223 mags?

Dinzag's article "Saiga .223 Magazine Options" (http://www.dinzagarms.com/downloads/223_mag_options.pdf) does say filing the mags (Hybrid Configuration) is the best option.

According to the article, modifying the latch in the rifle (Military Configuration) should make milsurp mags fit well. However, it might be that modifying the latch to fit SGM mags might cause milsurp mags to fit loosely. If it is desired to modify the rifle, the best procedure might be to modify the latch so that milsurp mags fit snug, then if the SGM mags still won't fit, file them till they fit.

Here is a response to an email from Dinzag on the issue:

The mag catch on the rifle is fine as-is for the 223's. On those the bottom trunnion lugs are thicker and need to me machined to give more clearance for the top of the front of the feed lips on magazine. If you have access to a milling machine or know someone who does, you can mod the rifle to take standard 223 AK magazines. You can attempt to click in a mag and see where it rubs. Mill away 0.010" at a time until it clicks in.

The 7.62x39 you have to modify the rear mag catch and no trunnion work. Drop in a guide and it will run any 7.62x39 AK magazine.

The 5.45x39 requires no mods to the mags or rifle. They will use standard AK74 magazines with a bullet guide installed.

Edited by tbryanh
This youtube video shows a person filing a surefire mag to make it fit in the Saiga. Is it typical to need to do this?

Boy! Am I glad I caught this thread. I'm just about to order some 30 round Saiga specific SGM mags for my unconverted, and never to be converted, Saiga 223. I would have futzed around and got all frustrated thinking I ordered the wrong mags, or they sent me the wrong mags. Now I know that they'll probably need just a wee bit of filing to get them to fit. I'm also buying a Tapco Intrafuse hand guard from one of our members to be 922 compliant.

Don <><

Edited by genesis5521

I also use, and love SGM mags. Yes, ALL of mine had to be filed as well. I don't mind that, as now ALL of them fit perfect. However... I do question their ruggedness. I've yet to hear any complaints about them, but I can't imagine they'd fare any better than Tapco's in a drop test (not good). I'm still (impatiently) waiting for steel S223 mags from CSS. Sure, circle 10's are tough.. (and $32+) ... but I'd rather run steel in my S223, same as my M10 x39! Enough poly already... show me some STEEL!

Using AK74 mags in a 223 rifle could be illegal. A 10 round AK74 mag holds 11 rounds of 223 ammo. It would be a felony in California, for example, to insert a 10 round AK74 mag into a 223 rifle. Doing this would also trigger 922r compliance requirements.

Edited by tbryanh

I also use, and love SGM mags. Yes, ALL of mine had to be filed as well. I don't mind that, as now ALL of them fit perfect. However... I do question their ruggedness. I've yet to hear any complaints about them, but I can't imagine they'd fare any better than Tapco's in a drop test (not good). I'm still (impatiently) waiting for steel S223 mags from CSS. Sure, circle 10's are tough.. (and $32+) ... but I'd rather run steel in my S223, same as my M10 x39! Enough poly already... show me some STEEL!

Do you mean Csspecs instead of CSS? Or is CSS getting steel 223 mags?

Do you mean Csspecs instead of CSS? Or is CSS getting steel 223 mags?

Yeah, sorry.. Csspecs. I know it's on their list... but have not heard any word on prototypes or anything yet.

The 5.45 mags will work and feed all 30 rds if done properly. The magazine feedlips need to be modified for the .223 cartridge. This is a bit of work with a milling machine or a dremil if you have a steady hand. You would also need to add a Robinson Arms follower ,these cause the .223 round to sit higher in the 5.45 magazine to prevent nosedives into the chamber.

These conversions were a option at a time when .223 AK mags were hard to get in this country back during the 94' ban and 5.45 mags were dirt cheap and everywhere. The conversions that alot of people are familiar with are thise done by Century for the SAR3 series. the machine work was done to the bodies and done well and the floorplates were engraved with .223 on them, but they DID NOT add the follower that raises the .223 round and these mags did not function very well. Most would function with only a few rounds loaded, like the magazine in the video.

Today with the cost of 5.45 and .223 AK mags available at pretty much the same $, this is not a good option. The followers from RA are not available anymore.

If anyone has any I am looking for a few to finish up what Century started on a few 5.45 mags that do not function. I need some RA followers to get these mags up and running.

They do work ,but are not worth the hassle.

The SGMs I recently ordered for my Saiga 223 just arrived. They fit snug and are harder to insert than the stock Saiga mag. I don't see a need to modify the mags at this point. I probably will be going to the range in a few weeks and will try them out then.

Edited by tbryanh

I noticed the SGM mags click-in easier when the followers are removed.

That's because they are "last round bolt hold open" followers. They press against the bolt when inserting, so they require extra force to snap them in. It's very important, when fitting them, to hold the bolt open when inserting them so you're judging on just the mag catch and not the follower resistance.

The SGMs I recently ordered for my Saiga 223 just arrived. They fit snug and are harder to insert than the stock Saiga mag. I don't see a need to modify the mags at this point. I probably will be going to the range in a few weeks and will try them out then.

Same here. I just received my 30 round Sure Fire mags for my unconverted Saiga 223 Sporter. They fit tight, but they fit. I don't see any need to file on them at this point.

Don <><