what kind of press ar you using right now

Thinking about asking the wife for a reloader for x mas and was wondering what some of you are using and what are the pros and cons of your particular reloader. I would be using it for not only 223 and 5.56 but also pistol calibers as well. Any info will be considered valuable as I have never reloaded before

I use three different presses. A '60's vintage RCBS JR2 that I have been loading on since the 70's. It gets the most use, since I normally load small lots of 50-100 in about 30 different calibers. For high volume stuff, 500 - 5,000 piece runs, I use a Dillon 650. Then I have an RCBS AmmoMaster for the 450 Nitro Express and 50BMG. Both rounds are too long for a standard press.

Keep in mind, a Dillon style tube case feed won't work with some rebated rim cartridges, ie, the .50 Beowulf.

Tony

A Dillon 550b would be my choice, it can do about any caliber you may need (exception is 50bmg type stuff)

Tool changes (caliber changes ) are quick and simple.

It has a pretty high rate of production.

LIFE TIME warranty!!!! with no BS whatsoever

I have one in service for most of my rifle calibers, I load pistol on a Dillon RL1050..between 2 and 10 thousand rounds per month.

Jim

I'm using lee, as it is what I could afford and I'm just starting out. Bought mine as I am doing 9mm and 30-30 for myself and my friends can use it also for their 45acp, 30-06, 8mm, 7.62, and others as well. Its the Lee Classic Turret Press.

I was leaning twords Dillion but going back and forth between the 550 and the 650. thanks for the info guys

The main difference between the two machines is the 650 accepts the automatic case feeder and the 550 requires you to hand feed the cases into the machine.

If your cases are in good condition, the auto feed works great and you can actually load 1,000 rounds in an hour with two guys. The machine can be cycled so fast that you will be continuously running out of powder, bullets, cases, primers.........so with a second guy keeping the machine fed and clearing out the loaded ammo bin, you can really haul some serious ass. You can also install the powered case trimmer and trim 3,000 cases in an hour, with two guys.

If your cases are not in great shape....like miscelanous random range pick-up brass, the auto feeder will be a nightmare, since it will be jamming up all the time. In that case you are better off inspecting each case individually before feeding it into the machine.

I had a 450, 550, and 650 at one time. I just use the 650 now.

Dillon will also make you any custom conversion kit you want, even for goofy calibers. I had them put together a kit for the 440 CorBon Magnum and .458 SOCOM when they first came out.

Tony

now I'm looking at a Hornady Lock N load AP i think for the price it might be a direction to go in any one have any experience with one of these ?

just bought one have loaded around 1000 rounds of 9mm with it. it works well, the dillon is probably a better press. but for the money the hornady does a great job. to get the features the hornady has in a dillon will cost you a boat load more.

Depends on what you want to do. For a progressive, I will always recommend Dillon. Single stage, I am using a Forster Co-Ax these days; it's an extremely stout, and accurate press, that has been in production since the 1960s. It's a better "turret press" than any turret press due to the snap in/out die feature, and instead of buying extra turrets (to retain your die adjustments), you just buy extra lock rings. No need to buy a bunch of different shell holders because the automatic shell holder adjusts for almost every cartridge there is, and the other optional size will handle the rest. The only real disadvantages are that it doesn't have a long enough stroke for some of the newer ultra mag cartridges, and the priming mechanism sucks. But almost nobody primes using their press anyway; most people prime using a separate automatic priming mechanism instead.

But almost nobody primes using their press anyway; most people prime using a separate automatic priming mechanism instead.

I use the press to prime all the time, I am using the press, why not take advantage of the power it has.

Besides my old hands hurt from to many years pulling wrenchs and twisting a driver.

I use an RCBS Rock Chucker I inherited. So far I load for oddball cartridges like 7.5 Swiss. I do prime on the press but I may get a hand primer. I do want to do more volume loading for stuff I shoot more of and I haven't decided yet between the Lock-n-load AP or Dillon.

I use the press to prime all the time, I am using the press, why not take advantage of the power it has.

Besides my old hands hurt from to many years pulling wrenchs and twisting a driver.

I primed on my press (RCBS original Reloader Special) too, back when that was all that I had. Even bought an automatic feed for it and used that for a while. But a hand priming tool with an automatic feed is superior in every way; it's faster and gives you a better feel for when the primer bottoms in the pocket, which leads to more uniform seating. Priming on the press, you lose a lot of that feel. The extra power is not necessarily desirable for that task. Hand priming tools are not particularly expensive, either.

Hello

Well, I can't honestly say I'm using any reloader "right now" since I'm at work and they would likely view that as diversionary or some such shit.

But, when I'm at home I use my Dillon 650 and just plain love it. Get the well thought out bells n' whistles (like the case feeder) and you'll be a happy, efficient, and safe reloader. The audible powder checker has saved my ass more than once. I get the quick-change modules (pre-setup die holders and powder measure) so chnging calibers is nothing more than primer plate (maybe) and adjusting the powder alert device.

Probably one of the world's best companies to deal with.

-guido

I use a LEE 50th anniversary Classic "O" press. It can do any calibers from 17 up to 50 BMG. ( and I load those on it! )

It is a single stage... but it works perfectly! I LOVE IT and recommend them to ANYONE wanting to get into reloading, who doesnt need to load thousands of rounds at a time... :up:

:smoke:

I have a couple of single stage reloaders that I started out with about 30 years ago; quite frankly they're are a pain in the ass. I have a Dillon 650XL that I bought about 20 years ago. I have the automatic case feed, powder level alert, etc. I take my time, and do periodic quality checks (powder weight, OAL, etc) about every 200 rounds. I can still crank out over 500 rounds in an hour, at a leisurely pace. Once you fill each station, you produce a round with each lever pull; all you have to do is put a bullet in the open case mouth. I produce rounds that are just as accurate as the single stage reloaders, with less hassle. I even supplied .38 wadcutter reloads, many years ago, to the pistol team of one of our (un-named) stage agencies, because they felt my reloads were more accurate than the factory ammo the state supplied for their matches! The Dillon is more expensive, I guess, but the product support, durability, and output volume are well worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Pony-Express. I've been a shooter and reloader for over 40 years. Reloading is a a natural extension of the shooting sport. It's like a photographer who develops his own pictures. Or a race car driver who works on his own engine. The rewards are many. You won't really save any money, as you will just shoot more for the same amount. Nothing wrong with that!

If ya wanna start out cheap, the Lee Challenger Breech Lock kit for $109.99 from Midwayusa is a good deal and will certainly get the job done.

http://www.midwayusa...anniversary-kit

You should really watch the below video first. Then decide what you want. I have the blue Dillon 550B which is what he uses in the video. Dillon claims a rate of 500 rounds an hour can be loaded on their 550B. I'm a little slower and get about 300 rounds an hour. But that's still a heck of a lot faster than when I was using a single stage press. I reload for many different calibers. Do a YouTube search on reloading and you will find a ton of videos.

I have a shooting range on my property. I reclaim my all of my lead for casting my own bullets. As my only recurring costs are for powder and primers, I can reload any round that can use a cast bullet for $2.00 for a box of 50 rounds. That's pretty cheap. I'm currently working on a low velocity cast bullet load for my 5.56 Saiga. Something around 1000 FPS. It will turn it in to a single shot, but I don't care. I won't have to chase the darn brass. Other's have gotten good results at higher velocities with cast bullets by adding a gas check. Most would just use some sort of jacketed bullet to load 5.56, and I may try that to. Point is, one can experiment a bit. And that can be both rewarding and fun.

Happy reloading and always be safe,

Don <><

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irC3NuIKDm4

Edited by genesis5521
  • 2 months later...
I use a LEE 50th anniversary Classic "O" press. It can do any calibers from 17 up to 50 BMG. ( and I load those on it! )

It is a single stage... but it works perfectly! I LOVE IT and recommend them to ANYONE wanting to get into reloading, who doesnt need to load thousands of rounds at a time... 032.gif

000.gif

This works great for my needs as well!

I've recently gotten a Lee Loadmaster with some help from a couple of friends. I wouldn't want the pro 1000 based on it's reputation, but I am quite pleased with the load master. It works well, and fast. It is solid unlike some of the cheaper lee models, and seems to be overbuilt. Older versions had problematic priming systems, but they are 3 generations of improvement down the line now.

So far, I have done the recommended step of de-priming in station 1 with a universal die and using a sizing die in #2 to center the shells over the priming station. I have had no priming problems whatsoever. I keep the primer tray fairly full and top it off any time I have rotated the case feeder a few times.

It took a bit to figure out the combination of adjustments to dial in the case feeder, but now it is simple and functional. I like that a $25 assembly that comes with the press does the same job as an optional part that costs $400 alone on Hornady LNL and takes electricity.

I've been using it at a careful slow and steady pace since I am new to it and still easily crank out about 500 an hour. I expected it would take a while to work up to the volume and efficiency.

I expected a unit that costs around $250 would have lots of small hassles compared to $650 models like Dillon or Hornady's offerings, but I haven't seen them. I thought this would hold me over a few years until I could get a fancy rig like those two, but the more I use it, the more I think it will keep me happy for decades.

Also the cost of shell plates and turret discs for quick change to another caliber are about $20 for a shell plate if needed, and $9 for the turret versus about $75 or more on the competitors. it isn't just the initial purchase that is cheaper.

Compared to Dillon 650 and hornady LNL AP, those are smoother and have fancier case feeders. All 3 work.This doesn't have as nice a priming system, but the shell retention system is nicer than hornady. They all have the same number of stations, but Lee dedicates one to priming, so you effectively lose the convenient place for a powder cop in #3 as you would have in dillon or hornady. All in all, I am impressed with the quality of this model.

I also have the cheapest Lee single stage. This one is a cheapie, and obviously not as well made as single stage presses made by other brands. It is handy to use for load development or for the bullet puller, etc. You can get them for about $26, and they do the job. They are rickety and not as smooth or stable as a rock chucker. They lack the creamy compound leverage of nicer models. That said, I don't feel any compulsion to buy a rock chucker for $175 that does the same thing.

I was contemplating on the loadmaster before I made the choice of the classic turret press(4 hole). I may no be able to turn out 500rds/hr but 200 or so will be just fine for me.

I had the Classic 4-hole turret for years and it was a nice press. Never had problems with it. Got a bunch of Cabelas giftcards for Cabelas which is why I went to the Hornady LNL.

I'm only loading pistol rounds right now on a Dillon SDB. But if I were to load rifle I would but a Dillon 650press. A big difference between the 650 and 550 is the 550 you have to rotate the shell plate by hand while the 650 automatically rotates the shell plate everytime you pull the handle. I seen a lot of shooters forget to rotate the 550 and put a double charge in.

That's why I like automation. A friend here in town and on the forum has a 650 with most of the fancy things. it is nice, but he must have a grand or more into it and my one does pretty much the same thing for around $300.