Vepr-12 MD-20 kit coming soon. (video) Will announce pre-order status

Vepr-12 MD-20 kit is coming soon. (see video) I will announce pre-order status early in the week.

We engineered a a kit to allow the Vepr-12 to run the MD-20. Patent paperwork's postmarked and sent out already, and I'll be arranging specifics with a shop with a duplicator program next week to bring it into production.

Everything will be made of steel for durability, and it's completely bolt-on with no drilling or cutting of the gun whatsoever. It will even come with the tool to remove the magwell.

It's also completely reversible.

I'll take pre-orders to get the first run off starting next week.

Unsure of price ATM. until I speak with my guy.

Here's the first test, sorry for crappy video quality. It got dark & it was so foggy there was like 6 feet visibility;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9n9xdgaH2M&feature=youtu.be

One of my best mechanical engineers, & close associate, Daren of Daimler Freightliner is looking at a couple slight adjustments to the product as I type this.

The Vepr got into Drum World today people! 027.gif

• Like 2

First off I want to say "That is fucking awesome" excl.png Now for the questions that you will get asked at least 100 times. Do you know a ballpark price? Will you want full payment with the pre-order or just so much down like Atlantic did on the Veprs? Does this make the V-12 a rock-n-lock gun? Will the MD-20's and other S-12 mags rock-n-lock or will they go in like magwell mags? Can you still use V-12 mags with your magwell? Now lets see how many times you get asked these same questions.haha.gif

Edited by SCHULTZE
  • Like 2

First off I want to say "That is fucking awesome"

Thanks.

I had to get one because... Well, working on AK Shotguns is kind of what I do for a living, but I really wasn't too stoked about unexpectedly dropping a grand on a gun that is limited to just stick mags.

The MD-20 is what makes the S-12 sooooooooo bad-ass, so this just needed to happen for me to be able to live with myself.

excl.png Now for the questions that you will get asked at least 100 times. Do you know a ballpark price?

I want ti keep it somewhere around $60.00-$75.00 while including the special magwell tool.

Will you want full payment with the pre-order or just so much down like Atlantic did on the Veprs?

I've never done a pre-order thing before. I'm thinking full payment, and it be cheaper for those who pre-order than for retail.

That'll eliminate people being broke when they're ready, it'll get the run done sooner, and if something unexpected happens and they either sell the gun, or beat their wife and lose their rights to posess firearms, they can sell it for a profit.

I'm pretty sure this will be on many's must-have list. I mean... A drummed up shotgun is just a whole different beast, and half the Vepr owners already have Saigas with MD-20s.

As previously stated, I need to talk to my guy and see how much scanning my prototype piece and CNCing the first run will cost. I'll do that next week.

Until then I have no idea how much the run will be, therefore I'll not know how many pre-orders I'll need to do the first run, or what the price needs to be.

I do have all the steel for production on hand already though. I picked it up Friday.

Does this make the V-12 a rock-n-lock gun?

Yes.

Will the MD-20's and other S-12 mags rock-n-lock or will they go in like magwell mags?

Rock & lock exactly like the S-12

Can you still use V-12 mags with your magwell?

You can still use the magwell mags if you put the Vepr-12's magwell back on.

It'll take you about 5-10 min to do so depending on how good you are at installing the mag release.

Now lets see how many times you get asked these same questions.haha.gif

I'm sure it'll be a lot.

OK, I think I saw a shape of a person there.......and then I'm pretty sure I heard gunshots.......unsure.png

Anyway, it sounds interesting. I can't wait to umm..."see it" wink.png

I could bullshit you and say I did it intentionally to keep my trade-secret but that'd be BS. That's what the postmark on the patent paperwork is for. In actuality it's the result of an epic clusterfuck of a day.

Long story, and short amount of daylight.

I'll get a better video soon.

Looks like you took the video with a potato. wink.png This will be interesting to see.

Kodak Easy Share cheapo that's made to take still shots. Shot in the dark, on the peak of a mountain in the middle of a cloud with 8' visibility & a good 40 mph constant wind, freezing my ass off while half drunk on Belvedere Vodka. 032.gif

Yeah... I'm no Steven Spielberg. I know.

I can make guns run like raped apes though. smile.png

So you have to remove and install the magwell each time you want to go back and forth between magwell mags and rock n lock mags. I think I will just bring the S12 along to handle md20s/rock n locks and keep the magwell mags for the vepr. Thats one of the main reasons I bought the vepr was for the magwell, lrbho, hinged dust cover, etc... This would be nice if I only owned a vepr and wanted to run drums though. Ahh either way I will still probably end up owning one lol...just to have the option.

I do like the idea of the Magwell, but I like the idea of a drummed up 12 gauge more.

My personal collection is all about interchangeability. My intermediate rifles are all .39's and can run the same mags, my pistols all run 9mm Winchester Ranger Talon +P+, my shotguns are all 12 gauges and I spent so much on my drums & russian Rock & locks for the S-12 that it doesn't make sense to spend a grand more for reliable mags, and if the S ever hit the F, not being able to share mags with others close to me who I've armed.

My rationale for owning several firearms & my fair share of ammo isn't to have a variety, it's so I can arm a squad if need be, so I tend to look at things from that angle.

• Like 4

Will this require any permanent modifications to the gun?

Everything will be made of steel for durability, and it's completely bolt-on with no drilling or cutting of the gun whatsoever. It will even come with the tool to remove the magwell.

It's also completely reversible.

Edited by Muffman

Sorry long night working. Just awoke.

This is bad ass, you might have this ready before sgm vepr 12 mags come out. Sorry sgm for the low blow, I'm only kidding.

can you insert full mags on a closed bolt?

I thought they were already out?

Anyhow, I'm sure they'll still sell very well. The comp guys really like the SGM 12's & magwells.

Also yes, you can insert mags on a closed bolt. Not FULL drums though. it's just like loading the S-12.

Like I said in the video though, the gun (my prototype gun at least) will need a touch of tuning to get it to run the cheap-ass winchester & federal bulk pack crap.

I'll be going over everything and re-testing.

It'll be a flawless system by the time it runs.

My bro John, a world class gunsmith at Shooter's Service Center in St. John's area of portland Oregon is going to go over it wendsday when they open, so I'll have yet another set of eyes on it which will make 3 professional Mechanical engineers, myself, and a world class Gunsmith.

This is going to be completely bolt on. all you'll need is a hammer & punch to remove the pin in the magwell. I'll be getting a bunch of large bladed screwdrivers and milling them down the centers so people will have the tools to remove the magwell's screw.

Like I said before, this will require no permanent mods to the gun.

It may require very slight mods to the Russian stick mags though, because they get squeezed a tiny bit which caused slow-feeds when I tested them. this could be fixed with a tiny bit of filing at the rear-sides of the V-12's Magwell.

I will test with AGPs next. I'll also get a surefire and test with them. It wasn't an issue with the MD-20 at all. I'm thinking the Surefire will likely work great being sa it has no rear spring steel wrapping around it for the feed lips, and the Surefire 8's are VERY dependable in my experience. They were my #1 go-to mag before I got the $140.00 a pop Russian 8's. Their feed lips NEVER change run to run like other US made stick mags do, so their feed-lips are always perfect for positioning the nose of the shell correctly.

Will it work with promag drums?

Unsure. I don't purchase promag magazines. I think they're shit. I've been burnt by the company too many times.

If someone wants one tested, I'll do it if they send me one to test.

Is there a possibility of future drums that will work without removing the magwell? The ability to interchange mags and drums would, I believe, make it reasonable to buy drums. I really don't want to eliminate the use of Vepr-12 mags to use a drum. alternatives count.

Mag development is a science.

Maybe there will be drums for them in the future, maybe not.

Right now, there's hardly over 1000 V-12's in the country. Until there's a sizable amount more, I seriously doubt anybody will spend the tens of thousands of dollars to bring an MD-20 type drum to the V-12 W/ Magwell market.

Additionally, which magwell do you make it fit? The polymer or the steel?

They're different dimensions.

That being said, I dialed it on on sticks;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqLCb7fjzCY

• Like 2

Looking good bro...seems to be running stick mags nicely. I hear you on the vepr safety too. I haven't accidentally set it to safe but while its on safe I can't stand how it digs into the knuckle on my index finger. Think i'm gonna be changing it out to a Krebs style soon though...not sure. On yeah one more thing...try squaring up and leaning into the vepr a bit more. I bet it will help you manage recoil better and make follow up shots easier. Looking forward to video with the MD drum as well...one I can see anyway lol.

Thanks. The drum ran same as the first time. It had a hard time on the first 5 shots then ran out 14. I'm making another adjustment to the kit, then I'm going to try the drum at 2.5 rotations and see how that goes.

I'm trying to hold off on doing GlassBolt or any mods to the gun whatsoever other than removing the magwell and installing the kit.

• Like 1

This sort of setup has grown on me the more I think about it. IMO one of the biggest benefits of a system like this, as apposed to a drum made to run with the magwell, is that with the magwell off, the drum sits much closer and tighter to the gun. A shotgun with a drum is going to be bulky. However, taking the magwell off to attach a drum seems like it would save quite a bit of space.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I believe the idea has been shelved. But still have hope unless Pauly verifies. Personally I am out regardless. I love my magwell and didn't buy all those police mags to take it off to run a drum. I'll start salivating when I hear of news of a domestically produced drum designed for the magwell installed. That will be the real McCoy...

it wouldn't be that hard to modify any existing drum to work in any gun of the same caliber as the drum. you aren't actually modifying the internals of the drum itself,you're just adding a feed tower to it, using the existing stick mag.

it wouldn't be all that difficult to make a S12 drum fit in a VEPR, without removing the mag well.

1- S12 drum + 1 VEPR stick mag + and a few spacer shells = VEPR drum

Edited by Matthew Hopkins
  • Like 1

it wouldn't be that hard to modify any existing drum to work in any gun of the same caliber as the drum. you aren't actually modifying the internals of the drum itself,you're just adding a feed tower to it, using the existing stick mag.

it wouldn't be all that difficult to make a S12 drum fit in a VEPR, without removing the mag well.

1- S12 drum + 1 VEPR stick mag + and a few spacer shells = VEPR drum

what would you use to bond the vepr mag to the drum permanently?