Unmarked country of origin Quad Rail

What does 922r say about parts that are unmarked with the country of origin?

I bought this Quad off of Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/...ME:L:OU:US:3160

Contacted the seller concerning country of origin.....cut and pasted his response directly from email.....

"this one is made here 80% all machining and finish is done here so it is concidered usa made but it is not 922 compliant where there is no markings on the unit at all (we do not have an engraver yet)that is why we don't say is becouse the 922 compliance it has to be marked on every piece and we dont want to confuse anyone where 922 compliance is involved"

If the key wording is there is no markings can I engrave it myself?

It's just worth 1 compliant part, but I'm just curious about the laws and maybe someone else has come across this before?

The requirement is where it is made, not how it is labeled.The markings are just evidence.

If there were ever to be an issue, I believe they would have the burden of proving that it was not USA made. Any thing that would show one way or another is evidence. I would think that tracking down the maker and getting a statement from them would be pretty good evidence.

I'd be a little skeptical about that guy's statements and find the actual manufacturer for info.

I had same question about a stock I bought.

Contacted manufacturer and they wrote back that because no other item that they are aware of is being made they don't mark them.

They offered to refund if i had issue.

Don't know who has burden of proof but I know how to contact manufacturer. Just in case.

I have an ATI stock that the box is marked made in USA, but has no markings on the stock. Just kept the box. I just lost my mind about a tapco saw style grip I got that was'nt in a package that the vender had listed as 922r compliant made in USA. Grip only says cage code and a number on it, and tapco.com on the trap door. I found a thread that Tapco uses a manufacturer that marks them like that, but with no package I would have to send anyone to that vender with my reciept that does'nt even say it's a Tapco. It just says SAW style grip.I read it is up to you to prove where your 922r parts came from. The only reason I used the vender was he had AK, non saiga parts I needed and was recomended on another forum. Last time. No package and shady markings on what is supossed to be a even though some call it shitty Tapco part. Not like it was cheaper than anywhere else either. I used the grip on a rifle that did'nt need the 922r part. As far as yout rail . I would not engrave it myself. maybe print the email and keep it with the reciept.

Edited by rnemhrd

Thanks memhrd.

I'm not going to engrave it. I can not even read my own writing!

"they would have the burden of proving that it was not USA made"

And cover you butt with all reciepts....what a bitch, I hate paper work.

Thanks Men.

Semper Fi

Edited by cvowen

If you know any machinists see if they have a set of stamps, you could just stamp "USA" into it somewhere. You can probably buy a set of cheap ones from harbor freight that would work. OH WAIT if you stamp it with foreign made stamps then the markings are not 922R compliant! AHHHHH just kidding the stamps would work, use a piece of masking tape to help line them up and a small hammer aluminum is soft so it doesnt take a lot to mark it.

Funny that they don't mark them, the small stamp is like $40 and if you want to get fancy you can get a low mile air powered marking set for less than $1000.

We just use the hand stamp in a fixture. If I can't mark 1000+ parts an hour, I'm not trying.

Don't know where the product is from but I'm happy. Cost was good and bolted up easy. Big deal.

1rst time conversion for me and will upgrade parts as needed later.

I went cheap to spend more money on bullets....cheap bastard I am.

That does make me wonder, I went to a gun show over the weekend and a guy there had a whole table of optics, picaatiiny rails, sights quad rails etc. ALL made in china, maybe that is why they werent marked. I used to work for a company that started buying cheap Chinese product and repackaging it then selling it along with their American made products. Though they never stated that that the Chinese product was American made many people assumed it was and they did NOT label it as made in china!

• 2 weeks later...

Take it to a jeweler and have them engrave the initials of a company that doesn't even exist. Good luck, ATF..

Any agent that actually wastes their time enforcing this bs law is a fking tool of the highest order, probably recruited right out of college, with no street cop experience to speak of.

Edited by S12KS-K

It's an interesting question I've been curious about myself, as I've fabricated many of my own parts including gas pucks, pistons and foregrips. I just stamp USA on mine with a hand punch, I keep some hand drawn blue prints for reference, though I can't honestly imagine ever needing them for anything other than quick reference should I decied to build another.

• 1 month later...
Take it to a jeweler and have them engrave the initials of a company that doesn't even exist. Good luck, ATF..

Since a jeweler probably has no idea about 922r, I'm sure they won't think twice.

The only thing I want to do with my jeweler is engrave "...From My Cold, Dead Hands." across the barrel of my S12.