Reliability mod for the OEM 8rd Vepr 12 magazine?

I recently bought 4 x 8rd Vepr mags for my S12

I bought them from Planet of the gun in Germany

There was an option on there website for mags that had been modified for an extra 10 Euros

I was wondering what was involved in this reliability mod?

From a rough translation of their website the factory tollerences are too tight which could cause jamming in race gun conditions

So i guess the mod may involve removing some material from the mag body or follower?

Any suggestions?

Basically, they are saying that the mags are manufactured with the tolerances too tight, and they say they are "overhauling" them for reliability (they don't say anything about what they are doing). They are drilling a hole or holes in the mag to indicate that the magazine is fully loaded, and that the edges of the "Vollstandsanzeige" holes are smoothed or chamfered - presumably so that the holes don't interfere with cycling.

No suggestions or recommendations. I suspect that most US users are holding out for SGM 10 and 12 round magazines which will be considerably less expensive for Vepr 12 shooters over here. Izhmash Version 30, 8 round mags work very well out of the box, and cost quite a bit less here than the $150 you are paying for them in Europe.

Note to US Vepr owners: NIB Vepr 12s with a standard factory kit appear to start at just over US $1,900 on the German website. Just a guess, but I wouldn't count on US pricing staying where it is for long.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...