Hi guys, maybe you can help me out with something. I know all about high temp spray can paint and auto engine paint on firearms, but I know nothing about Gunkote or Moly resin or whatever else is considered to be a better finish for a rifle.

Im almost finished putting together a new reciever for my AMD, I just bought a mil surp rifle that also needs to be refinished and I was considering useing a satin Gunkote finish because its so nice. Then vjor sent me a few mags that were finished in Moly resin (I think) and I really liked the finish on them too.

I could use some opinions from you guys that have used better finishes. What kind of cost comparison can I expect? Im ok with baking the finish, I have an old convection oven in my shop that I used to bake powder coat. Im thinking of trying powder coat too. I dunno, give me some good pro's and con's on what I can use and what looks good and holds up well.

Thanks!

Bro, those mags were quick sand blast and black phosphate

no molly or anything else, just plain black zinc Phosphate

well they were cure to get the phosphate to get black and no grey.

The rich dark black is because the zinc phosphate gives you

a rough finish like every phosphate will give you

manganese will give a rougher finish but I cant

make it black.

Here something to start you in the way of the phophate finish .

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/note...rk/pagepark.htm

By the way those mags are not the best finish I have done on phosphate

have to see a nice shotgun or rifle.

Any questions give a buzz, by the way regular phophate come out grey

but you can make it black if you need the info give me anothe buzz.

by the way phosphate one gallon concentrated, makes 5 galons

about 20 rifles about 40 bucks, blackening solution

about 20 to 30 bucks make about 100 guns or more

and acid about 4 bucks at home depot.

hey you can phosphate from guns to tools and anything else you may have in mind,

plus is the best bonding agent that I have found for any paint job on metal.

Edited by vjor

Really?! cool! never had the chance to work with the stuff. I like it. It feels nice and grippy, and looks great! You say its very durable huh? Im gonna look into this stuff, I might send you a PM with some questions...Thanks vjor!

Now Im confused...Whats Moly Resin? Bravo, can you post a pic, or does it just look like black paint? Does Gunkote sell it in a rattle can?

Oh sweet! Thanks for the links....I understand much better now. They mix like urothane paint but use a bonding agent and get baked to cure. A bit on the expensive side of the paint scale, but looks like a finish that will last forever. Nice! I thought I recognized that Duracoat from somewhere. Thats the coating that the hardcore drag car builders are useing on everything.

Im going to play around with this stuff a little bit. Looks like good stuff. Ive been useing enamels, urothanes and acrylic laquers. They look nice too, but bore cleaner eats 'em up quick! And they scratch and wear just like a car door. I guess if your going to finish a rifle, you might as well do it right the first time.

Thanks vjor!

The only one I've used is Semi Gloss Black Molly Resin. It has to be baked at 350 deg to cure, but when it does it's rock hard, also has a silicone base to it that gives it a self lubricating quality. The only thing that I don't like about this product is that it has stainless steel dust in the mixture that gives it a slight greyish black

look, rather than the "black" black that Saiga's come with. I didn't dislike it enough to keep me from buying it a second time for my S12. Like vjor stated, you want to be make sure you degrease the shit out of it before refinishing parts. I washed mine down with MEK, then hit it again with MEK through my spray gun before shooting it with color. Also used my halogen shop lights to heat the parts up as I shot them, it gets the color to flash quickly and you can never have enough light when your painting in my opinion.

Nice job vjor. Im going to look into phosphate coating before I start the finish on my rifles. Your right, the right way is NOT the easy way. Ive never seen an AK pro. finished before, I think it would be cool. In my opinion, all of my rifles are worth it, because I love them. :wub:

I never saw a "how to" done this well with an accent before, your amazing vjor! Thanks man. :lolol: