Fb Hand guard

I ordered a hand guard from Center fire systems last week and it hasn't shipped out so I called them today and the said they were missing parts. They wouldn't say when they would be shipping, so I'm wondering if anyone has the inside scoop on when these will be ready to ship. I really don't want to wait another month or two for a handgaurd. These were sappose to be ready in August, so I kinda have a feeling it's going to be awhile again.

Thank,

Bryan

My order with Centerfire for the handguard has been backordered for 2 months (ordered 9/14). Everytime I call I get a different story. I called Jim at Firebird and he told me he sent enough to cover all the backorders. Centerfire says he didn`t. Jim said he would check on it and call me back. Haven`t heard back from Jim yet. Strange that Cajon409 got his.

My handguard came in Monday. I LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!

Ok solved problem.

Someone at Centerfire was in error thinking that the accessory right side rail was supposed to be on the handguard.

It is not...its an accessory you can add if you need it.

Orders will now be filled.

Jim

Hey Jim, is a little side to side wobble normal for these handguards? Its fine if its supposed to be like that, doesnt bother me at all. But if it isnt 'sposed to, I'd want to get on towards fixing it. I tightened the retention nut and everything so maybe I'm supposed to tighten some other things as well?

So for shits and grins I called centerfire again today to see when it would ship and the guy said the same thing. "They are missing parts and don't know when the parts are comming in."

Its to bad I can't buy one of those nice FB handgaurds from someone else for that price...

I don't think everyone is on the same page yet...............

Thats what i was thinking so i asked the guy if the "missing parts" was a side rail. he said, yea. so i said, i dont think those come with it. he said, when you buy them from us they do. he then said, the rails were coming from a different manufacturer...

so i dont know i guess ill cross my fingers

I had no idea Jim made two versions. I can't find pics of the long HG. What a great price at $199! Too bad CSS doesn't carry them yet, otherwise there would never have been an issue!

yea i didn know either. i cant remember were i read it (and it should be verified) you cant shoot heavy loads with the short one.

I had no idea Jim made two versions. I can't find pics of the long HG. What a great price at $199! Too bad CSS doesn't carry them yet, otherwise there would never have been an issue!

This is what the long HG looks like :3

CompletedMKA1919Firebird.jpg

The top of the barrel in the pic is pretty much where the barrel ends anyways, so it gives you a pretty good idea of how long the HG is. I believe the short version is 2/3 the length, maybe 1/2.

The long one says back ordered but the short one says now shipping 10/17. I ordered the short one since it is probably lighter - hopefully those are shipping now.

I had ordered mine 3-4 months ago, I called last Thursday and they said it would ship the next day, arriving on Monday. And mine did came with the bottom rail section, the side rail section on the right side, and just the charging handle on the left side.

yea i didn know either. i cant remember were i read it (and it should be verified) you cant shoot heavy loads with the short one.

I can confirm that the short version ONLY allows 2 3/4 shells, as it shortens the gas bypass system or something

EDIT: Jim confirmed in another thread that you cant shoot 3 inch magnum shells in the short version, but you can shoot any 2 3/4 shells

Edited by FoxHound

The short handguard was developed primarily for competition guns and was intended for low recoil ammunition

It eliminates the the gas bypass spring,cup and thumbnut.

The actual bypass piston is left in place but can not move forward to dump gas pressure.

This handguard is just under 9 inches long.

This system will shoot all 2.75" shells, but for the highest power 2.75" stuff it is best to use the heavy recoil spring.

The long handguard retains the gas bypass and can shoot the 3" shells.

It is about 10.5 inches long.

As with the stock system, low power shells do not work as well.

I hope this helps clear up the questions

Jim

The short handguard was developed primarily for competition guns and was intended for low recoil ammunition

It eliminates the the gas bypass spring,cup and thumbnut.

The actual bypass piston is left in place but can not move forward to dump gas pressure.

This handguard is just under 9 inches long.

This system will shoot all 2.75" shells, but for the highest power 2.75" stuff it is best to use the heavy recoil spring.

The long handguard retains the gas bypass and can shoot the 3" shells.

It is about 10.5 inches long.

As with the stock system, low power shells do not work as well.

I hope this helps clear up the questions

Jim

If I install a low power spring and a gas bushing with the long HG, you think that would work just as well with low power loads when compared to the short version?

Also, a little side to side wobble with the HG is normal right? With the magpul AFG, it doesnt matter much since I'm pulling the HG back and tight anyhow

The Tromix booster greatly reduces gas loss from the bypass, with a light spring as well, It would help quite a bit to get lower power stuff to run.

I went the other way, and use a completely different operating system because we never intend to shoot 3" or very heavy 2.75" shells.

If your handguard can move when locked down...check the dowel pin fit in the front of the upper.

As of late I have seen the pin hole vary in diameter.

And make sure the handguard retention nut and lock screw are secure

Jim

The Tromix booster greatly reduces gas loss from the bypass, with a light spring as well, It would help quite a bit to get lower power stuff to run.

I went the other way, and use a completely different operating system because we never intend to shoot 3" or very heavy 2.75" shells.

If your handguard can move when locked down...check the dowel pin fit in the front of the upper.

As of late I have seen the pin hole vary in diameter.

And make sure the handguard retention nut and lock screw are secure

Jim

Thanks for the info, I'll give it a try with some light loads

The pin fits but maybe the hole is a little bigger? I'll check it when I get home from work, but the handguard retention nut and lock screw in the nut are as tight as I can do it. The side to side wobble happens around the rear of the handguard near the pin, but it isnt much. We are talking millimeters of movement here

I was wondering if I was supposed to screw down the nut on the top rail a bit more so that it touches the barrel (like the factory front sight does) or something

EDIT: I got lazy, wrapped the dowel pin in a thin layer of teflon tape, and the wobble is gone lol

Edited by FoxHound