Gettin' Lucky!

Gents, I have to confess that I've looked at this site for years and am a member of many other forums, but just realized last night that for whatever reason I hadn't joined this one. So, I guess this serves as my 'newbie' intro post!

Anyhow, I was hanging out with my dog, watching the media talk about the world ending and all while enjoying being on leave and decided that it was time to go to the gun shop. Apparently, I heard the siren's call from a Saiga .223 on their hidden used rack. I've got a few AK's, even just sold a nice converted Saiga in 7.62 to a buddy chastising me for owning all of the guns and not sharing. Yes, I regret that now.

This Saiga .223 is unconverted and I've never monkeyed with AK's in .223 before. The kicker though was the price, as this ugly duck was only 275 bucks! It's in 90+% condition with no real obvious flaws. They knocked another five bucks off of it for me just because I may as well have a buy 10 get one free card there.

I had a buddy with a Romanian AK in .223 that was dreadfully unreliable. I know that Saigas are good guns though, so I'll be searching on here about some options for conversion, as well as putting one of those MSA mag adapters on there for my P Mags. That's actually what got me very excited about this rifle today when searching this forum. In the interim, I guess I'll just use the cheesy one supplied by the factory. Unfortunately I'm deploying again soon (hope I even have time to shoot the damn thing) so will have to rock back and forth anxiously for almost a year until I can begin the project!

Just wanted to say hey and let people know that deals are still out there, but sometimes it's just being in the right place and the right time, and other times it's hardcore gun shop & internet scavenger hunting...

Edited by KiowaScout

Welcome to the forum. You got a good price for the Saiga in the current market. A little black paint it'll look 100%. Lots of options to go with converting or keeping it as imported. Lots of great guys here to help.

What year was it built? That will help determine if you got the newer or older barrel diameter should you decide to thread it for a muzzle break.

Welcome to the forum. You got a good price for the Saiga in the current market. A little black paint it'll look 100%. Lots of options to go with converting or keeping it as imported. Lots of great guys here to help.

What year was it built? That will help determine if you got the newer or older barrel diameter should you decide to thread it for a muzzle break.

For the year of build we just need the first letter (for the month) and then the next 2 digits of the SN (for the year)..

H08XXXXX would be August 08..

Thanks guys. I'm not one to freak out at cosmetic blemishes or missing paint and scratches. *Most of my guns are tools to me. That's also why I didn't get assed up, but am curious, about a giant rectangle of marring above the trigger & behind the safety lever. It's very organized destruction which I at first mistook for velcro or something and then realized that the receiver has been ground in three neat lines to form a rectangle. So, I guess my question is, why? I saw another Saiga, converted, with the same thing? (I'd post a pic but haven't figured that process out yet)

As far as the manufacture date utilizing the serial, I have H09, so I assume mine is August 09 then? I would like to thread it, and have even considered bullpupping it simply because I want a short 223 without having to go through the pain of an SBR and I've always wanted some kind of bull pup. We'll see on that though. If I don't, then I'll still be down to do all kinds of fun conversions and things to it.

Edited by KiowaScout

The "velcro" marking is where importers changed mid stream and the "old" importers name was etched out. Do a search here on velcro to get up to speed on this. Some (including me) have successfully removed it.

Others can live with it and consider it a survival match striker.

Thanks guys. I'm not one to freak out at cosmetic blemishes or missing paint and scratches. *Most of my guns are tools to me. That's also why I didn't get assed up, but am curious, about a giant rectangle of marring above the trigger & behind the safety lever. It's very organized destruction which I at first mistook for velcro or something and then realized that the receiver has been ground in three neat lines to form a rectangle. So, I guess my question is, why? I saw another Saiga, converted, with the same thing? (I'd post a pic but haven't figured that process out yet)

As far as the manufacture date utilizing the serial, I have H09, so I assume mine is August 09 then? I would like to thread it, and have even considered bullpupping it simply because I want a short 223 without having to go through the pain of an SBR and I've always wanted some kind of bull pup. We'll see on that though. If I don't, then I'll still be down to do all kinds of fun conversions and things to it.

Yep you have one the newer builds. Standard 14x1 LH threading for that barrel. The Kushnapup might be something you should consider. Several guys here have reviews and tips on them just do a quick search. Probably the easiest bull pup design for Saiga owners with unconverted guns.

The "velcro" marking is where importers changed mid stream and the "old" importers name was etched out. Do a search here on velcro to get up to speed on this. Some (including me) have successfully removed it.

Others can live with it and consider it a survival match striker.

Ha, survival match striker is perfect and that's what it's going to remain as. Actually, I'm an ALSE dude with the Army so I know that I'm actually going to try it.

liberty-r-death- Thanks for the info on the threading and the bullpup lead. I'll have to check on that.

I've got to be careful; I've been on this forum for hours and it's already beginning to warp my budget considerably with all of the cool pictures and ideas out there. I'm starting with a $270 Saiga and I'm going to end up spending probably close to a grand on it, then I found the VEPR or Saiga 12 dilema, then I found... damn. cool.png

• Like 2

You've got the sickness. The only treatment seems to be buying more Saiga's and Vepr's. There is no cure for this disease. With Barry getting re-elected it's likely to get worse, and may lead to stockpiling ammo as well.

I personally like the match striker, and think someday it will be collectable, but I'm probably in the minority on that one.

By the way. Thanks for your service brother. I'll be retiring next September with 21 years if all stays as planned.

Welcome to the Forum, KiowaScout and thank you for your service.

You, Fly Boys, are doing one hell of the job!

Stay safe and rain hell, Brother.

Speaking of Saiga .223 upgrading and AR mags compatibility: you're at the right place: just scan the page one of .223 Forum to start with (and to realize that there is no such thing as "budget": that's Gov'ment term; we use credit cards, lol).

Seriously, wealth of information available.

Run search and you'll find everything you're looking for.

From budget conversion around hundred bucks to entering "four digits" territory: hopefully, your fiscal discipline is better than DC's.

Have fun, ask questions and share your conversion experience.

LOL. The sickness, it sets in deep and fast. You don't even know it till it's bone deep and to late.

I got a 223 project going now that's..... Well I can't call it a money pit, but it's working out to be an expensive, twisted, totally one off piece.

When it comes to standard, straight up converstions...... I got off that boat long ago.

You score good on the Saiga. Enjoy and Godspeed.

Thank y'all for the diagnosis, I think it's accurate.

I got the wife last night with the AK shotgun desire, and couldn't believe her positive response. I had to dog on my ol Rem 870, but I'm sure it doesn't mind too much. Now I just gotta decide which 12 to get and go visit that sub-forum. Now I've already got TWO projects, and I haven't even began to plan covering my stupid loss on the other Saiga 7.62 I sold.

In the exasperated words of Charlie Brown, "Oh, Good grief..... "