Pipe Cutting for Muzzle Brake Installation

Hi All,

After much research through the appropriate threads it's time for me to cut the muzzle fitting off the front of my Saiga x39. From the front of the FSB to the end of the barrel it measures a tick over 1-inch. The smallest pipe cutter I Have requires a minimum of 7/16-inch to the center of the wheel.

Questions I have not found answers for in my thread searches:

1. Does anyone have a "thinner" pipe cutter to recommend?

2. If I use mine, will 9/16-inch leave enough thread surface for most muzzle brakes?

3. What should I expect once I've cut to the barrel?

3A. One thread said it will "pop" ...does that mean it will then simply slide off?

3B. If there is no "pop," how will I know when I've reached the barrel... by measurement alone?

3C. Although I am pretty sure my barrel is not threaded, if it is, will the cut piece unscrew?

3D. Once the pipe cutter reaches the barrel, how is the old muzzle piece then removed?

Many thanks in advance of your experienced answers!

using a pipe cutter will result in a heavy burr on the inside of the barrel so you WILL have to ream it.

some places you can rent the threader.

http://www.mississip...ntal-p-485.html

DNR, I don't understand your reply. Since we're not cutting into the barrel, itself, but rather the bushing on the outside of the barrel... are you saying that cutting the bushing off leaves a burr on the inside of the barrel?

Think you are good to go Dyno. I just measured the cutter I used and it left slightly under 1/2" after the cut but more than 7/16. I fitted a Tapco Razor Break on mine nice and tight. Muzzle devices for the most part are threaded 5/8" deep.

Once you've cut deep enough, you will just feel the muzzle shroud come lose and easily slide off the barrel as in it'll fall off if you point the muzzle down toward the ground. If it's already threaded.. I don't know. I'd guess it'll unscrew lose.

As far as threading your muzzle if it's not already threaded, ask around your local forum to see if anyone has the tool and will let you borrow it. Don't rent it from the link above. The rental fee is more than what you could buy a set for. cncwarrior has the best price on them.

Have fun and good luck!

Think you are good to go Dyno. I just measured the cutter I used and it left slightly under 1/2" after the cut but more than 7/16. I fitted a Tapco Razor Break on mine nice and tight. Muzzle devices for the most part are threaded 5/8" deep.

Once you've cut deep enough, you will just feel the muzzle shroud come lose and easily slide off the barrel as in it'll fall off if you point the muzzle down toward the ground. If it's already threaded.. I don't know. I'd guess it'll unscrew lose.

As far as threading your muzzle if it's not already threaded, ask around your local forum to see if anyone has the tool and will let you borrow it. Don't rent it from the link above. The rental fee is more than what you could buy a set for. cncwarrior has the best price on them.

Have fun and good luck!

Good info... many thanks!

Hi All,

After much research through the appropriate threads it's time for me to cut the muzzle fitting off the front of my Saiga x39. From the front of the FSB to the end of the barrel it measures a tick over 1-inch. The smallest pipe cutter I Have requires a minimum of 7/16-inch to the center of the wheel.

Questions I have not found answers for in my thread searches:

1. Does anyone have a "thinner" pipe cutter to recommend?

2. If I use mine, will 9/16-inch leave enough thread surface for most muzzle brakes?

3. What should I expect once I've cut to the barrel?

3A. One thread said it will "pop" ...does that mean it will then simply slide off?

3B. If there is no "pop," how will I know when I've reached the barrel... by measurement alone?

3C. Although I am pretty sure my barrel is not threaded, if it is, will the cut piece unscrew?

3D. Once the pipe cutter reaches the barrel, how is the old muzzle piece then removed?

Many thanks in advance of your experienced answers!

1. I use a Rigid No. 150 with steel wheels.

2. Yup. Some of mine are less than that and have not budged after a bunch of rounds over the years.

3. The shroud will let loose. It will be free and you will know it instantly. Dont worry about cutting your barrel friend. The shroud you just cut will pop off. Just slide it off and you got virgin Russian barrel :)

1. I use a Rigid No. 150 with steel wheels.

2. Yup. Some of mine are less than that and have not budged after a bunch of rounds over the years.

3. The shroud will let loose. It will be free and you will know it instantly. Dont worry about cutting your barrel friend. The shroud you just cut will pop off. Just slide it off and you got virgin Russian barrel smile.png

Thanks, Sarge!