Scope Mounts that enable Iron Sight use

So I would like to keep my iron sights if possible but definitely want to mount this scope I have sitting around. I have done my fair share of seraching but seems the goal is to keep the mounts as low as possible and Iron Sights aren't considered.

What mount options are there that still enable you to use your iron sights?

Good luck finding one. All the mounts i have seen sacrifice your cheek weld on the stock and turns it into your chin resting on it. I opted for a quick release side mount with a red dot. Have Another mount with a scope on it. Never any issues holding zero after 6-7k rounds. Taken on and off hundreds of times.

• Like 1

I got a MTK-83 from belarus on mine with a cheapo 4x32 scope works alright but takes some getting used to seeing how it makes you feel like a lil kid trying to look over something to use it... as far as accuracy or how long it will last I dunno havent shot it enough to really give a good answer... was having a lil trouble with screws backing out and loosing zero havent shot it yet after fix... (in the middle of conversion) not lookin good to get to range for a while yet need more parts to keep atf happy... dont remember where I got it but I think it was either cheaper then dirt or apex

It's possible, but you will likely need to go with a Texas Dogleg system to replace the receiver cover. I have gone that route, and added the peep sight in front of a one piece TMS scope mount with Nikon glass. The setup allows me to use the irons and still use the scope without it causing cheek weld issues. I will try to post a pic of my setup later on this afternoon.

Gabes kalishni-scout uses a long eye relief scope on an ultimak, mounted on 1 inch burris tactical rings. He claims that the 1" rings have holes that let you sight the irons through them below the scope. Link

Personally I think its an OK build, but the forearm is more tacticool than useful. On a scout rifle id rather have a lightweight plastic forearm than 5 miles of rail, a light plastic 20-round mag, and a lighter stock, preferably folding for an easier time humping it and moving with it. But, hes selling it, so a certain amount of bells and whistles are required to sell to the mall ninjas.

Edited by mostholycerebus

Good luck finding one. All the mounts i have seen sacrifice your cheek weld on the stock and turns it into your chin resting on it. I opted for a quick release side mount with a red dot. Have Another mount with a scope on it. Never any issues holding zero after 6-7k rounds. Taken on and off hundreds of times.

Any pics of your setup? I am leaning towards two mounts for scope and red dot (for fun) so I can stay zeroed. It is looking like I'm either shooting scoped or removing for iron sights.

I got a MTK-83 from belarus on mine with a cheapo 4x32 scope works alright but takes some getting used to seeing how it makes you feel like a lil kid trying to look over something to use it... as far as accuracy or how long it will last I dunno havent shot it enough to really give a good answer... was having a lil trouble with screws backing out and loosing zero havent shot it yet after fix... (in the middle of conversion) not lookin good to get to range for a while yet need more parts to keep atf happy... dont remember where I got it but I think it was either cheaper then dirt or apex

Pics? Very curious about the cheek weld...

It's possible, but you will likely need to go with a Texas Dogleg system to replace the receiver cover. I have gone that route, and added the peep sight in front of a one piece TMS scope mount with Nikon glass. The setup allows me to use the irons and still use the scope without it causing cheek weld issues. I will try to post a pic of my setup later on this afternoon.

Hmm...haven't done much searching yet but I would be open to the Texas Dogleg. What is a round about price for one of those dust covers for the x39?

Gabes kalishni-scout uses a long eye relief scope on an ultimak, mounted on 1 inch burris tactical rings. He claims that the 1" rings have holes that let you sight the irons through them below the scope. Link

Personally I think its an OK build, but the forearm is more tacticool than useful. On a scout rifle id rather have a lightweight plastic forearm than 5 miles of rail, a light plastic 20-round mag, and a lighter stock, preferably folding for an easier time humping it and moving with it. But, hes selling it, so a certain amount of bells and whistles are required to sell to the mall ninjas.

Yeah, I am not a fan after looking at it. The iron sights are not what I had invisioned and I totally agree lighter and fewer over what he has equipped there.

http://forum.saiga-1...ies-side-mount/ Midwest industries makes a good one. Low, solid, but in the $110.00 price range I have never been a co-witness fan due to having had optics I could'nt see through while hunting, and have had over under sights and by the time I looked through the optic and switched to irons the shot was gone, and I never had a good position for one or the other. This way if it's rainy, steamy, muddy. Snowing and one breath would make an optic useless. Keep it in a bag. I actially have 2 UTG/Leapers gen5 QD side mount and have had no issues with the 2 I have. http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-147/AK47-SIDE-LOW-PROFILE/Detail Take them off every time my guns go in the safe and always keep zero.A few have had issues with the rear scope rings needing shimming. Just a few. I really want the Midwest mount. Edited by rnemhrd

I have a red dot using the UTG mount. It doesn't allow the iron sights to be used. I just ordered a UTG PRO low profile mount to use with a Leopold VX-R scope I just picked up. The description for the mount says the top is "U-cut on Top for See-thru Application with Iron Sights" so it sounds like it sits pretty low. $59.95 http://store.carolin...6-U978S-/Detail

Edited by tchick

My utg mounts are centered on my S12 and 7.62. Funny thing it if I switch from gun to gun windage is the same at 50yds, only elevation is off. Doe'nt ask me why I tried that.

I plan on trying the red dot that's currently sighted in for my 7.62x39 on my .223 the next time I go to the range just to see how far off it is between the 2 rifles.

Edited by tchick

I have a red dot using the UTG mount. It doesn't allow the iron sights to be used. I just ordered a UTG PRO low profile mount to use with a Leopold VX-R scope I just picked up. The description for the mount says the top is "U-cut on Top for See-thru Application with Iron Sights" so it sounds like it sits pretty low. $59.95 http://store.carolin...6-U978S-/Detail

I just bought the same one...here's hoping, at minimum, its centered on the gun and, wishful thinking, I can actually use the irons sights like they claim.

My UTG Pro came in. It does allow the iron sights to be used through a V notch in the mount when it is mounted. I haven't purchased my scope rings yet because I was waiting for the mount to get here to take it with me to shop for rings.

IMG_20121201_161219.jpg

IMG_20121201_161246.jpg

Looks good! I bought the same one and installed it along with my red dot. My mount was slightly (1/8") off center (to the right) but didn't seem to make a difference. Hold zero pretty well but I CAN NOT use the irons with the red dot mounted. The mount itself is great but the flat mounting surface of the red dot blocks the irons.

Make sure you get proper rings!

My UTG Pro came in. It does allow the iron sights to be used through a V notch in the mount when it is mounted. I haven't purchased my scope rings yet because I was waiting for the mount to get here to take it with me to shop for rings.

IMG_20121201_161219.jpg

IMG_2433.jpgIMG_2434.jpgIMG_2435.jpghere those pics... their cheap and cheek weld suffers a lil bit but you get used to it. I can shoot it good enuff to kill coyotes neways

Please don't take offense to this but....you have to convert that gun and get rid of that scope mount/scope. That setup is one of the ugliest I have seen. lol. Just kidding, whatever floats your boat.

beer.gif

IMG_20121201_161219.jpg

IMG_20121201_161246.jpg

I looked at that and the issue I saw was where the mount fits in the rail channel to index it, it is going to block the V they mill out to see through as it has to go across the rail channel.

I looked at that and the issue I saw was where the mount fits in the rail channel to index it, it is going to block the V they mill out to see through as it has to go across the rail channel.

Yeah, you're right. Some rings may allow the notch to be used but most won't. I'm mounting a 1.25-4x scope on it. I don't really foresee needing to use my iron sights with this scope. This mount does sit lower than my other UTG mount and that's what I was looking for, a low sitting mount for my scope.

This is the optic I use and works great. http://kalinkaoptics.com/rifle-scopes/posp/ak-vepr-saiga-slr/posp-4x24-w-black-finish-1000-meter-rangefinder-rifle-scope-ak-version.html

Still able to use irons without any issues while the scope is mounted. Also I remove the scope after every range trip(it does not fit in my packed safe well with the scope on) and it holds zero perfect every time!

Pics just released yesterday.

http://www.theakforu...p?f=11&t=188849

That looks good. Well it does say you can use different uppers and the same lower, so I guess we will see if it stays tight with blue thread locker.That is my only concern with it. Edited by rnemhrd