Saiga bullet guide in my Vepr?

Haha,you shouldn't. I just broke the tap. Now i just feel retarded, not sick any more. I was able to tamp the broken tap down flush with the trunion. Those taps break easily. It just proves my machining skills. I'll just get it welded. If I keep fixing it, it will really be broke. The bullet guide is way softer than the trunion

Haha,you shouldn't. I just broke the tap. Now i just feel retarded, not sick any more. I was able to tamp the broken tap down flush with the trunion. Those taps break easily. It just proves my machining skills. I'll just get it welded. If I keep fixing it, it will really be broke. The bullet guide is way softer than the trunion

Dont feel bad. Its not uncommon on these trunnions. It didnt occur to me until now, but one of my buddies on here used a pop rivet. So far its been holding up. And the trunnion is much harder than the guide. Ive read how many members have had issues with tapping trunnions on Saigas, but to be honest, those are a breeze compared to a Vepr IMO.

Taps are hard, but brittle. Welding it is always an option.

If you use a punch slightly smaller than the original hole you drilled you can break up the broken tap and push the pieces through the trunnion so you can try again. I have done this several times in particular using the 6-32 tap. I have changed my ways and use a larger tap/screw combo and modify the bullet guide to accept the larger screw.

• Like 1
If you use a punch slightly smaller than the original hole you drilled you can break up the broken tap and push the pieces through the trunnion so you can try again. I have done this several times in particular using the 6-32 tap. I have changed my ways and use a larger tap/screw combo and modify the bullet guide to accept the larger screw.

This is about the best method for a broken tap that Ive found.

Thomascw, I would suggest you use something as a cutting oil while tapping. It should help keep the tap from seizing up as easy. I use clp for mine, even though theres better stuff out there for that task, it still works good for me.

thanks for the help. I just took it to my gunsmith. I was getting nervous about making more holes in the trunion. I broke my bit and my tap last night. I don't really have the patience for this kind of work. He said he was going to use some sort of silver solder?( some sort of solder anyway). Supposed to hold up to 20,000 psi. Hopefully done by tomorrow. Btw, he had a saiga 7.62 in the shop, putting a collapsible stock and changing the foregrip.

just got gun home, shot 30 rounds through tapco flawless. Haven't tried circle 10 or modded factory mags. He charged me $50 , which i kinda bitched about at first(not in front of the gunsmith,just grumbled at the cash register). The guy at the counter said it took him 2 1/2 hours and that he had the entire gun apart. Plus, obviously I screwed it up.Oh well, money well spent if it holds up.

I test fired my Saiga 5.45 and it worked fine without the bullet guide, but that was just a few mags.

I suggest everyone always add the guide just incase. My saiga was shooting them fine for a bit too until I took a round out of the chamber and saw how the bullets were being shoved into the casing... not good.

What size do you like? My 8-32 just broke scorn.gif

Also, do not pay a gunsmith $50 to silver solder a bullet guide. Mine came off with my second shot on my modified factory 10 rd mags. On the upside; my modified factory mags worked fine without the guide. My lone circle 10 was flawless. Even my 4 Tapco's were fine until the 30th round; which jammed every time. I was really impressed with the grouping at 100 yds. So was my buddy shooting an Ar 15. He only shot 15 rounds; I shot 150. My groups were nearly as tight with pretty rapid fire( time to realign scope) I was shooting 7n6 for the first time. We were shooting off sand bags on a plastic table. Honestly; I was within a 6 inch circle.I know it's just bullshit without video evidence:but this was a lot tighter than my saiga 223