Gas Deflection Safety System?

Toward the end of this lengthy video

The speaker says that if the firing pin fits sloppy, is too long, or is too pointed, the primer can spring a leak, and gasses from the cartridge case can flow backwards.

When this happens, he says that if you are not wearing glasses and you don't have a modern gun that has some kind of gas deflection system in it, the gases can go in face and burn/blind you.

Since Saiga's have an old school design that apparently hasn't changed in probably 60 years, I am wondering if they have a gas deflection system?

This is a 100% non-issue. The chances of your Saiga piercing a primer are nil. I personally have never heard of a single case of a Saiga doing this. On top of this, 5.45 has harder primers than commercial ammo anyways. In the case that this actually does happen, the AK receiver has MANY other places that the gas will exit that aren't directed into your face. That notwithstanding, the amount of gas that comes out is highly unlikely to blind you.

The speaker says that if the firing pin fits sloppy, is too long, or is too pointed, the primer can spring a leak, and gasses from the cartridge case can flow backwards.

Since Saiga's have an old school design that apparently hasn't changed in probably 60 years, I am wondering if they have a gas deflection system?

If the firing pin is in the bolt channel too sloppy, it will likely catch debris and hang up more than anything, or get stuck. If the pin was to become pointed somehow, I dont see how the overall length of it would grow and pierce a primer. Its possible, but unlikely. Still good to check shit like that periodically.

But the Saigas are'nt of the old school design of the AKM, but rather of the AK 100 series, wich is indeed a modern uprgraded AK-74 series based weapon. The days of the Russian AKM's are gone, and its hard to say what will carry over from the 100 series into the the new AK-12 platform.

Edited by Captain Hero