Tac 47 Magwell Install Reviews/Pics/Questions

Just curious if anyone has close up pics of how this unit installs? Does the factory magazine release tab have to be removed? Does the Tac 47 Magwell reuse the release tab pin to mount the new magwell simialr to the SGM magwell? Does the install require drill/tap holes like the JTE magwell install? Since a trigger guard is attached to this magwell, will the 3 holes I already drilled for my CSS TG be reused or will I have to drill new holes in another location for the new incorporated TG/magwell?

I have all these questions because I plan on buying a magwell and I don't mind spending more money on top shelf parts, but for almost $200 I would like to know how the total install differs and compares to their competitors of this magwell product?

Edited by lsxevo

I will have to look at my install for complete details. I had a CSS Trigger Guard and a JTE Magwell installed then changed to the Tac Magwell. It was not a big deal.

The magazines have to be modified by removing the front and back lugs. The magazine locks in place using the side ribs. I reinforced the ribs and cut a slightly deeper notch for a better lock. My mags had been modified for the JTE magwell so I had to tweak them some. SGM magazines only.

• Like 1

I will have to look at my install for complete details. I had a CSS Trigger Guard and a JTE Magwell installed then changed to the Tac Magwell. It was not a big deal.

So did the TAC 47 magwell utilize the same three holes that you already drilled for the CSS trigger guard? Did the front of the new TAC 47 magwell use any of the previously drilled JTE holes? Pictures would be nice.

I will have to look for any instructions that I had but this a straight forward install.

I did not like having only 1 front screw holding the magwell. I drilled 2 holes to secure it. The previous hole from the JTE magwell did not line up with the Tac magwell but I had drilled it slightly off with the JTE magwell (my error).

2012-11-27_22-50-01_388.jpg

The rear holes lined up fine.

2012-11-27_22-51-36_996.jpg

The front edge of the magwell sits about .015" rearward of the existing edge.

2012-11-27_22-55-38_986.jpg

There is another mounting screw seen under the safety.

2012-11-27_22-53-23_783.jpg

Works like a charm.

2012-11-27_22-57-58_859.jpg

I had to add some material (epoxy & carbon fiber) to the magazines to catch properly since they had been modified for the JTE magwell (narrowed). Also cut under the rib into the body of the mag slightly for a more positive lock, others did this as well.

IMG_20120108_220633-1.jpg

I hope this helps.

• 3 months later...
I will have to look for any instructions that I had but this a straight forward install.

I did not like having only 1 front screw holding the magwell. I drilled 2 holes to secure it. The previous hole from the JTE magwell did not line up with the Tac magwell but I had drilled it slightly off with the JTE magwell (my error).

2012-11-27_22-50-01_388.jpg

The rear holes lined up fine.

2012-11-27_22-51-36_996.jpg

The front edge of the magwell sits about .015" rearward of the existing edge

There is another mounting screw seen under the safety.

2012-11-27_22-53-23_783.jpg

Works like a charm.

2012-11-27_22-57-58_859.jpg

I had to add some material (epoxy & carbon fiber) to the magazines to catch properly since they had been modified for the JTE magwell (narrowed). Also cut under the rib into the body of the mag slightly for a more positive lock, others did this as well.

IMG_20120108_220633-1.jpg

I hope this helps.

That edge you have .015" should be perfecty FLUSH. Not "close to flush" but FLUSH. (that edge can cause shells to hang)Even if you have to remove some material form the magwell bolt holes to allow you to move it. Then carefully tighten the bolt in the front and the one in the back even to keep it centered before messing with the other two.

That edge you have .015" should be perfecty FLUSH. Not "close to flush" but FLUSH. (that edge can cause shells to hang)Even if you have to remove some material form the magwell bolt holes to allow you to move it. Then carefully tighten the bolt in the front and the one in the back even to keep it centered before messing with the other two.

Where would the shells hang on? I just installed my TAC 47 magwell and modified my magazines with good results. With the parts being flush, are you talking about the very front of the magwell lining up flush with the block underside of the gun (as seen in the first picture above)?

Where would the shells hang on? I just installed my TAC 47 magwell and modified my magazines with good results. With the parts being flush, are you talking about the very front of the magwell lining up flush with the block underside of the gun (as seen in the first picture above)?

Yup, that little leading edge.. you might get away with it being a bit off, but its not guaranteed.

Going back and reading, you said it sits "forward" of the edge..which is a little better than having that ledge overhang.

Edited by poolingmyignorance