Saiga bullet guide in my Vepr?

The 5.45 guide I got from Greg at CSS was the same look and shape as the .223, but works flawless, and the trunnion on my Vepr took a bit longer to tap vs. any Saiga's I did. I think Liberty's wasnt as bad as mine for his .223, but mine was a bitch. lol. Overall you'll be pleased HOG. The payoff is worth it.

Edited by Captain Hero

The 5.45 guide I got from Greg at CSS was the same look and shape as the .223, but works flawless, and the trunnion on my Vepr took a bit longer to tap vs. any Saiga's I did. I think Liberty's wasnt as bad as mine for his .223, but mine was a bitch. lol. Overall you'll be pleased HOG. The payoff is worth it.

The first one went smooth, but did take longer than expected. The second ended up being a bitch.The second one the tap broke about half way through the tapping process. At that point I decided to redrill the hole a size bigger and use a rivet to mount it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just the mag catch. When I chamber a round it feeds perfectly every time. I've done it slow to watch the angle and I'm not exactly sure why the guide is needed. If I'm missing something or just simply uninformed please share the info. I'd really not like to damage anything in my new beauty due to my own ignorance. I was under the impression the rounds would not feed without a bullet guide to ramp them to the proper angle.

It may work fine now, but its long term reliability that remains to be seen. And yes, what did you modify?

If your rifle feeds ok without one, then keep on keeping on. Id shoot it a few hundred times to see if it will be reliable before I decide if it will function reliably or not. You wont hurt anything by not putting one in other than hurting reliablilty if it becomes a problem.

• 1 month later...

New member, first post, probably dumb question. Just received new vepr 5.45 from kvar. I have one circle 10 mag and 4 tapco on the way. I plan on filing the mag catch. Will the factory mags still work after filing the catch? Don't plan on installing bullet guide, at least initially.

• 3 weeks later...

shot 60 rounds yesterday. Number 57 jammed using 30 round tapco. Looks like I need to install the bullet guide. I've read that it's not uncommon for these to jam when new, but my saiga 223 has never jammed. The bullet was jammed below the chamber.

Edited by thomascw
shot 60 rounds yesterday. Number 57 jammed using 30 round tapco. Looks like I need to install the bullet guide. I've read that it's not uncommon for these to jam when new, but my saiga 223 has never jammed. The bullet was jammed below the chamber.

Does it jam the same way with the circle 10's? Tapcos really arent the best mags, but they work good for some folks. The only mags I use are Russian and Bulgarian, but I also put a guide in all my guns that dont have one.

Since your starting to have jams, Id say its very possibly going to slowly get worse, as the mag gets used. Just take your time with tapping the trunnion. The Vepr trunnion is a bit more beefy than the Saiga, and took me a while longer to do. Just go slow. 1/4 turn at a time and blow it out. Repeat. It took me almost 2 hrs for my 5.45, but is well worth the finished result.

Yesterday was first time shooting this weapon. I kind of got caught up in the madness and bought a bushmaster and some lower receivers for some ar builds, plus i was waiting on some non corrosive ammo. Didn't try the circle 10, will try it tomorrow. Probably going to order bullet guide. Did you have to notch the top of the factory mags after installing the bullet guide?

Yes. The factory mags have a built in bump that acts as a bullet guide, the same as the Saigas. Just mod the mag the same as a Saiga and it should work fine. I havent had any issues with any of my Molot mags that have been modded.

Just go slow with your tap. I cant stress that enough. Keep patient and you shall come out victorious. I always drill my holes all the way through the trunnion so if I have a tap break I can try to shatter it and let the debris fall out of the way. Use something for a cutting oil too. It will help.

Zero failures with circle 10 mag and wpa. It was jamming every other round today with tapco. Still haven't received guide. Should I just shitcan the tapcos? Or should they be fine with the guide?

That remains to be seen. Id wait for the guide, put it in, and go from there. The bulgy mags should still function flawless, but the crapcos should do a bit better.. Its up to you to shitcan them. I would. lol. but thats me, and I'll let you decide if you want to after you put a guide in.

guide arrived. install went worse than i had hoped. somehow I drilled too far forward on the trunion ( too close to the chamber). I feel kind of sick. I center punched several times,but my bit still wandered. I guess I'll either leave it without a guide or see if I can find someone to tig weld it in.

Make the hole bigger in the guide to where you can still get a screw in to secure it.

Edit, to better state it, elongate the hole on the guide so you can use your screw they sent with it.

Edited by Captain Hero