Vepr-12 Experience

post-32793-0-57076700-1352582069_thumb.jpg

Finally got to go and stretch her legs a bit today with 120 shells. Picked up the bulk Federal pack from Walmart for 23 bucks, and it ate everything I fed it.

The very first round I fired I had a FTE because I limp shouldered the Shotgun. After stiffening up a tad I didnt have anymore issues. I did notice that with this shitty walmart ammo, it did not sling the shells like it did with the full power Hornady loads I put through it. I ran a mix of the 100 rd pack and the Hornady shells and didnt have any cycling problems at all. There were 2 instances where the bolt failed to stay open on the last round, but I chock that up to the ammo, as it was just enough to cycle the action based on the ejection of the shells. Likely a difference in powder charge of the weaker rounds, and not allowing the carrier to move fully rearward. Dont know, but dont really care. It was fun as fuck.

I had a blast and destroyed many tree limbs and other odd ball items I humped down into the holler. Recoil wasnt that bad at all, and was actually about as mild as my Mossy 500 with a knox recoil stock, and will be reduced further once I get a good muzzle brake on her.

I didnt experience my dust cover poping up on its own like others have. Im going to try the winchester cheap shit next time and see how that goes.

• Like 8

Nice lol. I can't stop finger banging mine!

Me too lol.

Prolly my favorite purchase I've made all year. First thing I'm doing to it though is finding some plum RPK furniture and putting a plum stock on it from KVAR to match my SGL. Def. worth the wait IMO.

• Like 1

Nice lol. I can't stop finger banging mine!

Me too lol.

Prolly my favorite purchase I've made all year. First thing I'm doing to it though is finding some plum RPK furniture and putting a plum stock on it from KVAR to match my SGL. Def. worth the wait IMO.

+1 to that.

I hope someone brings out a drum , soon

+2 to that. Hell ya.

• Like 1

I'm having mixed emotions with mine. Looks and runs great, but it is going to be a real PITA to do what I want to do with them. I'm still in evl planning stage.

Edited by evlblkwpnz
  • Like 2

me and my buddy ran about 350 rounds thru his vepr 12 and the only fte were from the cheap 9 shot remington bird shot, but from 7 1/2 ,8 birdshot shot very good with no problems.we tried slugs, 00 buck and also rio 00 buch shots and it shot great .recoil was low but when you good buck shot you will notice the diffrence.

me and my buddy ran about 350 rounds thru his vepr 12 and the only fte were from the cheap 9 shot remington bird shot, but from 7 1/2 ,8 birdshot shot very good with no problems.we tried slugs, 00 buck and also rio 00 buch shots and it shot great .recoil was low but when you good buck shot you will notice the diffrence.

I wanted to run some 3" magnum slugs I have but didnt because Im a horder and a broke ho' and wont be able to pick up replacements for a few weeks and 3" shells around here are pretty scarce at the moment. I havent tried the #9 yet, but I hope to try it all before christmas. And I did notice a bit of difference in recoil with the Hornady Superformance and CD buckshot.

God I can'i wait to get mine...I'm looking forward to shooting skeet and watching the local snobs get there panties all bunched up. I live near SF so this thing is going to look loads different than the usual Citori and Parazzi at the range I frequent. Maybe I'll wear tie-dye so a few of their heads explode.

• Like 2

God I can'i wait to get mine...I'm looking forward to shooting skeet and watching the local snobs get there panties all bunched up. I live near SF so this thing is going to look loads different than the usual Citori and Parazzi at the range I frequent. Maybe I'll wear tie-dye so a few of their heads explode.

This post is great!

There were 2 instances where the bolt failed to stay open on the last round, but I chock that up to the ammo, as it was just enough to cycle the action based on the ejection of the shells. Likely a difference in powder charge of the weaker rounds, and not allowing the carrier to move fully rearward.

Check the position of your finger. Especially if you use gloves.

post-37397-0-84545300-1352836943_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I didnt think about that. At the moment, mine is a little stiff to get it to release, but I still could have easily hit that under recoil and not even noticed it. Thanks for the tip Sergii.

When a finger is pressed, it does not give the button to get out. Because of this bolt carrier does not stop ..

Well after taking an empty mag and putting your trigger finger in the way of the bolt hold open release, I pulled the charging handle back and the bolt did not stay open. I expected a bit more tension against my finger with the release, but its easy to see why the bolt didnt stay open on the last round now. Thanks Sergii. Im almost positive thats why this happend.

Congrats on the new shotty hero. now you can keep up with me shooting shells.haha.gif

The newness will wear off after a few 100 rounds, then you will do mods on it,

make it "yours", you will shoot it a bit more to get that newness off. after that

it will only come out and be shot every now and then, ya know, like every weekend!bad_smile.gif

• Like 1

I know it was Saiga Related - but what about the bolt stop wearing out quickly as well, check for wear?

I suppose this could happen over time, but dont see it happening any time soon. If I had to guess, one would have to use the shit out of it to the point that it wears out the stop. And I would say you'd have to use the release to wear it out, as pulling the charging handle back is bypassing the contact area as opposed to using the release.

Congrats on the new shotty hero. now you can keep up with me shooting shells.haha.gif

The newness will wear off after a few 100 rounds, then you will do mods on it,

make it "yours", you will shoot it a bit more to get that newness off. after that

it will only come out and be shot every now and then, ya know, like every weekend!bad_smile.gif

Thanks Red. When we went shooting the last time, your S12 is what sold me on the 12 gauge AK. I was always a bit hesitant about getting one, but I loved yours, and had to have one. Im glad I decided on the Vepr. I feel it was worth the wait. Next time we get together and sling some led, I'll make sure you get a chance to send some buckshot downrange with the Vepr. I know that you reload, so I'll be saving my hulls for ya. And it will take me a while to catch up with your ass bro. lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Ytd I got to take my Vepr out to the range, this is the first time I've shot any rifle or shotgun.

The Vepr made some holes in the targets, a few black and blue marks and sore shoulders. It kicks like a mule with the rifled slugs. Many "stovepipes" in the first 50 rounds, but not a one afterward. The mag fell out about 10 times during shooting. Again all within the first 50 rounds. What impressed me was the slug was dead on for 50yds. It hit where it was aimed. I ran out of slugs so couldn't extend the target. I only have a 5 round mag and it will empty in a amazing short time. I still think I need a scope to hit anything past 50 yds, I can hardly even see the target.

All in all, I got the first 75 rounds thru it. Its already running better. It was a lot of fun. I need a scope and a bigger mag.

• Like 1

Done that with my IZ-108. It's fun. The range master was pretty complimentary to a special edition citori a guy in my group had, and very hostile to me. He demanded to see my gun and handed it back almost instantly. I looked up the weight on the citori and it was within two ounces of my gun with an 8 round mag. Pretty much everyone else there was interested, but largely dismissive. They'd seen people show up with noob conversions that didn't run with UTG rails, t-6, and promag drum. I think the classy furniture makes a difference in what that scene is open to.

• Like 1

^took my iz109 to a trap and skeet range :(..... Yeah they first told me I couldn't shoot an assault rifle on the range >=[ after I convinced them it was a shotgun, they still didn't want me to shoot because it was semiautomatic. Then after I was finally able to shoot they only let me load two shells in my 12 smg mags !!! I couldn't load more shells because I would take the "sport" out of the game. Wtf I just wanted to have a lil fun. On top of that they were makin fun of the sights and sight radius being to short and I wouldn't be able hit anything. They quickly shut up after I blasted two plates with my #2 high velocity shells. We ended up leaving to a mountain road walked out to the side of the road and quickly dumped 200 rounds in less than 20 minutes....