pinning muzzle and shortening barrel

Hokay, quick question.

I had to take my saiga apart to drill out and add a third port and I figured while the gun is apart I should get the barrel shortened and the muzzle pinned.

She is still in pieces and I was not sure what the process was to have that work done. Reason being is that if I save some cost due to less labor I should leave her apart. I contacted one gentlemen in MI about having it done but I have yet to hear back from him. Does anyone know of anyone else qualified to do this work?

I was thinking after I get this done I would then spray her down with HK-Black Duracoat and finally call this project done! :)

It is my understanding that in order to cut (to less than 18"), and pin a muzzle device to the barrel (to make it legal 18" length), it MUST be removed from the action. If you cut it down while still attached you are in violation of ATFE regulations.

It is my understanding that in order to cut (to less than 18"), and pin a muzzle device to the barrel (to make it legal 18" length), it MUST be removed from the action. If you cut it down while still attached you are in violation of ATFE regulations.

Yup, thats why I figured to see who was a CIIIFFL to have it done because in some interpretations the barrel is a direct components of the shotty and modification regardless of on or off would then be classified as SBR modification.

I figured was a safer than sorry situation.

Yup, that's why I figured to see who was a CIIIFFL to have it done because in some interpretations the barrel is a direct components of the shotty and modification regardless of on or off would then be classified as SBR modification.

I figured was a safer than sorry situation.

I understand the S12/Vepr12 barrel is safe to cut, and a muzzle device pinned, by anyone once it is off the action, because unlike a regular pump or semi-auto, it can not be put back on easily and used. But I agree with you that ANYTHING that is up to the ATFE to "interpret" is better left to use CAUTION!

it is perfectly legal to cut and attach without pulling the barrel. it is the same as any other gunsmithing you do. You must however perform the entire operation expeditiously. You cannot cut it and then decide to order the brake and solder. It must be perm attached in one sitting with cutting it.

• Like 2

it is perfectly legal to cut and attach without pulling the barrel. it is the same as any other gunsmithing you do. You must however perform the entire operation expeditiously. You cannot cut it and then decide to order the brake and solder. It must be perm attached in one sitting with cutting it.

I have a great respect for your lack of fear mongering. First Class.

Having said that, I always pull the barrel. Once the barrel is out, I have an excellent excuse to shorten the gas system. That's how I justify it to myself wink.png

post-22401-0-90377700-1353204443_thumb.jpg

Edited by evlblkwpnz

Voice of reason.

Thank you

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

So what is the legal and preferred method of pinning a Molot brake like on evlblkwpnz's gun? Since it is two pieces (aluminum body with a threaded steel insert) I assume those pieces would need to be locked together. My barrel now measures 23-3/4" from the locked bolt face to the end of the brake. I want to shorten the barrel 5-1/4" to bring it down to 18-1/2". The gun with folded stock will still be well over 26" so no concerns there.

The barrel on that one is actually 13.5" and perms to about 18 1/4" with the GK-01. I moved the gas system back 2.25" and used a port combo of 4 @ .078". I really wish I would have threaded the barrel internally for chokes before the perm, but didn't want to spend $300 for the ream and tap without knowing if it really needed it for my intended purpose. When I can "spare" $300, I will pull the barrel, internally thread, and re-perm it. That brake is going to be a bitch to remove because it is an interference fit and is blind pinned. Oh well, it will give me something to do....