Recoil Buffer?? Good or Not so Much

hey guys so i wanted to know if a recoil buffer could actually damage the rivets of the rear trunnion..my saiga is overgassed a bit and i already changed the recoil spring to a wolff extra power..it still was making metal to metal contact and i cant have that so i bought a black jack buffer..

Contact with the rear trunnion is normal. 99% of AKs out there have trunnion contact. The question is if the force of the contact is excessive or not. Since you have the extra power spring in there, I'd wager it isn't, but you'd have to check for peening/rolling around the bolt stem relief to be sure.

Contact with the rear trunnion is normal. 99% of AKs out there have trunnion contact. The question is if the force of the contact is excessive or not. Since you have the extra power spring in there, I'd wager it isn't, but you'd have to check for peening/rolling around the bolt stem relief to be sure.

yes it looks like after just a few hundred rounds its more than just contact its rollin the metal over a little bit..my main concern is having this recoil buffer in my gun and the buffer actually doing more damage than it would without the buffer..a lot of people are talking about rivets egging out with a recoil buffer but that doesnt make sense u would think it would protect your gun from violent metal to metal contact..

Eliminating recoil is like eliminating vibration in an engine, yes it is a good thing as long a it does not interfere with operations.

You know at one time there was great debate about using rubberized engine mounts to reduce vibration, all sorts of claims ensued about how it could destroy the engine.

Guess what your engine mounts look like now?

If you like them use if not dont. It is your rifle.

If you dont like the way your carrier slaps off the rear trunion, by all means get a buffer. I used a blackjack buffer while my saiga was unconverted and it worked pretty well. I would try one and see if your rifle still functions right. If the buffer breaks, black jack will replace it for free.

The buffer doesn't harm your gun in any way or eliminate a perceptible amount of recoil.

It does prevent peening.

As I have said in a jillion identical threads, they work fine for most people, and if so, why should it bother you that some of us like insurance should the gun ever be fired on the wrong setting.

Some guns with weak springs need the full stroke to work right, and losing .25" will foul them up. Others are too hot and will bounce the bolt off the back wall and outrun the magazine. Some of those people have issues with the buffer.

I use one with an autoplug and 3" shells with no problems. YMMV. I did choose to make it a bit thinner.

thanks a lot bro appriciate the non smart ass answer..i get a lot of smart asses in here..this is my second overgassed ak but guess what i hear they all are for the most part..i have yet to see actual evidence that a buffer caused bent rivets or a damaged receiver..maybe in a cheaper varient but not the saiga..