Not cycling high brass, help a newbie out?

Update:

So, I tried the autoplug screwed all the way in and one thread out, it works better all the way in, but there wasn't a noticeable increase in gas since the D mod. So I decided that it was time to up the gas. I drilled the ports out to 3/32 or .093", which is the way evlblkwpnz runs his, if I am not mistaken.

I now have 4 ports at .093 and I tuned the autoplug today. It just got reliable on the #8 bulk pack winchester as I bottomed out the screw on the autoplug. This would suggest that my gun is now gassed just sufficiently enough to run #8 bulk on the tightest autoplug setting. I'm happy enough with this, but is anyone else surprised that 4 ports at .093 isn't almost over-gassed instead of being barely sufficient? Also worthy of note, I didn't have time to run that many shells through him today so after I had one mag with 1/5 failures, followed by a bit of tightening and a mag with 0/5 failures I considered it good enough and then got to work barely on time. Time may tell that I cannot shoot the #8 shot in this vodka special, but the high velocity #6 is the same price at my local store ($22.99 for 100) so I am not too worried about it.

I'll post his picture on the main picture thread too, but here is the debut of Korsakoff

post-45451-0-09176900-1354847648_thumb.jpg

Conversion by legion

Tapco g2 FCG

Tapco tappet/puck

Tapco grip and stock

Tac 47 Autoplug

UTG (american version) Quad rail with peep for iron sights

Magpul angled foregrip

Bushnell TRS-25 red dot (Yes I know that shotguns don't need scopes, I am cross-dominant and this allows me to shoot on my strong side and use my strong eye at the same time)

Magpul low profile rail protectors

Dinzag deluxe short front sight block

Chaos Warthog muzzle break

UTG model 47 combat butt pad (because this is a self defense gun that I may have to shoot while naked and every little bit of recoil reduction helps.)

(Not pictured, 2 SGM tactical 12 round magazines)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Be deliberate about your ammo choices.   you don't care about the shot size, you care about the weight of shot in relation to velocity. The baseline is 1 1/8 oz of shot at 1200 FPS or more.   If y

I puts the lotion on the skin.... not in the gas block

Posted Images

Glad you got it running. It sounds like some of the friction work would be particularly worthwhile on yours.

You don't need to apologise for having recoil management. It is only sensible. Good recoil control systems make your gun more comfortable, and you more effective. When combined with proper technique you can proficiently handle heavier loads, and all loads faster. People who mock you for it are stupid, and are clearly insecure about something. I've noticed a large degree of overlap between men who are too manly for a "sissy pad" and people who never run 3" shells in their saigas. I can shoot 3" shells effectively without a butt pad, but why in hell would I want to if there is a more pleasant alternative with so few downsides?

Similar reasoning applies to better sighting systems and better triggers. If you like a RDS, use a good RDS. Anyone who knocks you for it needs to get a life. There are quite a few people here who have and love the same sight on their S12s so you are in good company. Apparently it can survive the recoil.

• Like 2

Glad you got it running. It sounds like some of the friction work would be particularly worthwhile on yours.

You don't need to apologise for having recoil management. It is only sensible. Good recoil control systems make your gun more comfortable, and you more effective. When combined with proper technique you can proficiently handle heavier loads, and all loads faster. People who mock you for it are stupid, and are clearly insecure about something. I've noticed a large degree of overlap between men who are too manly for a "sissy pad" and people who never run 3" shells in their saigas. I can shoot 3" shells effectively without a butt pad, but why in hell would I want to if there is a more pleasant alternative with so few downsides?

Similar reasoning applies to better sighting systems and better triggers. If you like a RDS, use a good RDS. Anyone who knocks you for it needs to get a life. There are quite a few people here who have and love the same sight on their S12s so you are in good company. Apparently it can survive the recoil.

The red dot surviving the recoil was something i researched before purchase, no coincidence there. It had nutnfancy's stamp of approval and was on sale for about 80 bucks, so I went ahead. Its actually my first "optic" if it can, indeed, be styled as such.

I think you're right about needing friction reduction work done. Anyone know of someone with fast turnaround of service for around 100 bucks or less?

I don't know that any have a fast turnaround, but both Cobra 762 and Pauly consistently have happy customers. They offer very nice basic work, for about $100, and for a little more than that a few extras. I get the impression it takes 2 or 3 months with both, but that is only my impression. I know Jack Travers does bolt work with his conversions, but I do not know if he offers it as a stand alone or what his timeline would be.

I suggest you ask those guys what their waiting period is, and ask for quotes with an extended or left side charging handle while you are at it.

I would not recommend having your local shop do this. I might say if you are particularly handy and careful, to examine the thread and do the work yourself, but you need to make that call. It's a semi- irreplaceable part.

• 1 month later...

Well I guess I have a project ahead of me. I have a similair problem. I don't want to double post so I'll list my problems here. I just took my Saiga out to the range for the first time yesterday. I bought it used and converted. It ran Federal and Winchester Bulk flawlessly but would not cycle high brass at all. The gun would fire and the bolt would close. No stovepipes or anything like that. The spent shell would just not leave the gun at all. All birdshot was fired on position 2. The high brass I fired on position 1. After discovering the FTE issue, I tried 2 high brass shells on position 2. I know this is wrong but was hoping the shells would eject. They did not. I also tried different types of high brass. I cleaned and lubed the gun before shooting and picked out the gas ports. I was hoping that a new puck or regulator will solve the problem. Any input on the DPH Regulator with 6 settings? Or the Auto-plug? I also performed the bolt drop test, which I just learned from this thread, and the bolt carrier got stuck on the hammer, could this be my problem even though it cycles low brass fine? After closely examining the ports, it looks like 2 of the 4 ports are partially covered. Any ideas which is the cause/solution to my problems?

New question: Could it be that I need a new extractor? Or extractor spring?

Edited by Beretty
  • 5 months later...

Berretty-- If I understood what you were saying, Hot loads run well on #1 but not on #2. ...

The first obvious point is to run every load on the lowest number setting that will cycle it every time. If it is marginal, go up to the next setting and don't worry.

As far as what is happening-- I believe what causes loads that run on #1, but not #2 is likely bolt bounce. So the bolt is moving too fast, because you are not partly blocking off the ports with the plug, and the bolt bounces off of the rear trunion, or simply gets there quicker and returns forward faster than the mag can lift the ammo. Further compounding this is that it tends to happen with heavy 3" loads. That is more weight on the mag spring, so the mag is working slower while the bolt is cycling faster... The solution is to use the right setting.

DPH plug, tac 47 equivalent, MD plug and other Gunfixxer clones all work about the same. DPH has more stages, which is nice, but a number of people have complained that the notches the detente clicks into are a bit deep or sharp so that it is hard to turn. They do a good job of allowing you to run just the right amount of gas, provided there is enough getting through in the first place.

I prefer the autoplug personally, with the mods as found in my gallery about the subject. As with the manual plugs, there must still be enough flow to start with.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Berretty-- If I understood what you were saying, Hot loads run well on #1 but not on #2. ...

He's saying he can't get high brass to function on either setting.

It ran Federal and Winchester Bulk flawlessly but would not cycle high brass at all. The gun would fire and the bolt would close. No stovepipes or anything like that. The spent shell would just not leave the gun at all.... I tried 2 high brass shells on position 2. I know this is wrong but was hoping the shells would eject.

I'm new to Saiga's, but I'd wonder if that signified a weak extractor.