This may seem like a dumb question, so forgive me. I have a barrel that had a standard FSB pinned on. I converted the rifle to a piston (Adams Arms Kit) and had to cut the FSB off because the pins wouldn't move. I am now currently converting it back to DI, and have a low pro gas block that I want to pin on. Question I have is, there are 2 pre-existing taper pin holes from the original FSB. The low pro does not even come close to line up with one of them, therefore I would have to drill a third hole. Will this extra hole cause any problems?

My main concern is developing a weak point on the barrel. The barrel is a medium SOCOM profiled barrel. The new block will cover all scars. These holes always look deeper than they really are but I just worry about stupid stuff like this. I run my rifles hard. They get hot and beat up, so I want to make sure the barrel will take the abuse.

Went ahead and just drilled for the set screws under the new gas block. I'm going to test it out and see how the set screws hold before I decide to drill another hole for a taper pin. Just wanted to share in case anyone else runs into something like this.

Should be just fine. On my 6.8SPC, the gas block was a YHM with rail, and it had set screws. Once you have everything lined up, lock it down and stake the screws so they don't back out.

Thanks for sharing. If you don't mind me asking, how did you stake the screws? Any pics of the staking job would be awesome. Also, how much abuse has the rifle seen? I plan to run this rifle through a course, and don't want to be that guy who's rifle is down, holding everyone up because of a screw.

Do you trust the rifle you staked?