saiga aged conversion

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 m1911a1-Blackhawk

m1911a1-Blackhawk

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:09 PM

Hello and g'mornin yall. I am in the conversion process with my Saiga 7.62 rifle ( moving fcg forward today). My saiga has egyptian handguards and a triangle nonfolding stock and standard polymer akm pg. Im attempting to give it that egyptian third world khyber pass rough look. I was wondering if anyone has experience or know how when it comes to aging the stamped receiver to look as khyber pass as possible. Ya know the shiny steel peeking through with the park rubbed off look? Would a dremel and a brush swept accross the reciever work? Sandpaper? I have some ideas but would like some suggestions. Thanks
Heres and example of what id like:Attached File  p4120608.jpg   215.97KB   11 downloads

#2 Shandlanos

Shandlanos

Guy who finally figured out how to change his title

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,856 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:15 PM

Leave off the brush - you don't want wire brush marks on the metal. I left an AKM action in a safe place, outside, hidden in a bush and chained to a fixed object, over a winter - after I scrubbed the surface rust off, it looked like a true BFPU.
This would be my signature if I had anything important to say.

Bebo, ergo sum.

#3 m1911a1-Blackhawk

m1911a1-Blackhawk

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:38 PM

Thanks shan. But i think im going to try something similar to the post about " rust blue"! I just want a nice wartorn but nice looking finish like the rifle i gave an example of. Just curious shandlanos do you have pics of your rifle that you did the winter wear to? If so post a pic. Anyone else with suggestions?

#4 TheDarkHorse

TheDarkHorse

Sonovabiche

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:33 PM

Strip off all the factory paint, clean the gun thoroughly with alcohol or a quality degreaser and repaint with a flat gray paint of your choice. Then use fine-grit sandpaper here and there for an added effect.
Or you could get yourself an Egyptian AKM to avoid fucking up a perfectly good Russian rifle...
  • Shandlanos likes this
In the grand scheme of things, does it really matter?

#5 131Johan131

131Johan131

• Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:13 AM

i heard that mr.clean majic eraser will work to make the rifle aged (appearance) and i have seen ut done, it just took a good while though

#6 poolingmyignorance

poolingmyignorance

Saigapathic Maniac

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:08 AM

Blue it, then, bury it in old coffee ground for a week.
Our 2nd Amendment right is the most important of all, because it ensures us our ability to ultimately govern ourselves.
The ORGINAL Freedom of Religion is freedom FROM religion: My freedom from your religion and your freedom from mine.

**my post are meant to be general reference, and are not meant to be all inclusive. So if you say or atempt any of the actions that my postings reference ..your on your own*

#7 whitetrashrn

whitetrashrn

Level-Head

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:22 PM

Hook it behind your car on the way to work. By the time you get there wala!! Aged..
  • dieb4iwake and socom688 like this

#8 GunFun

GunFun

Apparently, guy who has made way too many posts.

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,907 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:39 PM

I am not into fakery, and second the notions about buying a piece of crap beater if that's what you want rather than buying a nice gun and beating it up.

That said, one way of putting aged patina on old metal finishes is timed immersion in mild acids followed by cleaning and inspection. The coffee ground suggestion is one way. I suggest you use a different food instead. Cheap yellow mustard. It has acid from the vinegar, and can be spread where you want it while slowly drying. This makes it easy to control how much reaction you get. People have had really good results "aging" silver this way, or tarnishing swords. It looks just like age. coat it in mustard, wrap it in saran wrap, clean it off every hour or two to see progress, then put a sealer coat on there to stop further wear when you get it where you like it.

#9 motopilot1

motopilot1

Executive Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:29 PM

Buy some ammo and use it, take it hunting shooting crawl through the woods with it. at least then it wont be fake. probably not the best advice for a quick fix. but what better way to show wear than actual real use
No WE do not speak French. We speak American because your in America, greatest country on earth
"Ricky Bobby"

#10 mancat

mancat

Top Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,275 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:56 PM

Yeah the best way is just to use it, really.

I've sort of wondered about tossing the barreled receiver into a bag of rice (barrel plugged) and carrying it in your car to/from work for a couple weeks. Not sure how that would work out, but you would think the jarring motion of the rice in a vehicle would cause some abrasion of the factory surface that would look semi-natural. Rice will also absorb any moisture present, so you don't need to worry about rust.

Probably a wild idea, but you're welcome to try it.

#11 CroCopitateya

CroCopitateya

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:04 AM

I've heard of people using baking soda.

#12 patriot

patriot

America...Love it or get the hell out!

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,307 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:07 AM

Gut it first, plug the bore and chamber, then degrease and spray it with salt water. Let dry in the sun.

Fighting for your rights whether you deserve them or not. Pro Patria Vigilans
"The strength of the Constitution lies entirely in the determination of each citizen to defend it. Only if every single citizen feels duty bound to do his share in this defense are constitutional rights secure." Albert Einstein ...remember the Four Boxes. Psalm 109:8
Tromix.....When it HAS to be Loud and Proud!

#13 Forge

Forge

• Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:09 PM

Put a beard on it.
  • Shankspony and saiga genesis 7.62 like this

#14 m1911a1-Blackhawk

m1911a1-Blackhawk

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:09 PM

Hahahaha this thread is hilarious seriously. PUT A BEARD ON IT HAHAHA ROTF CRYING :-D
  • XdamagedX likes this

#15 Drinking Beer

Drinking Beer

• Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

This is what I did,

Step 1: Begin drinking beer. Any type of beer will do but remember its the quantity not the quality. This step is the most critical to begin and removes any hesitation or regret from beginning Step 2.

Step 2: Find old sand paper and aimlessly begin rubbing in a back to forth motion. Don't forget to restart Step 1 often.

In hardly any time your rifle will appear like it was found in a war-torn shithole and will look similar to this:
Posted Image

Edited by Drinking Beer, 13 December 2012 - 09:18 PM.

#16 RED333

RED333

MERRY EARLY CHRISTMAS

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,673 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:28 PM

m1911a1-Blackhawk, just send it to me, I will take care of it for ya, Send LOTS AND LOTS of ammo.

Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
I AM A REDNECK!!!
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

As a wise man once said, "If they keep cornering and harassing the rattlesnake, it will have no option but to strike back."

#17 m1911a1-Blackhawk

m1911a1-Blackhawk

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:56 PM

Now drinking beer thats exactly the look im looking for. YOU ARE THE MAN!!!! Now for some bluemoon my wife can drink some cabernet lmao :cheers: :thumbsup:
And good try red333 :wink:

#18 m1911a1-Blackhawk

m1911a1-Blackhawk

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:06 PM

Hey drinking beer, Thats a nice saiga in your avi, what is it chambered in? Looks like a .308 with a 22" bbl. Im in want of one pf those for christmas. Might have to wait till my bday next year :sad:

Edited by m1911a1-Blackhawk, 14 December 2012 - 06:07 PM.

#19 Drinking Beer

Drinking Beer

• Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:22 PM

Hey drinking beer, Thats a nice saiga in your avi, what is it chambered in? Looks like a .308 with a 22" bbl. Im in want of one pf those for christmas. Might have to wait till my bday next year :sad:

Yup, it's a .308. and my most accurate saiga. I've played around with that rifles configuration many times trying to get the right balance because of the weight of the thicker heavy barrel. The 22" is a looong gun.

#20 m1911a1-Blackhawk

m1911a1-Blackhawk

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:42 AM

Yes it is my friend. Tis a wonderful thing to look at. I want one so i can have some mock dragunov custom furniture made and have it for my sharpshooter rifle. Finn Mosin for backup :-)

#21 Forge

Forge

• Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:21 PM

Why don't you just buy a Wasr? Those look like crap when they are new.
  • Shandlanos likes this

#22 W8lifter

W8lifter

Do u even math?

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:06 PM

^Lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users