Hello and g'mornin yall. I am in the conversion process with my Saiga 7.62 rifle ( moving fcg forward today). My saiga has egyptian handguards and a triangle nonfolding stock and standard polymer akm pg. Im attempting to give it that egyptian third world khyber pass rough look. I was wondering if anyone has experience or know how when it comes to aging the stamped receiver to look as khyber pass as possible. Ya know the shiny steel peeking through with the park rubbed off look? Would a dremel and a brush swept accross the reciever work? Sandpaper? I have some ideas but would like some suggestions. Thanks

Heres and example of what id like:post-44973-0-00498700-1353345022_thumb.jpg

Leave off the brush - you don't want wire brush marks on the metal. I left an AKM action in a safe place, outside, hidden in a bush and chained to a fixed object, over a winter - after I scrubbed the surface rust off, it looked like a true BFPU.

Strip off all the factory paint, clean the gun thoroughly with alcohol or a quality degreaser and repaint with a flat gray paint of your choice. Then use fine-grit sandpaper here and there for an added effect.

Or you could get yourself an Egyptian AKM to avoid fucking up a perfectly good Russian rifle...

• Like 1

I am not into fakery, and second the notions about buying a piece of crap beater if that's what you want rather than buying a nice gun and beating it up.

That said, one way of putting aged patina on old metal finishes is timed immersion in mild acids followed by cleaning and inspection. The coffee ground suggestion is one way. I suggest you use a different food instead. Cheap yellow mustard. It has acid from the vinegar, and can be spread where you want it while slowly drying. This makes it easy to control how much reaction you get. People have had really good results "aging" silver this way, or tarnishing swords. It looks just like age. coat it in mustard, wrap it in saran wrap, clean it off every hour or two to see progress, then put a sealer coat on there to stop further wear when you get it where you like it.

Yeah the best way is just to use it, really.

I've sort of wondered about tossing the barreled receiver into a bag of rice (barrel plugged) and carrying it in your car to/from work for a couple weeks. Not sure how that would work out, but you would think the jarring motion of the rice in a vehicle would cause some abrasion of the factory surface that would look semi-natural. Rice will also absorb any moisture present, so you don't need to worry about rust.

Probably a wild idea, but you're welcome to try it.

This is what I did,

Step 1: Begin drinking beer. Any type of beer will do but remember its the quantity not the quality. This step is the most critical to begin and removes any hesitation or regret from beginning Step 2.

Step 2: Find old sand paper and aimlessly begin rubbing in a back to forth motion. Don't forget to restart Step 1 often.

In hardly any time your rifle will appear like it was found in a war-torn shithole and will look similar to this:

IMG_7280_zpsc1c57294.jpg

Edited by Drinking Beer

Hey drinking beer, Thats a nice saiga in your avi, what is it chambered in? Looks like a .308 with a 22" bbl. Im in want of one pf those for christmas. Might have to wait till my bday next year :sad:

Yup, it's a .308. and my most accurate saiga. I've played around with that rifles configuration many times trying to get the right balance because of the weight of the thicker heavy barrel. The 22" is a looong gun.