Muzzle Brake / Flash Suppressor on Vepr 7.62x54r ?

Thanks in advance for any help. I am buying both the 20 inch Barrel Vepr 7.62x54 and 308 rifles but only IF I can screw on & off Muzzle Brakes & or Flash Suppressors. The rifles I saw for sale apear to have a short " Thread Protector Muzzle Cap " on the end of each barrel so my Questions are:

1. The person selling it said the cap is "pinned on" how do I remove the pin and cap,is that very difficult ?

2. The cap seams to be short so are there enough Threads to hold on a Muzzle Brake & or Flash Suppressor, if not, what can I do ?

3. Where can I buy AK74 Looking Muzzle Brakes that would fit these Vepr 7.62x54 & or 308 barrel diameters and Threads, if not who sells Flash Hidders for these Vepr rifles with the thread protector caps?

4. If I can not just simply unscrew the cap and buy Muzzle Brakes specifically made for these Vepr rifles Threads, what all do I have to do to Make It Happen to get Muzzle Brakes & or Flash Hidders on these rifles, (buy threading die etc.) ?

Thanks Again in advance for any help to my questions or please feel free to interject some good points if I have missed anything.

If its threaded it will be 14Lx1 threading.. (standard AK 7.62 threading)..

Some companies now make 14lX1 hiders/brakes/comps.. Spikes does now to with the Dynacomp..

Just google up AK47 brake or AK flash hider.

The threading is adequate for this.. the threading may not be square so use of a suppressor/can may not work.. (as reported by another person on another forum).

To remove the CAP check the other VEPR sections on here.. its seems pretty simple..

There is about 9/16-5/8" of threading on most rifles I have seen.. which seems to be the 'norm' as most hiders/comps are drilled/tapped that deep.

Edited by YWHIC

Atakacorp, why would you "not do 14x1 on the 7.62x54r or the 308" ? So does that mean I have to cut new different threads on top of those existing threads ? I wanted to avoid having to cut new threads,that's why I waited to buy these new rifles becasue I was told "these new imports are already threaded from the factory so when the cap is removed, you can easily screw on a Muzzle Brake & or Flash Suppresor," is that not correct? I don't want to do anything that is not 100% safe.

I heard there is a Version One and a Version Two, what are the differneces ? I have not ordered the rifle yet. What are the pros and cons of Version one vs. Version two ? Should I get the rifle that does not have the factory threads with the end cap and buy the Thread Die and thread it myself ? If there is a reason to do it myself that makes it stronger or better, I don't mind taking the time to get it done right because I will keep this gun for ever so I want it to be the best. Thanks for any info.

Version 1 has the sights at the end of the barrel near the muzzle.. some from 2011 dates are not threaded, 2012 ones are threaded (suggested you call the retailer you want to buy from for handselect).. They also us the standard length gas tube and have sights that go from 100-1000m with windage.

I threaded my Ver 01 to 5/8-24R (standard AR10 threading size).. JP Cooley Comp on it..

UpdateHG2.jpg

Version 2 has the integrated gas block and front sight.. it has a gas tube about 1" longer than normal ones.. It also only has a 100 and 300m rear sight.. no windage feature and you cannot put a regular rear leaf on it, some report the TX Dog leg won't work either on it because of this.. They all are threaded with 14Lx1 (standard AK threading)..

Edited by YWHIC

Atakacorp, why would you "not do 14x1 on the 7.62x54r or the 308" ? So does that mean I have to cut new different threads on top of those existing threads ? I wanted to avoid having to cut new threads,that's why I waited to buy these new rifles becasue I was told "these new imports are already threaded from the factory so when the cap is removed, you can easily screw on a Muzzle Brake & or Flash Suppresor," is that not correct? I don't want to do anything that is not 100% safe.

Sorry , I thought we are talking about not threaded model

• 2 years later...