I have done the basic internet search on this type of rifle, but I have Zero experience with them. A friend of the Bro-in-law, has had it laying aroung for quite a while. I was first his Grandfathers gun, then his Dads , now his. Looks like it was never cleaned very well and has obvoiusly been sitting for a while. Really dirty. Heck, I don't even know how long it has been since it was last fired.

Anyway, being that I am "The Gun Guy", He offered it for sale. It is kinda cool and weird, but is it worth having in the collection? It is a 30-40 cal rifle. (???)

Anyone with first hand experience with these?? All input is welcome before I "Pull the trigger" on this one. No real price has been made, because he also knows nothing about it and has never shot it himself. I think it will be pretty cheap, but I want it to be fair for both of us. Also, it is from 1901

post-16191-0-36131900-1352601816_thumb.jpgpost-16191-0-98799300-1352601835_thumb.jpgpost-16191-0-18191200-1352601855_thumb.jpg

Edited by RobRez
  • Like 2

I like milsurps, hell, I've a C&R. But I'm not the least bit interested in a Springfield Arms 1899 Krag-Jorgensen rifle.

Free or for dirt cheap, e.g. <$50.00, sure why not, otherwise, screw it.

Also, form what I've heard, ammo is expensive, averaging a $ a round or more.

One good thing about them is they are regarded as having one of the smoothest bolt actions ever.

And they are known for being accurate.

Just my $0.02

I just cleaned out the super dirty barrel. Came clean quick, and the bore looks pretty darn good. I figured I would need to clean it for proper inspection anyway.

It seems to be correct and un-modified in any way.

Man I would love to have that, the carbine version is pretty rare.

The 30-40 Krag cartridge is the grandfather to the 30-06 Springfield cartridge, it is a "modern" smokeless powder cartridge that came about at the end of the black powder days and they where still using the old naming system. That is, a 30 caliber bullet over a 40 gr powder charge, the same way a 45-70 is a 45 caliber bullet over a 70 gr powder charge. Only in the case of the 30-40 Krag it was an early smokeless powder whereas the 45-70 used the holy black.

Reloading for the 30-40 is as inexpensive as reloading for the 30-06 can be once you have the dies and brass.

Don't be temped to load and fire 30-06 ammo, although the cases are related the Krag is a rimmed case and the neck is slightly longer then the 30-06. The 30-06 also operates at much higher pressure the does the Krag.

• Like 1

I imagine that if I do get this rifle, I will reload for it. With a price of at least $30 for 20 rounds, reloading would pay off, if it shoots.

I don't have any problem shooting a 112 year old rifle......as long as it is in good working order.

I enjoy keeping old stuff alive and working. I would have to shoot it every once in a while though. No safe queens or wall-hangers fer me! Everyone goes to the range in this gun family!!

I think it would be nice to have it still harvesting game, as the old Mosin proves to be a bit long due to it shooting best w/bayonett attached.

• Like 1

Well, I got the rifle. Gonna clean it up well, then take it to the gunsmith for the "Once-over". It does not extract the shells presently. I got an OK deal on it. We will see what the gunsmith costs though.

I had mine looked at just in case as well. It is after all, a rifle that is over 100 years old. Mine is a 1898. The sights do suck on it though. Great heirloom to have though. Mine was issued to my Great Grandfather by the FBI in the 1930s because of all the bank heists going on. He owned a tavern across the street from a bank in a small town. The lady next door ran the Post Office. She got a 1911. FBI told them in case of bank robbery, shoot first, call the cops later as the law was spread so thin back in that time. Have fun with it!

Well, it shot well on Sunday. I will need more ammo before I can adjust the sights. It was pretty mild recoil, but the shock wave from the blast will shake your chest a bit!! Big Kaboom factor. @ 25yards it was on the button, but I had issues with it shooting off to the right, and high @ 100 yards. I didn't want to use all 20 rounds in 1 day. Gotta have at least a few rounds for it!

Very fun to shoot! Took out the 1943 Mosin Nagant and got my typical 2" group @ 100yds.