Brass Ammo in .223?

It runs good i atleast have had 500+ through mine no jams, nothing only thing is it will ding the cases upon ejection. If you reload thats kind of it for brass cases it puts a good dent in them. ive shot Federal tactical, Federal Tracers, Federal XM855s, Federal XM193, PMC M193 the 193s are good but seems to be alittle to much pop...huge flash which looks cool, and they are really loud...my 2 cents of the matter.

Is the brass ammo more susceptible to slam fires than the steel ammo?

I have heard the Saiga has a firing pin that floats freely in the bolt (no spring) and that the firing pin lightly strikes the primer when the bolt goes into battery before the trigger is pulled.

Berdan-primed ammo is made to withstand the light strikes without firing, but I have heard that this is not true for Boxer-primed ammo.

It seems that Boxer-primed ammo might fire from light strikes. It seems the ammo is designed for rifles that have spring-loaded firing pins that do not lightly strike the primer when the bolt goes into battery.

The firing pin is spring-loaded, and will launch across the room with considerable force if released thoughtlessly.

Part of the appeal of Saigas is that they do not seem to be very picky eaters. Feed it anything and don't worry about it. I have heard that it is a bad idea to use both steel and brass in one sitting with a variety of explanations for why this is bad, but I have broken that rule with Saigas and not noticed any problems.

The firing pins on the two Saiga 5.45x39s that I have float freely in the bolts. I have heard this is how all Saigas/AKs are made.

I think it is probably well known that firing pins in Saiga/AK rifles strike the primers lightly going into battery and that firing pins in American rifles do not.

Here is a related post on the issue: http://forum.saiga-1...spring-tension/

Edited by tbryanh

The firing pins on the two Saiga 5.45x39s that I have float freely in the bolts. I have heard this is how all Saigas are made.

I think it is probably well known that firing pins in Saiga/AK rifles strike the primers lightly going into battery and that firing pins in American rifles do not.

I had it apart to clean it a minute before I posted that, and on my honor the firing pin of my 09 Saiga .223 is spring-loaded. It really is under a lot of pressure too; there's some kind of long washer in there to ensure that the spring around the firing pin is squeezed way down just waiting to fly across the room. My guess is that the manufacturers assumed we'd try to use brass-cased ammo in .223s and the Russians didn't want to deal with lawyer-happy Americans suing them, hence firing pin springs in Saiga .223s.

The firing pins on the two Saiga 5.45x39s that I have float freely in the bolts. I have heard this is how all Saigas are made.

I had it apart to clean it a minute before I posted that, and on my honor the firing pin of my 09 Saiga .223 is spring-loaded. It really is under a lot of pressure too; there's some kind of long washer in there to ensure that the spring around the firing pin is squeezed way down just waiting to fly across the room. My guess is that the manufacturers assumed we'd try to use brass-cased ammo in .223s and the Russians didn't want to deal with lawyer-happy Americans suing them, hence firing pin springs in Saiga .223s.

Sounds good. I need to check out one of those Saigas in .223. Edited by tbryanh
  • 2 weeks later...

My 223 is spring loaded. My 5.45 is not. The Commie Block cartridges have the hard primers so there is no need for a spring loaded firing pin. American cartridges like the 223 use soft primers, so the spring helps to keep you from getting slam fires.