Mini 14 Compared To Saiga .223?

Hope this post doesn't cause any muzzle flash, but I would like a comparison of the two rifles.

I am new to firearms, and I purchased 2 rifles, a Saiga 5.45 and a Mini 14. I purchased the Saiga first and have been very happy with it. When I purchased the Mini 14, I didn't know Saiga's in 223 existed.

I am kinda wishing I would have bought a Saiga in 223 instead of the Mini 14, especially since I have learned that Ruger will not sell spare firing pins for the Mini, and the only aftermarket firing pin available is garbage. (The rifle must be sent to Ruger when the firing pin breaks.)

I am keeping my rifles in the sporter configuration, and since I installed Dinzag's FCGNPG FCG in the Saiga, the trigger in the Saiga is way better than the stock trigger in the Mini. I am so happy with this improvement. The Saiga is so enjoyable to shoot now.

The ergonomics in the Ruger are a little better than the ergonomics in the unconverted Saiga. The biggest issue is that the trigger is a little harder to reach in the Saiga than it is in the Ruger. This is not a big issue, and I can easily live with it. The Ruger is probably a little lighter than the Saiga, but again, not a big issue.

Anybody have any comparisons or comments they would like to make?

Edited by tbryanh

Which generation/model of Mini 14 is it? The newer series 581 is probably going to be close to or better than the Saiga .223 in accuracy/precision, having a heavier hammer-forged Ruger-made barrel.

The older pencil-barreled models probably won't even come close to even an AK in .223, and will start to string long before the AK does.

Unless you convert the Saiga to pistol grip config, the Mini will probably always beat it out in ergonomics.

• Like 1

My biggest gripe with the Mini's is that they have so many damn small parts. I dont care for that myself. But what Mancat said is pretty much the jist of it. Pretty nice guns, but for the price, Id rather have a Saiga given a choice. Your mileage may vary.

• Like 2

I've fired them both side by side several times. The mini14 has a little more control, the sights are better and it can take massive mag dumps and not over heat too much. Depending on the model, the downfall is that is can't take 556. The recoil is faster on the mini, which accounts for the less rocking action that the saiga has. The saiga is built a little more rigid, easier to maintain and capable of taking 556. Other plus for the saiga, more mag options. Shitty mini mags are always junk. I've had to file and rework tons of mini mag knock offs. Some of them have issues with fft and ffe meaning you have to file the back and front of the mag to get it to not only secure, but to chamber and discharge the round. I love to shoot both, but as a go to weapon, my saiga is my go to for durability, capability and overall ease of shooting.

My vote goes with the Mini, but not by much. They are both built like a tank (imo, the edge goes to mini), reliable, simple design, heavy for what they shoot, and both are a pain to get decent reliable mags for cheap. BOTH take 5.56/223.

There are some pro's and con's though. The mini is easily fixed (via Ruger for $$) and has been around forever. An American classic.Spare parts are next to nil and will void your warranty if you do it yourself or anyone other than Ruger does it. However, that being said... Ruger's customer service is fantastic. VERY accurate and solid. As mentioned... has lots of tiny parts that get lost when stripping. Great ergo's.

S223's on the other hand... have NOT been around forever (although the 100 series has quite a history), has that "rebel" look, Spare parts are also next to nil (for 223 specific parts), and warranty work is nonexistant if you mod it, and good luck with warranty work even if you don't (if you can even find who to take it to). Fairly accurate and sturdy. Minimum parts and easy to keep track of when stripping. Not so great ergo's (in sporter trim).

Close call.... and they are BOTH fantastic rifles, but my vote goes to the Mini (by a VERY small margin).

I've had both the Mini 14 and the Saiga 223. They are both nice rifles. I used to be a big Ruger guy, and have expanded my taste to other makers. I no longer have any Mini 14's but if I found one for the right price I'd buy it up. I sold them back when I needed money for some of lifes little lessons.

If the one you have is accurate I'd keep it, and save up for a Saiga 223. Since the market is dry on them right now the prices have risen, and maybe by the time you have enough set aside for it the next boat load will have arrived.

My biggest gripe with the Mini's is that they have so many damn small parts. I dont care for that myself. But what Mancat said is pretty much the jist of it. Pretty nice guns, but for the price, Id rather have a Saiga given a choice. Your mileage may vary.

my thoughts exactly. Ak action is so simple. However if you plan on reloading, the ak action isn't really your friend. Tears up brass and slings it for a while. The mini, not so much but still. Honestly I feel that anything other than an ar in .223 is counter productive.

I got my first Mini14 over 25 years ago, it was my first 223/5.56 rifle. IMO the newer ones are better. I just recently traded my old thin barrel Blue Mini for an M&P 15 Sport but I still have my Stainless Steel thicker barrel Mini14. I think it is a great little rifle but some will say that aren’t accurate like the AR or Saiga.

As far as the comparisons, one word for me Ammo. My biggest gripe with the Mini is I can’t shoot the cheaper Russian ammo like the Saiga but then again either could my M&P 15 Sport or my SU16 if you follow the manufacturer’s ammo recommendations. I’ve shot plenty of Wolf and Tula in my SU16 and have not ruined anything yet but I wouldn’t even try Russian ammo in the Mini

I got my first Mini14 over 25 years ago, it was my first 223/5.56 rifle. IMO the newer ones are better. I just recently traded my old thin barrel Blue Mini for an M&P 15 Sport but I still have my Stainless Steel thicker barrel Mini14. I think it is a great little rifle but some will say that aren’t accurate like the AR or Saiga.

As far as the comparisons, one word for me Ammo. My biggest gripe with the Mini is I can’t shoot the cheaper Russian ammo like the Saiga but then again either could my M&P 15 Sport or my SU16 if you follow the manufacturer’s ammo recommendations. I’ve shot plenty of Wolf and Tula in my SU16 and have not ruined anything yet but I wouldn’t even try Russian ammo in the Mini

Are the firing pins a weak link in the newer Mini 14s?

Are the firing pins a weak link in the newer Mini 14s?

Speaking for myself I never had an issue with it nor have I heard of it being an issue. And to be honest since I got into the Saiga(s) about two year ago the Mini14 has got sidelined but since it was my first 223/5.56 carbine I’ll always have one. They are kind of like a small version of the M-14/M1A. The only real negative out there I’m aware of is the constant Mini14 vs. AR chat were the AR folks will say the AR is much more accurate. That may be true with older ones but I think the newer Mini may have made up some ground there with the upgraded heavier barrels on new models but I suppose the great debate will continue...

Edited by Another-Saiga-Fan

I'd sell the mini and put all the monies into the saiga ....... but what do i know? blink.png

Just traded my Mini 14 for a Saiga in 223. Both rifles were about 3 months old with only about 200 rounds fired through each. I got a few extras with the Saiga to "even out" the deal, soft carrying case and 2 scope mounting rails. Couldn't feel better right now. Edited by tbryanh
  • Like 2

I'd sell the mini and put all the monies into the saiga ....... but what do i know? blink.png

Hey change your avatar...GregM1 has been using that one for years.

http://forum.saiga-1...r/16016-gregm1/

I ripped this from a 1911 forum or liveleak, definately not from him; but I'll take your word and start looking for a new f0ckers.gif avatar

Just traded my Mini 14 for a Saiga in 223. Both rifles were about 3 months old with only about 200 rounds fired through each. I got a few extras with the Saiga to "even out" the deal, soft carrying case and 2 scope mounting rails. Couldn't feel better right now.

Nice trade. I'll admit they're great carbines and "to each his own", but I've never had love for the Ruger mini's......cough...cough..M1A

The firing pin in the Mini is what made me not like the rifle. It is weak, unavailable, complex, and is not being improved.

The firing pin is weak because it is cast.

Ruger will not sell spare firing pins. There are some aftermarket pins available, but they are weaker than Ruger's.

The pin is complex and not easy to make by people/companies other than Ruger. The Metal Injection Molding process that Ruger has perfected allows them to easily cast complex metal parts. Problem is, its not easy for other people/companies to make these parts. Relative to firing pins in other rifles, especially firing pins in Saiga rifles, the Mini firing pin is complex and not easy to duplicate.

Rather than improving the firing pin in the Mini, Ruger implemented a policy of restricting the types of ammo the rifle can use. To me, this policy is a bandaid approach and a clear admission that there is a problem that they are not willing to fix.

Edited by tbryanh
  • Like 1