course of action regardless of whether I did a thread revealing a problem would have been to get in touch with them.

I also seriously doubt this problem is going to be widespread or it would have been by now.

I agree overall that he was very civil (nice change from some of the complaint threads here) but did state he was out 75 bucks. That would tend to make me think he wasn't going to contact Tromix. My first course of action regardless of whether I did a thread revealing a problem would have been to get in touch with them.

I also seriously doubt this problem is going to be widespread or it would have been by now.

Well, if the OP wants to be out his $75 without attempting to get satisfaction from Tromix, then that's certainly his prerogative, and that choice doesn't alter the validity of sharing his experience here for the knowledge of the other members. Also, if he isn't going to contact Tony, then at least since he's a member here, he'll find out that there was a problem with one of his stocks. If it was something I'd sold, either way I would want to know it had failed rather than go on thinking everything is hunky dory, just because the customer is too annoyed to contact me directly. As a business owner you would always prefer for your customers to come directly to you with problems, but it isn't as though any of us have a right to expect that.

Sometimes people are just over it and it sounds like the OP is over it. However, if it was my stock that broke I would see about a replacement, post how that went (well, I expect), and sell the replacement if one was given. In essence, I would try to recoup my funds and buy a better stock when I had more money, be it from the same company or another.

Too bad that isn't something that could go Parcel Post. They have a very interesting stamp collection set aside for warranty stuff.

As stated previously in this thread, contact Tromix before you start posting. If after that, you are unsatisfied with the outcome, then take it to a public forum if you must. Do realize though, you will find yourself in the minority with your dissatisfaction with Tony's products.

My only question has been why hasn't anyone from Tromix made an appearance in this thread yet? It's not as if they aren't members here... just a simple "pm me" would probably have solved this issue before we all became enthralled with it...deadhorse.gif

• Like 3

I dont post much but i cant sit on the side line on this one. I own an S17 that i had a stock issue with the first run out of the box. I felt guilty as hell, and considering it was nearly a year and a half by the time i got the gun it did not make me feel any better. I debated what to do and debated posting here. CALL THE MAN! You got a shit storm brewing over nothing and you have not given him a chance.

I bought a tromix for one reason, because it is a tromix. If you have followed this platform from before it was popular you would know he is the pioneer of the platform. When he decideds to stop building guns again i will be proud to say i own one of his guns. To call it a cult following is laughable, you should check other builders prices.

Tony personaly called me at home one evening and we chatted about the stock. He expressed his displeasure in the situation and informed me that out of something like 10k stockes he has only had about a dozen break. There was inconsistency in the conditions they broke under, hince the reason for the change in material they are made of and he now has a better oportunity to control quality.

His customer service was second to none and he took care of the situation.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

As stated previously in this thread, contact Tromix before you start posting. If after that, you are unsatisfied with the outcome, then take it to a public forum if you must. Do realize though, you will find yourself in the minority with your dissatisfaction with Tony's products.

I disagree, I would like to know what works and what has issues hence the reason for participating on this forum. Tromix makes great stuff, I think most would agree but hey in every batch there can be a bad one. Im sure few business members on here would prefer the information be made public regardless of whether the customer contacts them or not....

Edited by Molotov Cocktail
  • Like 1