Hand drill for FSB and GB installation?

I did, but you want to make extra sure you keep the drill as strait as possible while drilling. If not, you'll end up with your pins going in on an angle. Try not to wobble the drill either, as the pins may have a loose fit. If that happens, you could always use nails for the pins, if the standard pins are too loose.

I put my rifle in a vice when I did my drilling. It helped. Id rather have a drill press, but that wasnt an option at the time.

If the holes are already in the blocks themselves, a hand drill may be better. The drill will want to follow the pre existing hole so with a steady hand and a little care, all should go well. But if you use a press, it will be hard to line up the press with the holes perfectly and you could end up with an oversized/egged hole.

If you don't already have access to a press, and the blocks have holes already, I would use a handrill. Drill in a little bit on one side, then a little from the other.

If the blocks are new with no holes, I'd hold out for a press.

With a 20% off coupon, you can get a harbor freight drill press for about $50.

Edited by jbanzai

I used a hand drill too. Holes already in FSB and GB made it a lot easier. Just got to be careful, keep it straight and go slow. Think I went from each side a little at a time. A hand drill can go pretty slow and will do the job if it is your only option.

If the holes are already in the blocks themselves, a hand drill may be better. The drill will want to follow the pre existing hole so with a steady hand and a little care, all should go well. But if you use a press, it will be hard to line up the press with the holes perfectly and you could end up with an oversized/egged hole.

If you don't already have access to a press, and the blocks have holes already, I would use a handrill. Drill in a little bit on one side, then a little from the other.

If the blocks are new with no holes, I'd hold out for a press.

With a 20% off coupon, you can get a harbor freight drill press for about $50.

+1 If your blocks do have holes it helps to start out with smaller bits first (such as 3/32) then work your way up with 7/64 then 1/8 (or 3mm if you can actually find a 3mm cobalt bit). I wouldn't recommend anything else but colbalt bits! Stay away from black oxide! It will only lead to an endless stream of curse words - esp after you've broken your last one and the local hardware store is closed haha.gif Lowes carries colbalt bits, but only SAE unfortunately. And the only metric bits I can find online are black oxide.

Funny how lots of people doing this now with as little tools as possible.

I personally wouldn't freehand it.

I feel its a matter of personal confidence. I use power tools everyday for my job so I was more than confident that I could get it to come out respectable. If I was uncertain in my abilities, than I wouldnt freehand it.

Funny how lots of people doing this now with as little tools as possible.

I personally wouldn't freehand it.

I feel its a matter of personal confidence. I use power tools everyday for my job so I was more than confident that I could get it to come out respectable. If I was uncertain in my abilities, than I wouldnt freehand it.

Agree. I have the drill press and use the hand drill. Just works better for me.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...